Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Big Green Egg vs Large Weber Grill

Options
2»

Comments

• dimitrios713
    Options

I have owned my large egg for just over 3 weeks.  I own a gas grill, BBQ grill and another smoker.  I have not uncovered them since my new purchase.  It only takes me a few minutes to replenish the charcoal, light it and get it to the correct temp (BBQ Guru (DigiQ) is the bomb and a must have.  Clean up takes no time at all.  There is very ash to clean.  We have been cooking cooking on the egg about 5 out of 7 days.

Just my 2 cents..

Coral Springs, Florida- Dimitrious

• IndyDrew
    Options
    I think this is like comparing apples and eggs. The Weber gas grill is fantastic for grilling, especially when you get home late and just want to throw on a couple of burgers. In short, it's quick and easy. It's also easier to set up with multiple temperature zones for grilling multiple foods at the same time. It is not a great tool for smoking low and slow. Too many gaps, heat loss, etc.
    The BGE is great for grilling when you have a little bit more time to get the fire rolling. Of course, the BGE is far superior to any gas grill for baking, smoking, or anything else that involves temperature control over an extended period of time.
    I have 7 Weber grills, both charcoal and gas, and love them all. I also have a BGE and love it. Different tools for different jobs.
  • Mike_the_BBQ_Fanatic
    edited November 2013
    Options
    Wow...7 webers and an egg..would like to see pics of that outdoor kitchen
    Making the neighbors jealous in Pleasant Hill, Ia one cook at a time...
  • Alphonse
    Options
    Egg is fantastic and I am delighted I have had one for about three years.  I use it often and highly recommend getting one.  I wish all my friends and family had one.  That said, it is not quick and requires a little fussing over to get it going.

I also have a gas grill that is fired off natural gas feed from my house service, love it too.  I also have a big wood fired pit and love it as well.  I use them all and find myself using all depending on what and how I want to cook.  The gas grill is quick and easy to fire up and shut down.  So when I am in a hurry, it is the go to solution.  The one I have was acquired through the utility company and it is top drawer.
    Alan in LA (Lower Alabama that is)
    "If you must choose between two evils, pick the one you've never tried before!" 
  • tksmoke
    tksmoke Posts: 776
    Options

I put off getting a BGE because my work schedule leaves very little time for long prep.  I've used my Weber Genesis (and kettles) for well over 30 years.  A friend prepared one of the best meals I've experienced on his BGE, and I was overcome with BBQ envy.  Last spring I finally made the plunge into Eggdom, and in spite of my work schedule, I've used the Egg an average of 3 times a week.  The Weber has sat idle the entire time.  It is slightly more work for "fast cooks", requiring about 25 minutes from pulling the cover off to putting the dinner on.  But the quality of the food cooked on the Egg, and the ease of maintaining a stable temperature, far overshadow the inconvenience.  And for longer cooks, there is absolutely no comparison - the Weber isn't in the same league as the Egg. 

There is a learning curve, and there are lot of gadgets and techniques that greatly enhance the utility.  And this forum provides an incredible wealth of information.  Hey - this is big fun and there is huge satisfaction to be derived from elevating your game; not to mention the great eats.

Santa Paula, CA
  • PA Dutch Egger
    Options
    I agree with with what BigWader said.  if she wants quick grilling for burgers, chicken, hot dogs, etc gas grill is the way to go.  If she wants to eat in 20 min. gasser is the answer.  For best taste BGE comes out on top.
  • bvdw
    bvdw Posts: 37
    Options
    Go GREEN... Sell the Weber on Criaglist... I did..
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    The versatility of the Egg alone makes it an easy decision. Throw in the fact that cooking with charcoal is a whole nuther world, and there is very little comparison.
    Cheers!
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Gogogordy
    Gogogordy Posts: 460
    edited November 2013
    Options
    Yes, different 'cues make for more, and different fun! Variety being the spice of life. I have several 'cues and "only" one of them being a BGE, although it IS my most luxurious one! I also use, and really enjoy my vintage Luhr Jensen electric smoker. I feel badly for those who enjoy cooking and don't explore the different methods of doing the same thing...thats half the fun to me. When I get a new OCD (outdoor cooking device, NOT the "other OCD. Although those who know me....) I still keep my other ones and still use and enjoy them. After all, it isn't ALL about the tool....
    When I'm not Eggin', I'm scootin'   Eggin' and 'cueing from Temecula Ca; an hour from San Diego, an hour and five minutes from Palm Springs, and an hour and a half from Los Angeles (yeah, right. With THAT traffic?)
  • dweebs0r
    dweebs0r Posts: 539
    Options
    I gave away my Weber infrared gas grill and the Weber kettle.  After using the egg for a while I realized that the other grills would never be used again.
       -Jody Newell (LBGE & a 36" Blackstone griddle).
  • STBS
    STBS Posts: 8
    Options
    In competition cook offs I use two WSMs, one XLg BGE and a converted LP tank on a trailer. The Weber WSMs are a great for the price, but if I had to reduce inventory down to one - BGE will still be there. Ya just can't beat it for quality cooks...