Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Foodsaver pulled pork

Options
I smoked a Boston butt awhile back. After pulling it I vac sealed it in 1-2 lb packs. I plan to reheat by boiling in the bag. Two questions.

1) Do I thaw before reheating?

2) How long do I boil each pack?

Thanks

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

Comments

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    I have always thawed, placed in pan with about a cup of apple cider or apple juice then cover with foil and heat in oven at 250 for about 30-40 mins. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    I made the mistake of boiling PP in the vac-seal bag once. The bag shredded or melted and I had to toss all of it. Do a forum search and you will find help on the temp to warm it up.
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • MrCookingNurse
    Options
    I usually always run hot water over my bag to break it loose from the bag. Than I toss the PP log into a crock pot on low with some water'd down BBQ sauce. That's how we eat PP for supper.

Sometimes I let it thaw and then cook it in a skillet with jalepenoes and salsa for tacos or nachos.

XLBGE 
  • radamo
    radamo Posts: 373
    Options
    Surprised at these answers.  I have always thrown the bag into boiling water while still frozen and about 20 minutes later it tastes as good as when I sealed it up... Have never had a bag "shred".  How did that happen?
    Long Island, NY
  • Jebpot
    Jebpot Posts: 374
    Options
    170 degrees

XL and Small

Chattanooga, TN

• Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    radamo said:
    Surprised at these answers.  I have always thrown the bag into boiling water while still frozen and about 20 minutes later it tastes as good as when I sealed it up... Have never had a bag "shred".  How did that happen?
    We used the FoodSaver freezer bags. SHMBO fired up the stove top with a pan of water, once it was boiling drop it in. In 15-20 min only the top of the bag was there. I think the temp was way to high.
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • radamo
    radamo Posts: 373
    Options
    Wow,  I will have to watch out for that... Didn't think that plastic bags would melt at 211?  
    Long Island, NY
  • jfm0830
    jfm0830 Posts: 987
    edited November 2013
    Options
    The FoodSaver folks recommend the temperature of 170°. This warms the food up without recooking it . In my experience, it is gentle enough that pulled pork actually comes out better the second time around than it does freshly pulled. The vacuum action acts like a super marinader: it infuses the pork with Flavor from the sauce.

My bags are typically about a pound or pound and a quarter each. I am typically eating 3 to 4 a time and use a big pot of water. it usually takes about 30 minutes to get the water stabilized at 170 and then about 45 minutes to heat the pulled pork. I measure the 45 minutes after I get the water temperatures back up to 170 once the cold bags of food are in the bath. I use a candy thermometer in the pan to measure the water temperatures.

The beauty of this approach is once you get your times down, the reheat process is very predictable. An added bonus is because you're not cooking the food, just reheating it, if your are late you can keep it on longer at 170 and it really doesn't hurt the end product. Since I started using this process, I never make the pulled pork on the same day that I'm going to use it. This has saved me a lot of overnighters. Now I can just cook it during the day on someday where i'm going to be home all day.

Good luck with that !! I think you'll really like it.
    Jim
    3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.
  • tactical_66
    Options
    I always put my food saver bags into a pot of boiling water then I reduce the temp.  After 15 - 20 minutes it turns out great.  I have never had an issue doing it this way.
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,657
    Options
    Thanks for everyone's advice. I knew I could count on you guys.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options

like radamo and shtgnal13, I do thawed PP in Food Saver bags for 20 min in lightly boiling water.

Never any problems.

John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    +1 on what Jim said- shoot for water temp around 170 and it takes about 30 minutes or so if thawed, depending on the size of the bag.  I just take the bag out and sort of feel around with my fingers while squeezing to make sure it feels nice and warm.  When it is ready...it should hurt a little ;) 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• FearlessTheEggNoob
    FearlessTheEggNoob Posts: 888
    edited November 2013
    Options
    Things like this are what makes the Sous Vide Demi easily my most used appliance. Set the temp, drop the bag in frozen or thawed, then come back after a couple hours.

Right now it's performing double duty, thawing out some crockpot boiled peanuts and cooking New Potatoes. And it supposedly only uses 60w of power.
    Gittin' there...
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    A sous vide would definitely make this a complete no-brainer!   For now, I get by with a thermapen, pot, and stove top ;).

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• FearlessTheEggNoob
    FearlessTheEggNoob Posts: 888
    edited November 2013
    Options
    I've boiled a pot of water dry before.

so...yeah... #:-S
    Gittin' there...
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Options
    Like some of the others, I put the bag, frozen or not, in a pan of water and keep it at a simmer until the temp feels right.  I have done with PP as well as frozen leftover slices of prime rib.  If you keep the temp under control you can maintain even medium or medium rare doneness.  A Sous Vide setup would sure make it easy, but it can be done the redneck way
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    I've melted a bag in boiling water before. The ham dried out (ham not pulled pork), but I did end up with some nice ham flavored water. DOH!!

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings