Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Brining then drying in refrigerator?

I'm planning to brine a big turkey (24 lbs or so) for between 24-36 hours and then let it sit in the fridge for about 10 hours to dry the skin.  Am I negating the effects of the brine by doing that?  My gut tells me no (and I think I've done it with chicken) but I'm not sure - purpose of drying is to make the skin a little crispier when smoked (I'm sort of iffy on whether that actually works but...)
·

Comments

• HDumptyEsqHDumptyEsq Posts: 1,095
    It makes a sticky film over the skin called a pellicle. It helps smoke adhere to the skin.

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

Medium BGE, New Braunfels off-set smoker, 3-burner Charbroiler gasser, mainly used for Eggcessory  storage, old electric upright now used for Amaz-N-Smoker.

"I like cooking with wine - sometimes I put it in the food." - W. C. Fields

·
  • billyraybillyray Posts: 1,122
    Also, the rest in the fridge allows the salt from the brine to disperse through out the bird.
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small and waiting on a mini
    ·
  • It will absolutely make the skin crispier and this is exactly the way you are supposed to do it after a brine. You are 100% on the right track. 

·
  • Thanks all!

Cross your fingers.  First whole turkey I've done on the Egg, did a couple bone in breasts last year and turned out great, but I didn't have to worry about white/dark meat temperature difference on those.  I'm putting it on at between 300-325 with temperature probes in breast and thigh and lettin it go.
    ·
  • calikingcaliking Posts: 6,945
    It will absolutely make the skin crispier and this is exactly the way you are supposed to do it after a brine. You are 100% on the right track. 

+1

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
    ·
  • dihtndihtn Posts: 177
    Do you leave it completely exposed in the fridge or do you wrap it with something?
    ·
  • DMWDMW Posts: 6,801
    dihtn said:
    Do you leave it completely exposed in the fridge or do you wrap it with something?

Completely exposed. I put cooling racks on a sheet pan and put the meat on the racks. You want air to be able to circulate around the meat. Sometimes I'll put a small fan in the fridge to keep air moving. When the compressor of the fridge runs it dries the air as part of the process. At least on a frost free fridge, which all recent ones are.
    My Facebook Place where I document my cooking
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - Hasty Bake Legacy - Black Stone Pizza Oven - Gasser - 30" Firepit w/SS Cooking Grid
    ·
    Thanks.  I suppose I could just put it on the V-rack?
    ·
    dihtn said:
    Thanks.  I suppose I could just put it on the V-rack?

Don't see why not, you will get juice, so make sure you have a pan under the v rack with sides. A flat cookie sheet with the v rack on it would be a big mess in the morning.
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - Hasty Bake Legacy - Black Stone Pizza Oven - Gasser - 30" Firepit w/SS Cooking Grid
    ·
    Thanks again for the tips!!
    ·
  • TerrebanditTerrebandit Posts: 1,317
    So you dry the skin and then put oil/butter on it just before it goes in the egg?
    Dave - Austin, TX
    ·
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 14,417
    Alex, what is... "what I'm doing to my liver this weekend"?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
    ·
  • AquacopAquacop Posts: 468
    Another quick question, do you rinse the brine off prior to air drying in the fridge or after?
    LBGE 2013 Located in Savannah, Georgia
    ·
    So you dry the skin and then put oil/butter on it just before it goes in the egg?

Yes
    Morgantown, PA

·
    edited November 2013
    Aquacop said:
    Another quick question, do you rinse the brine off prior to air drying in the fridge or after?

Rinse as soon as you take it out of the brine, then pat dry and put in the fridge.
    Morgantown, PA

·
  • bodskibodski Posts: 361
    How long can you let it air dry? If I put it in the fridge before bed tonight, it will probably be 14 - 15 hours before it goes in the Egg. Is that OK?

Cincinnati

LBGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Gasser

·
  • Mattman3969Mattman3969 Posts: 4,705
    edited November 2013
    henapple said:

Alex, what is... "what I'm doing to my liver this weekend"?

You must have chosen "Alcihol for $500"

-----------------------------------------

Large BGE. Small BGE Henderson, Ky.
    ·
    bodski said:

How long can you let it air dry? If I put it in the fridge before bed tonight, it will probably be 14 - 15 hours before it goes in the Egg. Is that OK?

Yes, that will be fine. Most say up to 24 hours. Due to timing last weekend I went 30 hours and it was fine.
    Morgantown, PA

·
  • AquacopAquacop Posts: 468
    Thanks for the help
    LBGE 2013 Located in Savannah, Georgia
    ·
  • tdub4tdub4 Posts: 73
    Do you still baste if the turkey has been brined?
    ·
    tdub4 said:
    Yes, I did. I didn't time my basting, just when did it when I remembered to. With 1/2 bottle wine + 2 stick of butter, there is plenty of fluid in the pan for basting after the 1st hour or so.
    Morgantown, PA

·
  • 500500 Posts: 1,644
    tdub4 said:
    I'm not basting.  The Egg retains moisture very well, and I think basting prevents the crispy skin and doesn't add moisture to the bird.  Keep the lid closed and rely on the approximate time but more importantly temp.  Just my opinion. 
    Large BGE; Midlothian, Virginia
    I like Pig Butts and I can not lie.
    "Barbecue is a journey, one meal at a time."
    ·
  • I was just planning to throw a couple sticks of butter (sliced) on top of it the last couple hours of the cook.  Then wrap it up.
    ·