Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Questions re: searing steaks

Options
GeoM
GeoM Posts: 7
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just got my brand-new large BGE and am ready for my first cook!
Thought I would go with steaks at high temps. Two questions.
When searing before the dwell, is the dome kept open or closed?
What temp would most consider to be medium (pink, warm center)?
I want them just like NB's "purty" picture.[p]GeoM

Comments

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    GeoM, Looks like your gonna eat well. Here is what I would do as I am trying to discourage those blast furnace steak cooks.
    Yes, you can do it with both the top and bottom vents wide open..but add this little wrinkle to the cook and possibly save a firechamber from fracturing.[p]When the dome temperatures reach 700 F, place the steaks over the hottest coals, usually in the center area of the grill. If you loading the grill with steaks, use a double grill so you can rotate the grill & steaks as well as flipping em. [p]Thicker steaks take more time, so lets use 1 1/2 inch thick ribeye for a idea.[p]1 1/2 minutes, dome closed then rotate to get the diamond mesh look.
    Then cook the other side after flipping for the full 3 minutes and no need to create the waffle look as you will serve the first side up.
    After your 6 minutes close top and bottom vents and leave for 4 to 5 minutes for a medium steak. Shorten times for medium rare to rare. This is your "Dwell" or "simmer" period to finish the steak. [p]Assuming you have seasoned to your hearts desire. [p]When done...do this one particular thing..leave the bottom vent "CLOSED" to prevent a influx of cold air. "OPEN" the top vent to allow oxygen to flow inside the dome and down to the firechamber. Then barely open the dome a crack and close again. I call this waffling the dome up and down to get more air to the fire. This will help to prevent a flareup of the fire and reignite the gases and once that is done your safe to open and remove the steaks..It only takes a fraction of a minute to accomplish.
    This is long but I hope fruitfull...Cheers...C~W[p]

• Char-Woody
    Options
    And do wear long leather or insulated gloves on the lifting arm to protect yourself from steam and or a flareup..These things ain't toy's. :-) Also, allow only trained people to operated the unit, especially when using the self locking bands..Unknowing individuals trying to operate the dome have caused some dome and band damage. Just hints to help ya along.
    Cheers again..C~W[p]

• Anthony Up North
    Options
    GeoM,[p]People like to do steaks differently. Most do them high and fast. I like them medium heat and a slow-fast.[p]Tonight I did a 1 1/2 inch thick - pound and a half size sirloin. Rubbed it with Montreal Steak seasoning three hours before grilling. [p]I seared it in a steel pan on the electric range about( 1 to 2 minutes each side) at high heat. Then I put in a polder probe, internal temp at this time was 65 degrees.[p]Then I put on a grill that began at 350 degrees but later went down to 325. In about 10-12 minutes steak was at 110 degrees internal. Flipped it. Then grilled until internal temp was 148 degrees, about another 10 minutes. [p]By the time I got the steak on the dinner platter it was about 150 degrees - a nice medium pink - slightly charred on outside, with beautiful grill marks, super juicy on inside and quite tender for a sirloin. And very yummy!![p]Good luck on your try whatever way you decide to do it.[p]Anthony [p]

• Anthony Up North
    Options
    Char-Woody,[p]C-W. Sometimes long is necessary to be complete and clear. (CC) Better to be CC than SF - Short and fuzzy. Either long or short, I have generally found you C-W, to be CC.[p]Cheers to you.[p]Anthony

• Char-Woody
    Options
    Anthony Up North, Thanks..your doing nicely yourself!
    Happy Q, safely!
    C~W[p]

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    GeoM,
    Howdy!
    Congrats on your purchase. You have many good days ahead of you. CW really gave you the lowdown on the higher temp sear/dwell method. That is pretty much exactly as I did the ones I posted the pictures of. [p]A mustard slather all over the steak before applying the rub (or sometimes just black pepper) does wonders to give you a nice crust. Put those babies right in the fire when you sear them. The flames are usually leaping pretty good at those temps...but the sear time is so short they don't burn....just nice sear marks. And best steak you ever had.[p]Have fun!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • char buddy
    char buddy Posts: 562
    Options
    Char-Woody,[p]Friendly question for ya, char-woody. Does cooking at super-high temps (over 700) "cause" firebox cracking?

• Char-Woody
    Options
    char buddy, I think there are many factors at work here. First, let me explain my thoughts on the firechamber. Its nothing but a air ducting mechanism and support for the firegrate and the charcoal. It matters little if the material is made deliberately in 2, 3, or even 4 sections or parts or pieces and then set together to form a chamber. It still works as a support.
    The cracks, both minor and major are very diffused from one unit to another, which leads me to believe that the amounts of accumulated ash in the firechamber and the wall separating the chamber and the outer wall has a insulating affect on the firechamber itself. Thus creating a vary stressfull variation of temperature zones in the material.
    Let me illustrate this idea. The units are all made from high grade ceramics..Same stuff as the dome and lower unit. The recent grades of ceramics used in the BGE have such a low almost non existant cracking problem making them so rare they belong in a vault..:-)
    They (firechambers and inner parts) are fired in access of any temperature you can achieve in the BGE..and no cracks. So that only leaves one alternative. High heat (near kiln temperatures) with sudden cooler air striking the chamber in distorted air movements from the lower ash vent, causing irregular cracks, both vertical, and horizontal.
    Again, these present *NO* mechanical problem in the operation of the units...IMHO its a lot of cackle in the henhouse..pardon the pun...Thats it in a nutshell as far as this cook is concerned...
    Cheers...C~W[p]

• char buddy
    char buddy Posts: 562
    Options
    Char-Woody,[p]You sir are now my new guru and guide to life. [p]Thanks for the post.