Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New A-Maze-N smoker came in... but something is amiss...

Options
Does this look funny to you guys?

SBGE December 2012 •  XLBGE December 2013 •  Yoder YS640 July

Comments

• bettysnephew
    Options

For short term smoking only.

Definitely a manufacturing error there.

A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • laserdoc85
    Options
    yep but I bet it will still work. Unless you want to send it back.Depends if you want to mess with the hassle and stuff. Me,,,I would just use it
    Jefferson .GA.  
    Been egging since 1985 on a medium egg
  • bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    Options
    Musta been made on a Monday.. L-)

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Unlikely to affect performance, but its your call whether you want to exchange it or not. It will require at least a call/email and a trip to the post office, I think.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Ha! Yeah, it really won't affect performance but I would send them a photo and ask for a new one. You should still be able to use it over the holiday if that was your plan. where did you get it? 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    I'm a stickler I like my stuff new and how its supposed to be if I pay full price.
    Seattle, WA
  • BizGreenEgg
    Options
    Mine showed up the same way. Didn't really care and it worked just fine. Loaded up the first 2 rows and it smoked cheese for 6 hours with some leftover. 
    Large BGE & mini stepchild & a KJ Jr.
    The damp PNW 
  • jtippers
    jtippers Posts: 512
    Options
    I ordered off Amazon... I called the manufacturer (Todd) and he said he would get it replaced for me. He took my number and said he was going to call the distributor to see the best way to handle it... said I would hear back from him today. 

I'll update as I get more info...

• cjham9985
    Options
    maybe it's because I don't know the product, but what is in question here? The only thing I see is those dark spots which look like it's from the welds. Sorry guys, new user here. But would love to know what the product is for.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I'm having trouble finding the issue too...this is like one of those "what's missing in this picture" Highlights magazines games :P. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Doh...now I see it.  The maze walls need to be relocated so that you can light at one of the holes and the fire will make a path.  Basically the maze should "end" at a hole. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• jtippers
    Options
    BINGO!  :)

How long do you guys cold smoke bacon? That was my main reason for purchasing this product... I thought I read on Cen Tex's tutorial that he let his go until it burned out (10-12 hours?). Does it matter if it burns less time?

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I let it go all night but you can stop in whenever you are ready. I like the overnight smoke so I just let it run. 
  • jtippers
    Options
    Since the bacon is cured with the pink salt, do you have to worry about leaving the bacon out all night?

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Mine showed up like that as well. I called them and they took care of it. I did purchase direct from them, not Amazon.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • caliking
    Options
    @jtippers - I didn't notice that the holes were in the wrong place. I thought you were talking about the column on the left being slightly askew. I change my vote - get it replaced. Yes, you could use it productively by not lighting through the cut out holes (which are in the wrong spot), but you paid good money for a new product. Somebody else posted recently about the holes in the wrong position on the one they received too. Possibly a bad batch, or someone wasn't paying attention during assembly. 

• jtippers
    Options
    Update:

I heard back from Todd. They are sending me a replacement smoker at no charge. He even let me keep the faulty one for the trouble.

From all indications, these folks run a stand up outfit.

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    jtippers said:
    Update: I heard back from Todd. They are sending me a replacement smoker at no charge. He even let me keep the faulty one for the trouble. From all indications, these folks run a stand up outfit.

Glad it worked out, same experience here. I put some screen patches over the holes to keep the pellets from falling out while I waited for the replacement to arrive. It worked so well the new one is still in the box.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Charlesmaneri
    Options
    jtippers I assume this is for cold smoking I imagine that that goes under the grill in the egg with no other fire at all am I correct with my thoughts ?
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I bought direct from them and they were great. Very helpful. I would have been stunned if they didn't jump all over this and take care of you guys. hey, you have a collector's item now......maybe some trade bait for someone on here who has something you like and doesn't care about the holes

• grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    @Charlesmaneri yes you put in a cleaned out egg right on top of the hi que or whatever. Open up vent fully with no daisy. Then walk away. I do mine the day after thanksgiving so all the cheese is ready for Christmas.
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• caliking
    Options
    It seems like its easy for some companies to not be aggressive about providing good customer service or a good customer experience, so its nice to hear about companies that are eager to make sure their customers are satisfied with their product. Kudos to Todd and his team. 

• laserdoc85
    laserdoc85 Posts: 577
    edited November 2013
    Options
    jtippers said:
    Update: I heard back from Todd. They are sending me a replacement smoker at no charge. He even let me keep the faulty one for the trouble. From all indications, these folks run a stand up outfit.
    Do you have Todd's number. I ordered off amazon but if I get mine like that I figure I would call him as he already knows of the problem. Should get mine in on friday
    Jefferson .GA.  
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,660
    Options
    I ordered one today. It's nice to know they take care of their customers.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• twlangan
    twlangan Posts: 307
    Options
    I would have contacted them to let them know that it slipped through and just drilled new holes where they were supposed to be.
  • jtippers
    Options
    @laserdoc85 - Sure, it's 952-736-7678. I would definitely order from them again.

Good luck!

• Mike_the_BBQ_Fanatic
    Options
    grege345 said:
    @Charlesmaneri yes you put in a cleaned out egg right on top of the hi que or whatever. Open up vent fully with no daisy. Then walk away. I do mine the day after thanksgiving so all the cheese is ready for Christmas.
    Just wondering why you would need to remove any leftover lump? Concern the pellets would ignite it?
    Making the neighbors jealous in Pleasant Hill, Ia one cook at a time...
  • laserdoc85
    Options
    How long you doing cheese with this little jewel? I just did a bunch on my Bradley smoker and cold smoked for 2 hours at 80 degrees . it is now vacuum sealed and in the frig until Xmas morning. I thought I saw someone say they did 6 hours !!!  What I have read that is way way to long. 2 to 2.5 was the standard. Also with this amaze can you regulated the heat at all? What was your temp throughout the whole smoking process either for cheese or bacon
    Jefferson .GA.  
  • laserdoc85
    laserdoc85 Posts: 577
    edited November 2013
    Options
    Just got mine in. It is messed up also. :(
    Guess I will give Todd a call.
    Just spoke with him and he is sending a new one.
    He said it will still work but getting a new one anyway. He said keep and give it away to an ex wife :) No problem :)
    Jefferson .GA.