Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brining then drying in refrigerator?

Options
I'm planning to brine a big turkey (24 lbs or so) for between 24-36 hours and then let it sit in the fridge for about 10 hours to dry the skin.  Am I negating the effects of the brine by doing that?  My gut tells me no (and I think I've done it with chicken) but I'm not sure - purpose of drying is to make the skin a little crispier when smoked (I'm sort of iffy on whether that actually works but...)

Comments

• HDumptyEsq
    HDumptyEsq Posts: 1,095
    Options
    It makes a sticky film over the skin called a pellicle. It helps smoke adhere to the skin.

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

Medium BGE, New Braunfels off-set smoker, 3-burner Charbroiler gasser, mainly used for Eggcessory  storage, old electric upright now used for Amaz-N-Smoker.

"I like cooking with wine - sometimes I put it in the food." - W. C. Fields

• billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    Options
    Also, the rest in the fridge allows the salt from the brine to disperse through out the bird.
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    It will absolutely make the skin crispier and this is exactly the way you are supposed to do it after a brine. You are 100% on the right track. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Hill_Country_BGE
    Options
    Thanks all!

Cross your fingers.  First whole turkey I've done on the Egg, did a couple bone in breasts last year and turned out great, but I didn't have to worry about white/dark meat temperature difference on those.  I'm putting it on at between 300-325 with temperature probes in breast and thigh and lettin it go.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    It will absolutely make the skin crispier and this is exactly the way you are supposed to do it after a brine. You are 100% on the right track. 

+1

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • dihtn
    dihtn Posts: 234
    Options
    Do you leave it completely exposed in the fridge or do you wrap it with something?
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    dihtn said:
    Do you leave it completely exposed in the fridge or do you wrap it with something?

Completely exposed. I put cooling racks on a sheet pan and put the meat on the racks. You want air to be able to circulate around the meat. Sometimes I'll put a small fan in the fridge to keep air moving. When the compressor of the fridge runs it dries the air as part of the process. At least on a frost free fridge, which all recent ones are.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • dihtn
    Options
    Thanks.  I suppose I could just put it on the V-rack?
  • DMW
    Options
    dihtn said:
    Thanks.  I suppose I could just put it on the V-rack?

Don't see why not, you will get juice, so make sure you have a pan under the v rack with sides. A flat cookie sheet with the v rack on it would be a big mess in the morning.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • dihtn
    Options
    Thanks again for the tips!!
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    So you dry the skin and then put oil/butter on it just before it goes in the egg?
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Alex, what is... "what I'm doing to my liver this weekend"?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Aquacop
    Aquacop Posts: 481
    Options
    Another quick question, do you rinse the brine off prior to air drying in the fridge or after?
    LBGE 2013 Located in Savannah, Georgia
  • DMW
    Options
    So you dry the skin and then put oil/butter on it just before it goes in the egg?

Yes
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• DMW
    edited November 2013
    Options
    Aquacop said:
    Another quick question, do you rinse the brine off prior to air drying in the fridge or after?

Rinse as soon as you take it out of the brine, then pat dry and put in the fridge.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• bodski
    bodski Posts: 463
    Options
    How long can you let it air dry? If I put it in the fridge before bed tonight, it will probably be 14 - 15 hours before it goes in the Egg. Is that OK?

Cincinnati

LBGE, Weber Kettle

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    edited November 2013
    Options
    henapple said:

Alex, what is... "what I'm doing to my liver this weekend"?

You must have chosen "Alcihol for $500"

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • DMW
    Options
    bodski said:

How long can you let it air dry? If I put it in the fridge before bed tonight, it will probably be 14 - 15 hours before it goes in the Egg. Is that OK?

Yes, that will be fine. Most say up to 24 hours. Due to timing last weekend I went 30 hours and it was fine.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• Aquacop
    Aquacop Posts: 481
    Options
    Thanks for the help
    LBGE 2013 Located in Savannah, Georgia
  • tdub4
    tdub4 Posts: 124
    Options
    Do you still baste if the turkey has been brined?
  • DMW
    Options
    tdub4 said:
    Yes, I did. I didn't time my basting, just when did it when I remembered to. With 1/2 bottle wine + 2 stick of butter, there is plenty of fluid in the pan for basting after the 1st hour or so.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

500 Posts: 3,177
    Options
    tdub4 said:
    I'm not basting.  The Egg retains moisture very well, and I think basting prevents the crispy skin and doesn't add moisture to the bird.  Keep the lid closed and rely on the approximate time but more importantly temp.  Just my opinion. 
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • Hill_Country_BGE
    Options
    I was just planning to throw a couple sticks of butter (sliced) on top of it the last couple hours of the cook.  Then wrap it up.