Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spiral Ham experiment.

imageimageimage
I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Sure looks good from here
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Keefer
    Keefer Posts: 120
    LOOKS great! How did it taste? What brand was it? What temp? How Long? What wood did you use? I'm so full of questions because I think I just saw Christmas dinner flash before my eyes!!!
  • flynnbob
    flynnbob Posts: 665
    details, details
    Milton, GA.
  • Sorry guys when I posted last night it was a little late and forgot to provide details.  It was just a store brand honey ham that was spiral sliced. I did steak and wings for dinner last night and when I got done figured I'd throw the ham on and see how long it took.  Used apple and pecan for smoke. Probably about 2 hours at about 300*  It was pretty darn good.  
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • Hey Guys, I've got a question about these store bought hams.  I've looked at every spiraled ham at the grocery store and they all say pre-cooked.  Is that the style you still want to buy and smoke for a few hours because I'm not having any luck finding raw hams.
  • Unless you are at a specialty meat shop or butcher you probably won't find raw ham without ordering it ahead of time.  This was a precooked spiral ham. 
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Hey Guys, I've got a question about these store bought hams.  I've looked at every spiraled ham at the grocery store and they all say pre-cooked.  Is that the style you still want to buy and smoke for a few hours because I'm not having any luck finding raw hams.

I only use the pre-cooked hams. Works fine ( for the past 6 years ).
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Looks amazing to me Scott.

I've only egg'd one ham and did a spiral egrets
    It was great. 

XLBGE 
  • gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    You know what I'd do different?

Nothing!
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • @MrCookingNurse I have done Egrets and it's fantastic as well.  This was more inspired by @Mickey and his naked ham.  I got a ham for dirt cheap from my meat supplier and figured I'd just try it. The most difficult part was getting it off of the Egg without it falling apart. I literally opened the ham, put it on the Egg and about 40 minutes in put a dry glaze on it which came with the ham.  The mix was basically brown sugar, and a little salt. 

It really was a test run to see how long it would take if I wanted to do a ham sometime in the next month or so for a holiday event or a football game. As simple as it was I will do this again without question. 
  • Looks awesome...I was looking at trying that cherry coke recipe
    Making the neighbors jealous in Pleasant Hill, Ia one cook at a time...
  • Just a post script for anyone else going to try this. I'd probably stick to fruit woods unless you really like smokey flavor.  Not that the ham is bad but probably after having some out of the fridge this afternoon was a little to smokey to eat as sliced ham by itself.  Put it on a sandwich with cheese and it's fine.  Hope everyone has a great Thanksgiving.