Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Finally after 13 years the egg has a table !!!

Options
After the clean burn I had to build a new home for the egg.
Just plain nice cedar and straight semi gloss spar varnish. I am amazed how that spar brought the grain in the wood out. This has 3 coats on all the wood.
Even the wife said it looked nice. She doesn't really like that it is on the screen porch and close to her sitting area (even tho she seldom sits there or has anyone sitting there visiting ), I won after 4 years to bring it up from the porch downstairs where it only sat in a nest and shared the porch with the two dogs 
Jefferson .GA.  
Been egging since 1985 on a medium egg

Comments

• SmokinOutBack
    Options
    Very nice table, and it definitely looks like it belongs there.
    Cherry Hill, NJ
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Nice job
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    That's a very cozy little nook. I like it!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    How high are the ceilings in there and is it well ventilated?

I have about the same setup, but have never brought my Egg into it and cooked.  I'm just wanting to know how it works for you.  TIA.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• ChuckChampion
    Options
    @laserdoc85 how did the clean burn go after all those years?  I remember the post but didnt get to see how it went
  • bettysnephew
    Options
    @laserdoc85 how did the clean burn go after all those years?  I remember the post but didnt get to see how it went
    Results with pictures on page 8.  It appears he did well.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • s_austin_egger
    Options
    Looks great. Could you please detail the steps for varnish? did you say and in between coats?
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Trying to make up for all those years of abuse are you? :((

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• laserdoc85
    Options
    Trying to make up for all those years of abuse are you? :((

Darn right I am !!!

Yes I sanded between the coats and before I put that spar down. I believe it was 320 grit between each coat. Did not sand the final coat cause it was smooth and felt like a babies a+-*. I tried a small section with 400 grit and I could see a bit of the sand marks so that's why I did not sand the final coat. Even tho it sits in a covered porch I still put 3 coats on all the wood not just the shelves.
    the final burn did really good. Promise I won't wait 13 years again

Jefferson .GA.  
  • laserdoc85
    Options
    YEMTrey said:

I have about the same setup, but have never brought my Egg into it and cooked.  I'm just wanting to know how it works for you.  TIA.
    About 12 foot ceilings and you can see the screened section. There is also a ceiling fan I can turn on if it gets smokey. I also have a door that goes outside to the gas grill deck that is about 5x10 that if I need to I can roll the table out there if needed. The porch where it was before only had 8 foot ceilings and I did not smoke up or stain the ceilings. I did my clean burn down on the other one and with 700+ degrees I could still wave my hand over the top at about 3 ft and it was no biggy . The heat disappears real fast,,,plus it was windy that day which help I guess
    Jefferson .GA.  
  • Scottborasjr
    Options
    Really great looking setup. Wish my deck had that kind of space. 
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Options
    Wow.  That didn't take you long!  A clean burn and it looks like you have a fresh start all around!  Congrats and nice table!  I see you put a ceramic tile to the right of the egg - I did the same.  Very convenient!
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • laserdoc85
    Options
    Cookinbob said:
    Wow.  That didn't take you long!  A clean burn and it looks like you have a fresh start all around!  Congrats and nice table!  I see you put a ceramic tile to the right of the egg - I did the same.  Very convenient!
    Would had liked a thin piece of granite but I had a lot of these tiles left over from the kitchen floor. So free is the word of the day,,,,,sort of!
    Jefferson .GA.  
  • BugCollector
    Options
    Great looking table!  Sounds like my kind of time frame too.
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    YEMTrey said:

About 12 foot ceilings and you can see the screened section. There is also a ceiling fan I can turn on if it gets smokey. I also have a door that goes outside to the gas grill deck that is about 5x10 that if I need to I can roll the table out there if needed. The porch where it was before only had 8 foot ceilings and I did not smoke up or stain the ceilings. I did my clean burn down on the other one and with 700+ degrees I could still wave my hand over the top at about 3 ft and it was no biggy . The heat disappears real fast,,,plus it was windy that day which help I guess
    @laserdoc85, thanks for the info and detail.  I may put mine in the screened in patio this winter and try a few cooks. Sure would be nice to cook in there and stay out of the elements.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• laserdoc85
    laserdoc85 Posts: 577
    edited November 2013
    Options
    it has been the start of a great project. Know to think something else. Oh I know !! try a cold smoke and do some bacon!
    Jefferson .GA.  
  • laserdoc85
    Options
    Here are some more pics of the smoking den
    Jefferson .GA.  
  • FearlessTheEggNoob
    Options
    Very nice setup, but judging by the slope of the roof I suspect you are going to need an exhaust hood if you want to comfortably cook where it is now.
    Gittin' there...
  • laserdoc85
    Options
    nope.Roof is flat. It just slopes on the ends
    Jefferson .GA.