Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chicken 'n' Dumplings

Disclaimer - I don't know what chicken n dumplings are really supposed to look/taste like. I didn't grow up eating this, and the sum total of my experience with this dish is the 2 times I have cooked it myself. Having said that...

SWMBO wanted chicken n dumplings. The last (first) time I made it a few years ago, it was a big hit. Its been frigid in Houston, and it seemed like awesome comfort food. 

Fired up the egg and got the groceries ready. The paste is low sodium Better Than Bouillon (chicken), and I added garlic, cayenne peppers, cayenne flakes, and mushrooms to the mix. Yes, I use cheap azz wine to cook with.

Browned the chicken first, then added the aromatics, etc.

Chicken cooked in the mix for about an hour. Pulled the chicken and added it back to the pot. 

Mixed up the batter for the dumplings and plopped them in. Cooked for about 15mins until done,

Dusted with paprika and plated (bowled?).

It was a hit! tasted really good on a cold wintry (!) Houston day. I think the dumplings turned out better 6 years ago, but  what the heck do I know. 

Thanks for looking.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.

Comments

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Looks good from here. That's not a dish I've ever messed with as its one that Mrs. G does. I leave it to her. She almost made it last night as we had a bunch of chicken left over, but it became fettucini alfredo instead. Have you ever tried to use canned biscuits torn up into little chunks as a short cut for making your own dumplings?

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• That looks so good and I am sure it warmed the belly on a cold Houston nite.
    We cooked South Texas hash for our cold nite comfort food. (Broke tradition though, served with popovers instead of cornbread/tortillas)
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    @Griffin - never thought about biscuits. Do you still cook them the same way you would dumplings, or do you put the pot under the broiler. I think my dumplings came out kinda dense - i remember them being lighter last time.

• Well you sold me Cali, just got back from the store with a bunch of chicken parts. I bought all stuff that was way past it's best before date too. You are my hero.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• LBC Dawg
    LBC Dawg Posts: 116
    Made chicken n dumplings yesterday myself but not on the egg. i use the Mary B's frozen dumplings. turned out awesome as usual. really good on a cold day. 
  • caliking
    @Austin_Egghead - yep, it was great to eat on a cold day. Your South Texas hash sounds interesting. How do you make it?

• Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,024
    Looks delicious!  My buddy was just saying that he didn't have a good dumpling recipe.  Care to share?  I usually just take the lazy way out and cut flour tortillas into strips and drop them in. 
  • caliking
    @Dyal_SC -  I used a recipe from Cooks Illustrated, which is where I had found the recipe I made years ago. This wasn't the same recipe though. I just realized that I used baking powder instead of baking soda, so maybe that's why the dumplings didn't quite turn out the way they did last time.

Here you go (I made half of the recipe):

Dumplings 
    2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour (10 ounces)
    1/2 teaspoon baking soda
    1 teaspoon sugar
    1 teaspoon table salt
    3/4 cup buttermilk, cold (see note)
    4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, melted and cooled about 5 minutes
    1 large egg white

Whisk flour, baking soda, sugar, and salt in large bowl. Combine buttermilk and melted butter in medium bowl, stirring until butter forms small clumps; whisk in egg white. Add buttermilk mixture to dry ingredients and stir with rubber spatula until just incorporated and batter pulls away from sides of bowl.

Return stew to simmer; stir in parsley and season with salt and pepper to taste. Using greased tablespoon measure (or #60 portion scoop), scoop level amount of batter and drop over top of stew, spacing about ¼ inch apart (you should have about 24 dumplings). Wrap lid of Dutch oven with clean kitchen towel (keeping towel away from heat source) and cover pot. Simmer gently until dumplings have doubled in size and toothpick inserted into center comes out clean, 13 to 16 minutes. Serve immediately.

• HDumptyEsq
    HDumptyEsq Posts: 1,095
    + on the biscuits. Cut 'em into quarters and drop 'em in the stew broth and cover. Plump, light and fluffy in four to five minutes and taste really good.

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

Medium BGE, New Braunfels off-set smoker, 3-burner Charbroiler gasser, mainly used for Eggcessory  storage, old electric upright now used for Amaz-N-Smoker.

"I like cooking with wine - sometimes I put it in the food." - W. C. Fields

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Cook 'em the same way you would cook your dumplings.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Next time wait an extra day or two and you can get it for free out of the dumpster. #:-S
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    edited November 2013
    Next time wait an extra day or two and you can get it for free out of the dumpster. #:-S
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Next time wait an extra day or two and you can get it for free out of the dumpster. #:-S

I don't get it... somebody threw some out?

LBC Dawg said:
    Made chicken n dumplings yesterday myself but not on the egg. i use the Mary B's frozen dumplings. turned out awesome as usual. really good on a cold day. 
    Its still cold and I can't wait to tuck in to the leftovers. Never even thought to look for ready made dumplings. The biscuits do sound good though.

• TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    edited November 2013
    caliking said:

I don't get it... somebody threw some out?

Sorry @caliking... I was posting from my iPhone and it screwed up. I meant to quote LS; giving him an idea for how to save even more money of chicken parts!

TexanOfTheNorth said:Sorry @caliking... I was posting from my iPhone and it screwed up. I meant to quote LS; giving him an idea for how to save even more money of chicken parts!
    I get it now! Missed his comment above initially. 

• caliking
    Well you sold me Cali, just got back from the store with a bunch of chicken parts. I bought all stuff that was way past it's best before date too. You are my hero.
    A colleague of mine routinely buys the marked meat that's turned funny shades of grey from the grocery store. He calls it the "used meat" section. He's never called in sick...yet. And I have officially survived my pork chop incident.

• I have no issue with buying discounted "past sell date" beef, lamb or pork. Not poultry though, well maybe duck

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• By the way I made chicken and dumplings last night and it was awesome. Skipped the egg cause it was freezing rain. I had never had it before, not really a Canadian thing. I wanted to let you know about dumplings my Mom made for beef stew that were really good. Fresh white bread with the crust removed and crumbled. Finely diced green onion, garlic, parsley salt and pepper mixed in and then a beaten egg or two all stirred around and dropped into the stew.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• caliking
    Speaking of parts, the recipe had called for a pound of chicken wings in addition to the chicken pieces. I think some of the collagen from the wings would have improved the texture of the stew. I added a small amount of Wondra to thicken it slightly.