Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s almost football season, so we’re perfecting our favorite tailgating and homegating recipes! Whether you like hamburgers, wings, brats, ribs or something cooked with beer, we have everything you’ll need for the perfect tailgate party. We always like inviting friends to join our tailgates because the EGG is about community and having fun, so make sure if you’re inviting company you make extra - the food will be gone before you know it! Don't forget dessert, either!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Besides Mustard, What Have You Used To Adhere Rub?

I was very low on mustard this weekend when I cooked a couple butts. I got by with a thin layer of mustard, but that got me thinking about other things that can be used to adhere rub to butts or ribs. Mustard is commonly used on a standard butt or rib cook, but what have you used that's not ordinary?

........................................................................................

Flint, Michigan.  Named the most dangerous city in America by the F.B.I. three years running.

We invented the U.A.W. and carjacking!

Comments

• fishlessmanfishlessman Posts: 17,487
    worcestershire sauce, i use it on the first layer of rub now, second layer gets the mustard
  • RACRAC Posts: 1,527
    Worcestershire sauce!

Ricky

Spring, TX

• Olive oil I use it all the time and it works great !!!
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • GQuizGQuiz Posts: 685
    Mayonnaise. Put it on pork butt. Not as barky as when I use mustard, but it was very juicy and tasted phenomenal. I did it after judging at the San Antonio Rodeo BBQ Cookoff. It was recommended by a few fellow judges.

XL BGE; Schertz TX by way of Stow OH. #egghead4life
  • GriffinGriffin Posts: 7,075
    what's this here sauce. Done it on brisket. Olive oil as well.

Richardson, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• HotchHotch Posts: 1,527
    +1 EVO

"You’re not a real Texan till you’ve been kicked out of every decent state in America." - Joe Bob Briggs

LBGE, Mini BGE and R&V Fryer

Prosper TX

And your are correct, Texas Red has no Beans

• billyraybillyray Posts: 1,124
    On beef roasts and beef ribs I use 1 Tbs of worcestershire mixed with 1 Tbs of better than bouillon beef. Not only does it help the rub stick, but adds great flavor.
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small and waiting on a mini
  • gdenbygdenby Posts: 4,623
    I started using neutral oils, like canola or safflower, a few years ago. Recently, I found a brand of Asian peanut oil that has a mild, but distinct roasted peanut flavor. I like the way it works w. pork.
  • Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

XLBGE 
  • MCN returns big! How have you been?

........................................................................................

Flint, Michigan.  Named the most dangerous city in America by the F.B.I. three years running.

• SmokeyPittSmokeyPitt Posts: 7,077
    A friend of mine did a butt coated in honey and rubbed with bad byrons.  It came out really good. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• MCN returns big! How have you been?

BUSY!!!!

I've got a big cooking weekend coming up. Catering a church event.

I just finished finals and surgery rotation check offs and we are days away from the birth of our little one.

XLBGE 
  • Congrats! It sounds like you have 8 pots boiling on a 6 burner stove. Enjoy your baby! I'll pray for your family.

• tarheelmatttarheelmatt Posts: 3,927
    I use apple cider vinegar on pork and EVOO. 
    Thanks,

Matthew
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Be kind; as everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about"
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC - Large BGE - Medium BGE - Plate Setter - Maverick ET-733 - BBQ Guru Party-Q (new design ) Pizza Stone - BGE V-Rack - Weed Torch (to light egg) - Grid Extender - Bayou Classic 14" CI griddle
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------

Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • HDumptyEsqHDumptyEsq Posts: 1,095
    I've used HP Sauce as a base on pork chops - really tangy

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

Medium BGE, New Braunfels off-set smoker, 3-burner Charbroiler gasser, mainly used for Eggcessory  storage, old electric upright now used for Amaz-N-Smoker.

"I like cooking with wine - sometimes I put it in the food." - W. C. Fields

• For butt, honey and cider vinegar, 4:1 ratio (Honey is Fred Meyer liquid and I've found 4 honey to 1 vinegar works best) If your liquid honey is thicker it may need a little more vinegar. Don't need much and use gloves to spread it on. 
    For beef, creamed horseradish. Mix the rub with the horseradish, apply it all together. 

@MCN - best wishes for Mom and the wee one!
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
  • Sriracha
    Chicago, Illinois
  • Sriracha

Ooooooooohhhhh my that sounds good! Wilma is a spice wimp so I would never be able to do it with any of her food. Gotta do that on the sly!

• QDudeQDude Posts: 622
    Nothing at all.

A northern Colorado Egghead since 2012!

XL and a Small BGE.

• Sriracha
    Ooooooooohhhhh my that sounds good! Wilma is a spice wimp so I would never be able to do it with any of her food. Gotta do that on the sly!
    exposure to heat breaks down capsaicin, so by the end you have a hint of the spiciness and a little of the garlic and chili flavor, but yeah, if she is a spice wimp, I'd definitely try it yourself the first time.
    Chicago, Illinois

• Sriracha
    exposure to heat breaks down capsaicin, so by the end you have a hint of the spiciness and a little of the garlic and chili flavor, but yeah, if she is a spice wimp, I'd definitely try it yourself the first time.
    Si.  When I did it we detected no Sriracha taste or heat.  Same as mustard, just more expensive.
    Large BGE -- Greensboro!

• HP

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• CookinbobCookinbob Posts: 1,551
    I have never used anything - just the rub on the bare butt.  Always great bark, can't imagine I am missing much
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 11,546
    Like @Cookinbob said... My hands.
  • Just put the rub on by itself, used mustard a couple of times but didn't think it added anything
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • GATravellerGATraveller Posts: 1,907
    Mustard doesn't add anything to the flavor.  It's just a vehicle used to help more of the rub stick to the meat.
    "Let us cross over the river, and rest under the shade of the trees." 
    -Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

Peachtree Corners, GA
  • I rub all my butts with all the bacon grease I save.
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 14,672

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

As I scrolled down the thread I knew that this would show up... Mcn...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • queuedqueued Posts: 50
    I've always been afraid to try yellow mustard, as I *really* hate the taste of mustard.  I know folk say it doesn't leave any flavor, but most folks like mustard and my definition of "none" may not mesh with others.  I keep telling myself I'll try two pork butts or two ribs side-by-side to compare, but I never do out of fear from wasting 1/2 of the food I cook.
    Raleigh, NC
  • I'm in the straight rub camp.
    Mark Annville, PA