Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Freezing smoked cheese

Options
I recently smoked some cheese, which turned out great by the way.  I had mentioned to the wife that we were going to keep it for a while and she froze it without telling me.  When she later got a piece of the pepper jack from the freezer and defrosted it, the texture was grainy and it crumbled fairly easily.  Has anyone else experienced a texture change in cheese after freezing?  It was sealed in a Foodsaver bag BTW.
A poor widows son.
See der Rabbits, Iowa

Comments

• SmokinOutBack
    Options
    I never froze it but I'm not surprised it is crumbly. I have kept smoked cheese for months in  vac-packed bags with never a problem. You're just going to have to smoke some more!
    Cherry Hill, NJ
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    We only freeze cheese that we intend to use in cooked dishes since it always gets crumbly when frozen.  I wish there was a better way to preserve it.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    I wondered about this too after folks said they froze smoked cheese. Whenever I have frozen cheese in the past, the texture changed to that crumbly sort of texture, so I stopped freezing it. That wasn't vacuum packed though.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    Agree with others... freezing cheese does not work well.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.