Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

A-maze-n Pellet Smoker

Options
How many people use this in their egg and how do you use it and when,,what type of cooking,,,meat or chicken etc......
Jefferson .GA.  
Been egging since 1985 on a medium egg

Comments

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options

How many people use this in their egg and how do you use it and when,,what type of cooking,,,meat or chicken etc......

Just got mine a couple weeks ago. Have done cheese and bacon so far. Planning to do some almonds. As far as meat, it needs to be cured first. Sausage is on my to do list, need a grinder and stuffer. Not sure chicken would be a good candidate...
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • laserdoc85
    Options
    Do I just vent both top and bottom vents all the way open and and stick this pellet smoker down in the bottom with no lump and raise my grate up as far as I can go. I have a medium egg and wonder if the 5x8 little box will fit
    Jefferson .GA.  
  • DMW
    Options
    Yep, bottom vent all the way open, top off. Clean out any leftover lump and put the smoker on the fire grate. Not sure on the Medium but I would think it should fit. When I did the bacon I had one slab on the main grid and the other on the raised above it. The skin on the one on the main grate was a bit dark where it was directly above the smoker. Thinking next time I'll try with the platesetter in. Cen-Tex Smoker posted a tutorial a bit ago, was very helpful.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Mike_the_BBQ_Fanatic
    Options
    Great timing...just ordered one! Anyone cold smoke steaks.
    Making the neighbors jealous in Pleasant Hill, Ia one cook at a time...
  • laserdoc85
    Options
    Great timing...just ordered one! Anyone cold smoke steaks.
    I saw them on amazon and there were two left,then after my researching this I went back and there was only one left so I pulled the trigger on the buy button. You must have been the other guy that got one :)
    Jefferson .GA.  
  • laserdoc85
    Options
    DMW said:
    Yep, bottom vent all the way open, top off. Clean out any leftover lump and put the smoker on the fire grate. Not sure on the Medium but I would think it should fit. When I did the bacon I had one slab on the main grid and the other on the raised above it. The skin on the one on the main grate was a bit dark where it was directly above the smoker. Thinking next time I'll try with the platesetter in. Cen-Tex Smoker posted a tutorial a bit ago, was very helpful.
    Plate setter with legs up right?
    Jefferson .GA.  
  • DMW
    Options

DMW said:

Plate setter with legs up right?

Yep, that's what I'm thinking.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    I smoked my first batch of cheese this weekend, in the small egg. I described my setup in a recent thread:

I haven't tasted it yet (colossal will power??). I want to cold smoking some salmon next.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • MacKay52
    Options
    I've had one for a while. It fits in both my medium and large. I've done bacon a few times, cheese, and just completed Nova Lox. It works great.
  • MacKay52
    Options
    When I did the Nova Lox, I had leftover lump and didn't want to clean it out (lazy). I set the cold smoker on my placesetter and used an elevated grid.
  • laserdoc85
    Options
    Alright know I'm getting pumped up about this !!!!
    Jefferson .GA.  
  • laserdoc85
    Options
    With the cheese I read you want to do about 2 hours of smoke and with bacon about 12 hours. Since this little a-maze when filled lasts about 10 or 12 hours are you just filling up half of one of those channels with the pellets to get 2 or 3 hours?
    Jefferson .GA.