Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Can I roast a stuffed turkey on the BGE?

I am newer to the BGE experience.  So far it has been predictable and extremely satisfying.
This Thanksgiving will be the first time I am preparing the turkey in the BGE.  Can I roast a stuffed turkey? Any suggestions?
Thank you all and Happy Thanksgiving!

Comments

• berndcrisp
    berndcrisp Posts: 1,166
    Of course! Just be sure to cook it to temp as you would in an oven.
    Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

• Most people don't. I never have. @fishlessman posted the other day but he had one of those spiral screw type closers for the rear end of the bird. I would think it would be very smoky tasting.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    I put a piece of bread over the opening of the rear cavity. Last year I didn't add any chunks when cooking the turkey and really couldn't taste any smoke flavor. If you have a neutral smelling charcoal, I think you are fine.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    This is not stuffed. I don't stuff the Egged bird. Spatchcocked Turkey and Chicken on the Big Green Egg (you cut out the backbone and cook opened) I like a 11/12 lb bird. If I need lots of turkey I just cook a couple ( 1 & 1/2 hr cook app) Chicken 3 to 4.5lb bird or birds. Under an hour cook. Or, just add a package of legs extra. I do not brine the turkey or Chicken. If time I like to leave uncovered in the fridge overnight (no problem if no time) I cook "direct" @ 400 on a raised grill "skin side up" and never turn over. I will use a coffee rub. Use what you like. NOTE PLEASE (A LOT OF SMOKE IS NOT YOU FRIEND) I use about a single handfull of mixed chips: Cherry & Pecan. Cook to temp (not time) breast @ 160 and thigh @ 180. Coffee Rub (turkey, chicken, beef & pork) Equal part: Instant Expresso Ground coffee Equal part: Brown Sugar ½ part: Black Pepper ½ part: Kosher Salt ½ part: Garlic Powder ¾ part: Ancho Chili Powder Don't worry on exact, just close on measurement. I used to use turbinado sugar but we like with brown better. This is pulled from MollyShark, Hungry Man, & Richard In Fl then tweaked. I find the ancho chili powder is far less expensive in the bulk spice area than the bottled area ( have used both light or dark version). I make it starting with a half cup Instant Expresso Ground coffee and work from there as it seems to store well if sealed.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    I don't see any problems stuffing it with some veggies. The same ones you might want to place in the pan that holds the bird.
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • Rick1
    Rick1 Posts: 81
    I've done turkey a couple of times. They came out real nice and juicy. Not sure I would try a stuffed turkey though. Seems the bird might be over cooked by the time the stuffing is done. I've cooked mine at 300 dome until the breast was 160, thighs at 165.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Other than a smoky taste added to the stuffing, there is no reason you couldn't do it just the same as in your oven.  Like @Rick1 mentioned one problem with stuffing (especially the traditional bread-y type packed in the carcass) is you have to make sure the stuffing is cooked thoroughly (at least 160).  You may end up overcooking the breast by the time the stuffing is cooked.  However, this issue exists in both the egg and the oven.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    edited November 2013
    FWIW this is what I do. I think it's as good as the stuff from the bird.

First make a dark turkey stock (roasted backs and necks, wings and mirepoix)
    Then fry sausage onions, celery, garlic and peppers
    Herbs, pick 'em. I use thyme, rosemary, sage and parsley (didn't want to sound like Art Garfunkle by saying it the other way)
    Chop the herbs and more garlic
    Punch holes in an aluminum pan
    Make some foil balls and place in another pan
    Put some stock in the pan with the foil balls
    Mix sausage, dry bread, veg and herbs in, moisten with some stock and clarified butter
    Place a couple of turkey wings and necks on top

Put the stuffing pan with the holes on the one with the stock and cover both pans with foil and bake for about three hours at 350*
    Remove foil and cook till browned on top 

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    ^^^ that looks very good. I agree about the stuffing adding extra time and possibly over cooking the breast. To mitigate this, I warm up the stuffing before putting it in the bird. I get it about as hot as I handle and then put it in.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.