Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Getting to Desired Temperature

Options
When getting my XL BGE to come to desired temperature for pizza (i.e. 600 - 650) or for searing am I better leaving the lid open until the coals really get going or do I keep the lid shut with the dampers open all the way and let it come up to temp that way. Once i get the coals lit I usually put the place setter, grid, my bricks and the pizza stone in and let them all come up to temp at the same time. Just trying to see which way if any is faster. I would think with the lid open it gets more air to really get the coals burning then if the lid is shut that will get the whole up up to temp. Open to any suggestions.
Palm City, FL

Comments

• Brisket_Fanatic
    Options
    With the lid open it will definitely get the coals going quickly but the dome will not heat up very well. Since the objective of a great pizza is radiant heat from he dome and through heated stones keep the lid closed and let the natural draw of the egg do its work, I normally let the large BGE and stones heat up for an hour.

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• Mike_the_BBQ_Fanatic
    Options
    I go dome closed too...if I am really in a hurry I leave the dfmt off and vent full open.
    Making the neighbors jealous in Pleasant Hill, Ia one cook at a time...
  • Luvflt
    Luvflt Posts: 63
    Options
    Ok got it. On another note last night I tried pizza. I really didn't use that much lump. I had enough, so I thought, to do the job but I never got past 450 and then it started going downhill from there. This is with no dfmt and bottom vent fully open. If you are looking for higher temps do you need to really have a maximum amount of lump? It makes sense you do as the more hot coals the hotter the temp but I just want to be sure. I am learning slowly but surely a lot of the little nuance of cooking this way.
    Palm City, FL
  • laserdoc85
    Options
    fill her up to the bottom of the ring
    Jefferson .GA.  
    Been egging since 1985 on a medium egg
  • EggHeadinFlorida
    Options
    Yea that ^. Same issue with not getting a high temp.. Didn't have enough lump. Fill her up!!
    XL bge, Mini max & 36 BS Griddle.
  • Luvflt
    Luvflt Posts: 63
    Options
    Thanks, I thought that was the case. Now I know. Every time I turn around I am learning something new about the BGE.
    Palm City, FL