Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

So who else is doing their first turkey on the egg?

I have decided to go with the mad max because it looks great. I have been studying that post for 2 weeks now. I have 6  adults and one kid coming so I just bought a 15 pound fresh bird and all the herbs and such.  $101 bucks at Publix , and thats just for the turkey and gravy. I got too much. Im going to brine it with the" 1 cup of salt 1/2 cup sugar" for about 36 hours. I promise pics as I go along. I never thought cooking could be so stressful. 
St. Johns County, Florida

Comments

• roblew
    roblew Posts: 78
    I just did my first on Sunday morning 
    Ringgold GA LBGE
  • MaC122
    MaC122 Posts: 797
    @roblew Hoe did it come out? What did you think?

• I'm doing a smoked on the egg and another in the oven. Going to do a brine on both. Egg will have some pecan in there for smoke. It will be an interesting comparison to see which one is better.
  • Done my first over the weekend, got the second one on right now
  • roblew
    roblew Posts: 78
    @MaC122 It came out very good. I was actually impressed at how moist it was 
    MaC122 said:
    @roblew Hoe did it come out? What did you think?

Ringgold GA LBGE
  • MaC122
    @chuckChampion Was it good the mad max way. I guess I'm trying to get reviews
  • We are going to be gone on thanksgiving day but my wife just asked me to do a turkey on the egg this weekend.
    I can't wait to give this a shot!
    Nowhere Indiana
  • KingtUT
    KingtUT Posts: 157
    I will be doing my first on Thursday.  Still open to suggestions as to how im going to do it.  Im hoping the egg will just magically make it good regardless of what I do wrong.
  • This is my first also. I have a 21# bird that I will start around 6am Thursday morning. I just got my brine done a few mins ago. Waiting on it to cool and I will put the bird in it late tonight or first thing tomorrow morning for 24 to 36 hours. Then off to the refrigerator uncovered for 24 hrs. 
    Im trying to make this fun, but this is stress full. lol
    Jeff from Winston-Salem, NC  - LBGE, MiniMax, Blackstone
  • Going to spatchcock one, confident all will go well. That's why another one will be cooked in the oven.

LBGE, Grill Extender, 5 burner Char-Broil gasser that hold my eggessories
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    $101??? I too just got the stuff to do the same cook. Although it's a 17lber. $31 for the turkey and maybe $20 in gravy ingredients. Did you get a $50 bottle of wine??
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • awm
    awm Posts: 181
    I did my first this past Saturday. I done a 10 l pounder mad max, and it was really good. I'm doing the one that counts early Thursday morning. This one is 17 pounds so I hope nothing changes to much.
  • radamo
    radamo Posts: 373
    Doing my first on Thursday too, we have a 19 lb fresh bird.  Going to get mine unwrapped overnight in the fridge Wednesday night.  I will warm the bird to room temp and ice the breast (like that idea).  Then onto the egg at 325 grid with bacon all over.  Can't wait for Thursday!!!
    Long Island, NY
  • berndcrisp
    berndcrisp Posts: 1,166
    edited November 2013
    Mad Max is a lot of work for first timers and the first time is always a bit overwhelming. This is a complete dinner less the sides. Keep in mind, if you have done one in the oven it is the same, you're just using a different cooking vesssel. You will do just fine.
    Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

• MaC122
    edited November 2013
    @Jeremaih $101 is all the wine + beer + spices. I spent 24 on booze alone. This is the best forum ever!!!! We are gonna have of pics of turkey

• Doing my first on on Thursday too.  Bought and 18lb. and am planning on doing it spatchcock.  I know it will turn out because I've done so many chickens but I can't help but be a little nervous.  We are having my friend and her family over and since I know she's not a great cook, no matter what happens, I know it will be better than what she could make.  LOL  I think my biggest fear is that it won't fit on out LBGE.

Jen

Lakeville, MN

• I did my first turkey on the egg last year. EVERYONE loved it and I have been nominated to smoke the turkey for every thanksgiving from now on. I got a butterball, so I opted not to brine and it came out super juicy. I think I am going to cut back on the herbs in the butter this year. It was a little herby for my taste last year.
    Killen, AL (The Shoals)
    XL, Small, Minimax, and Mini BGEs
  • I'm planning to do my first on Thursday and will also be deep frying several birds for the first time with several friends.

The Egged bird is 15 pounds.  I have my doubts it will fit in my medium egg if I lay it flat on top of a grate on top of the platesetter.  If I remove the fire ring, will I have enough lump to cook the turkey vertically?
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    edited November 2013

I would offer that the Mad Max Turkey turns out great-the majority of effort is making the gravy.  So, if you want a great turkey w/o the level of effort, give the gravy a pass.  Just an opinion and we all know what those are worth:)

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    @JenGang I think an 18 pounder is pushing it for spatchcock on a LBGE.
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • Mike_the_BBQ_Fanatic
    edited November 2013
    This is my first thanksgiving as an egg owner but I did a practice one a few weeks ago...I followed this pretty close..it was the juiciest one I have ever had. http://amazingribs.com/recipes/chicken_turkey_duck/ultimate_smoked_turkey.html I didn't ice the breasts or inject butter but will this time...I made the gravy but didn't need it. I liked the spices but there were some bigger pieces that got stuck in the teeth...I picked up a mortar and pestle to grind it a little more fine. Oh and the method for carving...big improvement to how I have done so in the past.
    Making the neighbors jealous in Pleasant Hill, Ia one cook at a time...
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    I'm in for first time. Cheers to us and good luck
    Seattle, WA
  • JenGang
    JenGang Posts: 91
    edited November 2013
    @JenGang I think an 18 pounder is pushing it for spatchcock on a LBGE.

Jen

Lakeville, MN

• Dang it! I'm having problems posting to the forum from my laptop.

Anyway, I hope it works since I don't have a plan B. :)

Jen

Lakeville, MN

• Jeremiah said:
    $101??? I too just got the stuff to do the same cook. Although it's a 17lber. $31 for the turkey and maybe $20 in gravy ingredients. Did you get a $50 bottle of wine??

I was thinking the same thing.. Bought a 10 pound from Publix for $17.00 and with the odds and ends that was another $20.00.  I have my "out-laws" I mean in-laws making a backup just in case this Turkey does not work out (considering it my first on the egg). 

I too am using Max Max and I will also brine the Turkey.  Will use BGE charcoal with apple and pecan (just a little).

Coral Springs, Florida- Dimitrious

• MaC122
    $101 gets you the spices, carrots, onions, nice bottle of wine, garlic, and who cares...I bought the organic turkey. And I got a a boars head american sub whole. Pics will as soon as I start brining 

• I am!  Doing a Diestel farms slow-growth 11 lber.
    Planning on doing Good Eats except more of a reverse sear.
    Spatchcock, dry brine, indirect 350 (until VERY end), smoke.

Question is, what to use? (please vote)
    1. Cherry
    2. Pecan
    3. Apple
  • Keefer
    Keefer Posts: 120
    I will be smoking a turkey as well. We are not so concerned with the presentation, just taste - so I am considering cutting the bird in half. I am thinking it would be easier to cook it uniformly that way. What do you guys think?
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Planning on doing my first turkey for my family Thursday and looking forward to it.  Planning on doing the following.

Brine all day tomorrow
     - Brine includes: salt, brown sugar, black peppercorns(some crushed), Lemons, Oranges, Fresh Thyme

Stuff turkey with onion, garlic, thyme, celery, butter
    Rub turkey with butter (inside the skin too) salt,pepper, and thyme
    Ice the breasts until placed on egg
    Cook 350° indirect till breast is 160° (using roughly 13-15 min per lb.)

------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795
    I'm cooking a 15 pound fresh turkey from a local farm.  This will be my first turkey ever.  We'll put it in a brine tonight and see how it goes. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX