Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoked Gator

Options
Hey all,
I've been a lurker since winning my BGE this summer. I've found a lot of helpful and useful hints, tips, and tricks. Just thought I'd throw this out there. My buddy killed a 9 footer and gave me some gator meat that's been processed. Basically it's 1-2 in chunks of white meat. I couldn't find a whole lot on smoking gator, but I did find a little. Here's the info I'm using.

225-250 for around 2 hrs, or until 170 Internal Temp. 

I've marinated 5 lbs in a 50/50 mix of Balsamic Vinegar and Soy Sauce. I'm make 4 kabobs, and I will use a different seasoning on each. 
Dizzy Dust
Tsunami Spin
Raging River
Everglades Cactus Dust (this has been my go to for almost everything so far).

I have absolutely no idea how this will turn out, but figured I'd post, to see if anyone had suggestions or thoughts. 
Victor
LBGE
America's Best Coast - The Space Coast

Comments

• grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    Ya I tried it. I ruined it. I should've fried it. Can't wait to hear how it turns out
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• Little Steven
    Options
    Jupiter Jim on  the other forum is an avid gator hunter. I believe he marinates it and grills. Wish we had the little things up here

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• MrCookingNurse
    Options
    I bagged a 12 footer a couple years back. Did about everything you can imagine to it and fried was the only way we liked it.

Good look.

XLBGE 
  • billybon
    billybon Posts: 213
    Options

I bagged a 12 footer a couple years back. Did about everything you can imagine to it and fried was the only way we liked it. Good look.
    I have harvested, processed and cooked gators for over 25 years. Although it can be prepared many ways, fried gator was always the favorite. However, a few years ago I started experimenting with sous vide gator meat and had good results. Most significant was cooking whole legs for 24 hours at 130F and then smoking at 225F for 3 to 4 hours. Prior to that, I could not even give away the leg meat. I now serve it at a wild game dinner every year along with the fried gator. It is a big hit.
  • Rebelst8
    Options
    Well, I will definitely do this again. Its not tough (not fall apart either), great flavor. Will have to see.what the guys at work think tomorrow. Pic posted below.
    Victor
    LBGE
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Options
    Hmm, I got some in the freezer yet. Let me know how it turns out.
    Dunedin, FL
  • Rebelst8
    Options
    I had the temp creep up to 300. It ended up being a little dryer than I was looking for, but the final product tasted good. The guys at work seemed to like it. It's worth a try. As you can see from my pic, I made kabobs, then had them sitting over a tray to catch any fluid (I added some water to it, to try to help keep them moist). 
    Victor
    LBGE