Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pepperoni Snack Sticks

2»

Comments

• hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    Thanks. It has been a battle so far, but the war has just begun. I don't usually lose, in general that is.
  • hondabbq

All the plans changed this weekend. Smoking a pork belly right now for my annual dinner.

Going to do some sausage stuffing today and smoke tomorrow. I took tomorrow off when my truck lost power on Friday and they didn't have the part in stock. Throttle sensor. Wont be ready until late Monday. Good and bad I guess.

• BigWader
    BigWader Posts: 673
    @hondabbq - keep us posted.  Would love to know how it goes for you.

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

• hondabbq
    Mixed up 3 lbs. 2 beef and 1 pork. Here it is stuffed. It's a little thicker than I'm used to. I may have to try and find a bit smaller tube. Or I'll try a smaller casing at the butcher supply. If not I can definitely live with it. I'm going to try to do some on the egg and I'll do a bit in the oven. I know I know. Sacrebleu. Hi Mountain says smoker or oven so I'll try both.
    I'm smoking a pork belly right now. I have a tough time keeping the egg low. DFMT is a1/16 open and lower vent is 1/4 open an I'm at 240. I may have a tough time getting down to 140 to start.
  • BigWader
    @hondabbq - those are looking sweet to me.  Your work area is so clean compared to how I usually end up!  Let me know how you like the flavour.

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

• hondabbq
    edited November 2013
    Lit the egg this morning with one cube. I was watching and watching to catch it on the way up. Went to the washroom and boom up to 220. Dammit. Just getting it lowered down now. Lower vent is credit card depth open and daisy is barely open. Its quite windy today so I don't know if this will even be able to keep low. If it isn't able to do it ill move to the oven.
  • hondabbq
    edited November 2013

Patiently waiting to go in the egg. It sure is tough keeping it down low. I don't know if I lost fire or it is holding.

I think its working . I moved the DFMT just a hair and I got the temp to go up slightly. This just might work. Looks to be at about 140 and holding.

• BigWader
    You are on your way to flavor town!

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

• hondabbq
    3 hours in and sitting at about 130
  • hondabbq

I know Im a bad bad man. I forgot to take pics of the process. I have been craving some more lately.

I mixed up a 4 lb batch of cracked pepper and garlic, and a 4 lb "pizza" blend. I used the Pepperoni mix and added some tomato soup powder and parmesan to the mix. Just finished stuffing them and into the fridge to cure overnight. Its way tooo frickin cold here to smoke outside, so I am going to do these ones in the oven tomorrow. I also want to see how they come out with no smoke so its  a dual trial.

• hondabbq
    I figures instead of wasting a day hanging out at home waiting for these to cook up, I would try doing an overnighter.
    The lower sticks are cracked pepper and garlic and the ones with strings are the pizza ones.
  • hondabbq
    Only took 3 hours in the oven at 170. (Lowest setting). I got up to check them after 3 hours and I'm glad I did, they were at 158 degrees so I sat up for 20 minutes and let them get to 160. I was worried they would fat

Out but didn't. The I put the next batch in and set the alarm for 3 hours. I expected them to take all night like the first batch I did in the egg.

I cut and cryoed them this morning, of course cutting to size I had some scraps. Very moist good flavour.
  • hondabbq
    edited January 2014
    First batch is gone, thanks to most of
    my friends. Here is a 12 lb batch of Chorizo sticks I finished yesterday. My wife even likes helping me stuff the casings. She gets very serious about it.
  • gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    @hondabbq  Where are you getting your casings from?
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • BigWader
    @hondabbq - mind sharing the recipe/results of the chorizo?

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

• hondabbq
    edited January 2014
    @gmac I am just using the casings in the hi mountain kits. They are collagen. @ big wader recipe is also a chorizo blend from a local butcher supply company. What results are you requesting. Those are smoked already and cooled.
  • GoVols
    GoVols Posts: 216
    Wow ! Those look great.
    Tim Rickman,Tn.