Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thermapen questions/gripesl

Options
2»

Comments

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    @SickEyeDiaz - funning aside. I feel your pain. I used the thermoworks rt600c ($25) for a few years and loved it. Defended it many times against the pricier thermapen. Finally gave in to the thermapen when the backlit model came out, because that's one thing i wished the rt600c had.

The first couple of times i used the thermapen it seemed really squirelly - temps bouncing around, etc. Yes, its calibrated correctly. There was a bit of  learning curve, not much. Like others said, for flatter pieces you need to measure parallel the plane of the meat to get a more accurate temp. I still don't love it, but the backlit display does make things easier. I just don't think it was entirely worth the extra $$.

And its true... the red ones are the fastest. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • laserdoc85
    Options
    I thought the British racing green was the fastest
    Jefferson .GA.  
    Been egging since 1985 on a medium egg
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    I have to agree with Cali on the Red being the fastest. I got one this week and let my wife use it tonight to check the meatloaf (in the hot clock, long story) and she kept waiting & waiting for it to keep climbing in temp. She said it was stuck and couldn't read temp that fast.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • EagleIII
    EagleIII Posts: 415
    Options
    All the tips here are accurate. The Thermapen is worth every penny, but I will say, they do offer two separate models...one backlit, and one not, as you found out. When I went to the Thermapen website to order mine, I researched both models on the website add opted for the backlit model, which I figured was well worth the extra $16. I must say, it was absolutely worth every extra penny.
  • williamadamsesq
    Options
    Yeah, if they have a model with a backlight and one without a backlight, and you buy the one without a backlight, what do you expect? They don't do this as a public service. They offer two models because some people want and need the backlight and are willing to pay a little more for it. The corporation exists to make money. I got the brown one because it was slightly cheaper and brown is the fastest. I didn't get the backlight one because I have a floodlight on my deck - and a $3 little led camping lantern. I'm grateful that they offer a less expensive alternative rather than forcing me to buy the backlight model at a higher price.
  • laserdoc85
    Options
    I just use my 2k night vision goggles. They were worth every penny for reading that temp without the backlight. I just could not see paying that higher price for a little backlight
    Jefferson .GA.  
    Been egging since 1985 on a medium egg
  • warwoman
    warwoman Posts: 279
    Options
    I just use my 2k night vision goggles. They were worth every penny for reading that temp without the backlight. I just could not see paying that higher price for a little backlight

Touche!!!!

=))
    From the NE Georgia Mountains! Me, SWMBO, and two spoiled ass Springers!
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    The thermopen is nice and very accurate, but it's way overpriced for the run of the mill, backyard chef. A couple degrees either way really doesn't matter that much. I have one because I can afford it and I like the status. Lol
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • brzelt
    brzelt Posts: 62
    Options
    I am in the process of getting a thermopen as a gift for my birthday... Kinda glad I saw this as I assumed it would be backlit.  Not I guess.

Cheesy if you ask me, but you all can tell everyone to buy lights to make up for it....
    Bruce
    L BGE
    Kennesaw, GA
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    brzelt said:
    I am in the process of getting a thermopen as a gift for my birthday... Kinda glad I saw this as I assumed it would be backlit.  Not I guess.

Cheesy if you ask me, but you all can tell everyone to buy lights to make up for it....
    Just to clarify- they do have a backlit model, but it is about $16 more. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• brzelt
    brzelt Posts: 62
    Options

I see that.... doesn't take away that smell though...
    Bruce
    L BGE
    Kennesaw, GA
  • ReldtiCDN
    Options
    Yeah, if they have a model with a backlight and one without a backlight, and you buy the one without a backlight, what do you expect? They don't do this as a public service. They offer two models because some people want and need the backlight and are willing to pay a little more for it. The corporation exists to make money. I got the brown one because it was slightly cheaper and brown is the fastest. I didn't get the backlight one because I have a floodlight on my deck - and a $3 little led camping lantern. I'm grateful that they offer a less expensive alternative rather than forcing me to buy the backlight model at a higher price.
    The brown one is only faster on very spicy foods.
    Brampton, Ontario

• Melhill3
    Options
    As a lefty, I wish they would sell a version with the display reversed so when I hold it in my left hand the digits are not upside down. I did email them about this and they were not interested (great CS there)