Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: meat slicer size

Going Black Friday shopping with a few want list items.

One being a meat slicer.

Do I want the 7.5 or 9 inch??

XLBGE 

Comments

• 9..then you will never say "I wish I had..."
    LBGE 4/2012, MBGE 6/2012 & Mini 11/2013
    Rome, GA
  • Greeno55
    Greeno55 Posts: 635
    Absolutely. I have a 10" myself. I wavered back and forth between that or the smaller one. So glad I chose what I did.
    LBGE (2012), MiniMax (2014), and too many Eggcessories to list.  - Sudbury, Ontario
  • GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    I have a 7 and it serves me well but bigger is always better if you can handle it. ;;)
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • Yea that's what I'm thinking but didn't wanna spend the extra if it wasn't necessary. I want to slice my own deli meat and freeze 1 lbs packs.

What kind of stuff do y'all do with it?

XLBGE 
  • Greeno55
    I bought mine for deli and bacon. Reason I went with the larger was I felt the smaller one was just a bit too small for nice bacon slices.
    LBGE (2012), MiniMax (2014), and too many Eggcessories to list.  - Sudbury, Ontario
  • @Greeno55

When you do your deli, do you smoke those 3-4 lbs turkey breast and then slice? I saw this huge like 20 lbs ball of breast meat the other day at SAMs but it looked nasty!

XLBGE 
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    I just got the Chef's Choice 615, 7". So far have used to slice turkey breast roast for lunch meat, bread, and bacon. For the volume of what I do, it works great, is lightweight, and doesn't take up much storage space. I didn't even consider storage space when shopping, but a larger one would have been inconvenient. Take that into consideration. If I had a large empty counter space where I could leave it set out all the time, no big deal. But I am slicing bread on it every few days, and don't have somewhere to keep it set out. On tip on slicing, par freeze the meat first, it will slice much cleaner.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Greeno55
    That's exactly what I do. That, and beef roasts. +1 on par freezing.
  • DMW
    Planning to use it to slice an eye round roast for beef jerky over this week over Thanksgiving break. The roast is already frozen. Any thoughts on how long to keep it in the fridge before slicing? Or would it slice OK frozen solid?
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • GrannyX4
    I just did 5 boneless turkey breast rolls on the egg and sliced and packaged them up in food saver bags. I have done pastrami, Canadian bacon, pork loin, standing rib roast, and even pork butt. ;;)
  • @DMW I have been looking at the 615, but am concerned about the bacon. Do you have to cut the slab in half to slice it?
    Simi Valley, California
    LBGE, PBC, Annova, SMOBot
  • GrannyX4
    @DMW I have been looking at the 615, but am concerned about the bacon. Do you have to cut the slab in half to slice it?

I did.
  • DMW
    @DMW I have been looking at the 615, but am concerned about the bacon. Do you have to cut the slab in half to slice it?

I did not, having it partially frozen helped, but it was a little tricky having the slab longer than the slider tray.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• So I've it my fingers crossed!!

Was talking about wanted a meat slicer at work and a woman said she had one and I could have it. I offered to pay her and she said don't worry about it, it's in the box never used someone gave it to me and I'll bring it to work tomorrow.

Well long story short, today she brought me an electric carving knife. Told her I appreciated it so much but not what I meant. After explaining to her what I wanted. She said oh! My brother has three of those. He used to own a grocery store and has been trying to get ride of equipment.

So now she's calling him to see what the low down is 8-}

I'm imaging something enormous commercial and pure awesome that my wife will kill me for bringing home!!!
    I hope I'm right!!

XLBGE