Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wow it is cold!!

Options
jhl192
jhl192 Posts: 1,006
edited November 2013 in EggHead Forum
My fellow Egger's.   I love my Egg and I love cooking on it.  I have been reading a lot of posts on cold weather egging so I thought I would give it a try.  25 degrees with 20-25 mph winds.  Feels like single digits.  I'm doing Kansas City Spare Ribs.  The Egg took a little while longer to come up to speed as I think the wind was slowing down the heat up process of the egg.  I have the top and bottom vents shut down 50% to 75% of the usual to hold 350 degrees.  It is holding steady and doing well.  I wish I could say the same for me.  When I went to cover them for the last hour with aluminum foil and add apple juice,  the wind made putting the foil on almost impossible.  I'll let you know if it was worth it once I pull them off in a hour.  
XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 

Comments

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Yeah, for me its not the cold I mind, its the wind. Makes everything more difficult and outdoor heaters almost useless.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • revolver1
    Options
    11degrees here when I got up. Burr!!!
    Dan, Columbia,Mo.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    revolver1 said:
    11degrees here when I got up. Burr!!!

WOW, Dan - for you in Columbia MO that is cold! We were a toasty 16 this morning! Ever think you might have to move North in the winter? LOL
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Wind chill of 13 degrees here in Central PA. Actually had trouble keeping the temp down due to the high winds fanning the coals.
    Options
    Let's call the wahmbulance....cissies

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• grEGGorys
    Options
    Wow. Now I remember why I moved to Florida. Oh, I need to mention that it will be in the mid 30's at night mid week. I guess I should not have stopped in Florida and gone on to Mexico.
    Gulf Coast FL
  • bettysnephew
    Options
    I showed 7° on the indoor/outdoor this AM.  It got up to 22 later though.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • Mike_the_BBQ_Fanatic
    Options
    I've had the XL going all day...a little higher then my normal low and slows, but I went thru 8 lbs and have been having trouble keeping the temp up all day...

Do you guys find that it takes more lump on cold days?
    Making the neighbors jealous in Pleasant Hill, Ia one cook at a time...
  • DMW
    Options
    I just ran to the store to get some raw almonds as I was in the mood to try smoking something new. But...its 20* and dropping and windy. Got the almonds, but that will wait for another time.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • KennyLee
    KennyLee Posts: 806
    Options

Another advantage of the Egg....I've noticed very little if any difference cooking on cold days versus normal or warm days.  Cooked some baby backs yesterday in 30* weather with a consistent hard north wind with my normal method and time and saw zero difference between the last time I cooked the same thing in mild or warm weather.  The heat retention capabilities and efficiency of the Egg is unmatched even by the most expensive smokers in this regard.

The only adjustment I made was bringing the slabs indoors to wrap and unwrap instead of doing it on the granite top of my Egg table.  

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

• Coastalcooker
    Options
    It was mid 70's yesterday for a high, today 50's. Gale warning from the NE and then drops to 39 by daylight. It was a good day to sit by the fire inside. Alas, there is no fireplace here. Highs for the next week never hit 70. Last weekend was also pleasant with a Monday 20 degrees colder.
    Winter is here.
    Egg is outdoors but is sheltered somewhat from the north and once lit does not seem to mind the cold. Neither sleet nor snow, gale or rain shall keep the turkey from cooking Wed night.
    Ready for spring.
    Bob
    Cookin' on the coast
    Shellman Bluff, GA
    Medium BGE

• jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    Well,  when I opened it up to add the apple juice the temp dropped to 300 and I had to open up the vents quite a bit to get the temp back up.  Ended up taking an extra hour but they came out good.  As someone else said above,  I think the cold was not the problem, it was the gusty wind.  I think next time it is this cold and windy,  I will order Chinese food!  
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    Options
    This cold crap has to go.  Only thing cold should be the ice in my drink.  Cooked a few port tenderloins last night and froze. 

I need to move to the Caribbean.

Garnerville, NY
  • DMW
    Options
    robnybbq said:
    This cold crap has to go.  Only thing cold should be the ice in my drink.  Cooked a few port tenderloins last night and froze. 

I agree, I just like Fall and Spring way too much. If I could find a climate that only had Spring and Fall, that would be the trick. I can actually deal with the cold better that hot humid summer.

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    DMW said:

robnybbq said:

I agree, I just like Fall and Spring way too much. If I could find a climate that only had Spring and Fall, that would be the trick. I can actually deal with the cold better that hot humid summer.

Move to the Pacific Northwest. You just have to put up with a little rain.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,771
    Options
    came home from camp and there ws 2 new ice fishing rods on the stoop
    :D unfortunately for you guys it hasnt been cold enough.
    :)) lets get this wintah started
    :D
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Bring the cold, I love it.

Egg did turkey yesterday like a champ!
  • Mike_the_BBQ_Fanatic
    Options
    I was using a cyber q yesterday...when it was warmer out, I would start the lump and then let the fan bring me into the last 100 degrees...yesterday I learned late in the day that I get there much faster if I open the vents up and use the fan to maintain...every cook is a learning experience.
    Making the neighbors jealous in Pleasant Hill, Ia one cook at a time...