Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Nova Lox -First attempt

Options
I cured a pound of Atlantic salmon fillet for 36 hours in the fridge with 10 lbs of weight resting on it. Just threw it on the egg with my A-Mazing Cold smoker set on the platesetter. Hopefully in 6 hours I'll have success. Shouldn't have any trouble keeping the temperature down, it is 25° outside. Pretty easy cook as you can see in the pictures.

Comments

• Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Interested to see how this comes out-
    Greensboro, NC
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Was going to say "You da man!" til I saw you were inside with a short sleeved shirt and no socks.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Doc_Eggerton
    Options
    I have all the same set up and have been waiting for the outside temp to cool enough to try this.  On the other hand we love our hot smoked salmon.  How did it turn out.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• MacKay52
    Options
    It came out great. Socks and slippers are just too hot. Definitely doing this again.
  • Gogogordy
    Options
    Looks great, and very lox-ish. I just made some in the fridge, no Egg involvement. Totally cold cured and delicious. Although I DID smoke my cure salt prior to. Cold smoking (which is what lox is) is for flavoring purposes only at 80 degrees or less. The cold smoke has no effect on the preservation or curing of the fish. Am wondering if the Egg was your way to flavor (smoke) the fish?
    When I'm not Eggin', I'm scootin'   Eggin' and 'cueing from Temecula Ca; an hour from San Diego, an hour and five minutes from Palm Springs, and an hour and a half from Los Angeles (yeah, right. With THAT traffic?)
  • MacKay52
    Options
    Actually, Lox is cured but not smoked. It was traditionally made from the belly portion of Pacific salmon. Nova (Scotia) Lox is cured and cold smoked Atlantic Salmon. I used the egg purely as a containment vessel, I probably could have used a cardboard box. I had my cold smoker sitting on the placesetter then used an elevated grid to hold the salmon up so any heat from the cold smoker wouldn't affect the fish. The dome temp was about 50°. I smoked the fish for 6 hours. You are correct the smoke is for flavor only.
  • MacKay52
    Options
    I plan to use some of the hot smoked salmon to make a salmon spread for appetizers on Thanksgiving.
  • Gogogordy
    Options
    Yes, "Grav" lox is cured cold only, and Nova is cured and smoked...

What type of smoke did you use? (wood type)  

I used Hickory to flavor my curing salt for my Grav Lox (very subtle) and I use Alder for my Northwest style hard-smoked salmon....have for 23 years now.

When I'm not Eggin', I'm scootin'   Eggin' and 'cueing from Temecula Ca; an hour from San Diego, an hour and five minutes from Palm Springs, and an hour and a half from Los Angeles (yeah, right. With THAT traffic?)
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Options
    MacKay52 said:
    Actually, Lox is cured but not smoked. It was traditionally made from the belly portion of Pacific salmon. Nova (Scotia) Lox is cured and cold smoked Atlantic Salmon. I used the egg purely as a containment vessel, I probably could have used a cardboard box. I had my cold smoker sitting on the placesetter then used an elevated grid to hold the salmon up so any heat from the cold smoker wouldn't affect the fish. The dome temp was about 50°. I smoked the fish for 6 hours. You are correct the smoke is for flavor only.
    I am waiting to try this when the temps get cool enough here, and LOL, I told The Spouse just yesterday that I could do it in a cardboard box.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• MacKay52
    Options
    I used apple because I have lots of it. Also I thought that a mild smoke would be appropriate. I'd like to try alder but I just didn't have any on hand. I commonly use pieces of trimmed trees from my yard. I have plenty of apple, maple and oak so I tend to use those woods.