Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Do I just want a new Egg or am I justified??

Turkey day is fast approaching so I went to the mothership to pick up a few things. I had previously began talks with the sales manager about getting the xxl when it becomes available. After talking with him and one of their main chefs I realized I wasn't going to buy the xxl for the fact that I needed that large of a cooking space, but more for bragging rights. Currently I have a large, medium, and mini. When cooking the larger cuts of meat I feel that my large is cramped.....the meat occasionally touches the dome or if I want to use a pan it doesn't always fit. So my question is should I relieve myself of my medium and get an xl or continue with my current set up? Have any of you large users experienced the same thing?
Extra Large, Large, and Mini. Tucker, GA

Comments

• I find the medium has worked for me for 34 years
    Jefferson .GA.  
    Been egging since 1985 on a medium egg
  • Get them both! When the xxl is out get that too. You'll have the whole family ^:)^
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    There are certainly times when I wish I had more space on the large.  Honestly the XXL is cool looking but it just seems ridonkulous.  I wouldn't trust my deck to hold that thing ;)

If you want the XL then go for it.  I would just estimate how much it is gonna cost you and see if you think it is worth the difference.  I would guess you are looking at about $900 difference if you buy new (sell your medium for around $400, new XL for around $1300). 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Jebpot
    Jebpot Posts: 374
    xl 1100.00 @ carpets of Dalton in Dalton ga.

XL and Small

Chattanooga, TN

• RLeeper
    RLeeper Posts: 480
    There are certainly times when I wish I had more space on the large.  Honestly the XXL is cool looking but it just seems ridonkulous.  I wouldn't trust my deck to hold that thing ;)

If you want the XL then go for it.  I would just estimate how much it is gonna cost you and see if you think it is worth the difference.  I would guess you are looking at about $900 difference if you buy new (sell your medium for around $400, new XL for around $1300). 

I agree with you about the xxl and I have already decided against that purchase. You are correct about the math and I may already have a buyer. Thanks for your input. @rsmith193 you can't forget about the small!
  • RLeeper
    @Jebpot is that the price for the package or just the XL?
  • gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    The wife, who was originally opposed to the Egg, commented that she wished I had a bigger one. I have a large so going to XL isn't likely but now I'd tell anyone starting out to get an XL and then a second smaller one if needed (I have 4 boys so I think an XL will eventually be justifiable).
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • IMHO, If you are going to get the XL and must dispose of one of the others due to space or whatever, I would seriously consider selling the Large.  That would give you a step between each size which gives you a nice spread for different sized cooks or multiple temperature options.

Or just plan on getting a Small down the road and having even more bragging rights, because then you will HAVE to get the XXL to complete the group.  SWMBO could not argue with this logic.  It would be a moral imperative. LOL

A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Jebpot said:
    xl 1100.00 @ carpets of Dalton in Dalton ga.
    That's a good price!  Hmmmm...now I'm doin gthe math on trading in my large...;) :-?

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• RLeeper
    @bettysnephew I am not looking for bragging rights at this point but it would certainly be nice. I would need to keep my large due to the amount of accessories I have and the sentimental value of it being my first Egg!
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Get the xl, but don't sell any just yet. Sell an egg only if SWMBO makes you do it!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • RLeeper
    edited November 2013
    She doesn't really care what I do or spend on my eggs because she reaps all the benefits. My current egging porch won't accommodate the xl and medium in addition to the mini and large.
  • The answer is obviously to make the porch bigger :)
    Southern Indiana
  • RLeeper
    The answer is obviously to make the porch bigger :)

As much as I love that idea we are thinking about moving!
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    RLeeper said:
    The answer is obviously to make the porch bigger :)

As much as I love that idea we are thinking about moving!
    In that case, next house needs more porch, fewer bedrooms :D

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Just get the next house with a killer outdoor kitchen equipped properly and you're all set. 

I solved my lust for an XL by getting the Adjustable Rig and a second L egg. Maybe you already have one of those... I just know that I was concerned about my deck holding all the extra weight of an XL + L and table. Now I'm very happy to have my two L eggs.  I still wish I would have kept my M though. 

Like others have said, if she lets you add one, keep them all! I see it like power tools - you have to have the right one for the job.
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • RLeeper
    Swmbo has no problem adding, subtracting, or keeping the egg family equal. She doesn't have to cook anymore! I am definitely planning to add the outdoor cooking area to the next house. With an xl with ar, large with ar and mini when would I need my Medium?? Going to the mothership tomorrow to trade it if the medium doesn't sell on CL
  • RLeeper
    Maybe I'll take the medium to the in laws so we can egg when we visit....hmm you guys are making me re-think getting rid of my medium!
  • minniemoh
    I'm hauling one of my L eggs to my parents for Thanksgiving to make the turkey. If you can keep it in the family and use it instead of a gasser at the in-laws you have the perfect storm.
    eggAddict from MN!
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,188
    edited November 2013
    I fixed the problem you describe with an xl. Now my xl is too small. Looking for an xxl to fix that some day. Keep that medium tho, it's the best egg size IMO.
  • RLeeper
    edited November 2013
    Right now the in laws don't have anything but a small weber grill. Really considering taking it to VA though. I certainly hope I stop at the XL though!
  • I have the xl, lg, small and mini....I use the xl and large the most, switching for size of cook, mini for wife and I or small items such as ABT's, and have the small in the RV...I think I have everything I will ever need...just go with your gut and get what you want...life is too short to worry about it...

Rockwall Texas, just east of Dallas where the humidity and heat meet! Life is too short to get caught in the fast lane behind somebody slow!

XL, LG, Sm, Mini and Weber for drink holder

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    RLeeper said:

Swmbo has no problem adding, subtracting, or keeping the egg family equal. She doesn't have to cook anymore! I am definitely planning to add the outdoor cooking area to the next house. With an xl with ar, large with ar and mini when would I need my Medium?? Going to the mothership tomorrow to trade it if the medium doesn't sell on CL

Sounds like she's a keeper!
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • RLeeper
    Swmbo is definitely a keeper! Thanks for all the input guys. I did go with my gut and sold the medium and put the cash toward the extra large package. Horrible pic but here she is!
  • minniemoh
    @ woody's wood pit - you gave the best advice of all in my opinion. If you have the means, go for it.

@RLeeper - congrats on the new XL. I'm sure you'll love it. Besides, if you miss the M too much, you can always get another one. 
    :D
    eggAddict from MN!