Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Berkshire pork

Options
So I've been hearing that Berkshire/Kurobata is THE be all/end all for pork.  I have a friend who is letting me purchase the pork at the price his restaurant is charged.  Has anyone tried this pork before?  Is it notably different than the normal swift/armor or duroc?
Near San Francisco in California

Comments

• BuckeyeBob
    Options
    We have a store that sells Berkshire and I have found the chops and tenderloin to be outstanding compared to normal. Better flavor and seems moister than what I was used to. To me, it is definitely worth the extra cost.
    Clarendon Hills, IL
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    Options

I just put a Berkshire pork belly on the egg.

• baychilla
    Options
    hondabbq said:

I just put a Berkshire pork belly on the egg.

I need to see if I can get the belly and cheeks now.  I like making my own bacon but the stores in the area charge so much its cheaper to buy the Hobbs (which IMO is quite good).
  • Greeno55
    Greeno55 Posts: 635
    Options
    I made about 8 pounds of Berkshire bacon. Let me tell you one thing, I wasn't sharing that with anybody.
    LBGE (2012), MiniMax (2014), and too many Eggcessories to list.  - Sudbury, Ontario
  • SoCal_Griller
    Options
    Where are you buying this Berkshire pork, can you order online?
    Simi Valley, California
    LBGE, PBC, Annova, SMOBot
  • baychilla
    Options
    Where are you buying this Berkshire pork, can you order online?
    I have a friend who owns a restaurant and hes ordering it for me through one of his suppliers.
  • rahimlee54
    Options
    Bacon made out of Berkshire is awesome.  I have had a few other heritage breeds as well and they are all great.  For smoking I have read on multiple accounts no difference could be found taste wise.  I buy Berkshire pork belles often, they are very expensive, the bacon is exquisite though.  Plus anymore than two pieces is to much for me.  I have a local high end butcher I get the berkshire from but this site is also a good source of awesome meat.