Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Berkshire pork

So I've been hearing that Berkshire/Kurobata is THE be all/end all for pork.  I have a friend who is letting me purchase the pork at the price his restaurant is charged.  Has anyone tried this pork before?  Is it notably different than the normal swift/armor or duroc?
·

Comments

• We have a store that sells Berkshire and I have found the chops and tenderloin to be outstanding compared to normal. Better flavor and seems moister than what I was used to. To me, it is definitely worth the extra cost.
    Clarendon Hills, IL
    ·
  • hondabbqhondabbq Posts: 1,219

I just put a Berkshire pork belly on the egg.

Winnipeg, Manitoba.

Welcome to the wonderful world of Motley Brew.

·
  • hondabbq said:

I just put a Berkshire pork belly on the egg.

I need to see if I can get the belly and cheeks now.  I like making my own bacon but the stores in the area charge so much its cheaper to buy the Hobbs (which IMO is quite good).
    ·
  • Greeno55Greeno55 Posts: 615
    I made about 8 pounds of Berkshire bacon. Let me tell you one thing, I wasn't sharing that with anybody.
    LBGE (2012), MiniMax (2014), and too many Eggcessories to list.  - Sudbury, Ontario
    ·
  • Where are you buying this Berkshire pork, can you order online?
    Simi Valley, California
    ·
  • Where are you buying this Berkshire pork, can you order online?
    I have a friend who owns a restaurant and hes ordering it for me through one of his suppliers.
    ·
  • Bacon made out of Berkshire is awesome.  I have had a few other heritage breeds as well and they are all great.  For smoking I have read on multiple accounts no difference could be found taste wise.  I buy Berkshire pork belles often, they are very expensive, the bacon is exquisite though.  Plus anymore than two pieces is to much for me.  I have a local high end butcher I get the berkshire from but this site is also a good source of awesome meat.

·