Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chicken wings at 225??

Options
pantsypants
pantsypants Posts: 1,191
edited November 2013 in EggHead Forum
So i am doing ribs and wings today. Planning on doing the pork back ribs at 225 and wondering you're guys thoughts on putting the wings on with them ?? Would they end up ok ? To smokey if they are on with ribs ? And if I do cook them at 225 how long would I cook them for ?? Thanks Oh I am also smoking the bacon that has been curing for the last 8 days Today is a good day
Toronto

Comments

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I think they would turn out fine.  If you are talking dome temp then I would bump it up to 250 anyway for the ribs.  I think you would be looking at somewhere in the 1.5 hour range for the wings at 250ish dome.  Ribs, wings, and bacon...definitely sounds like a great day! 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• pantsypants
    Options
    Awesome thanks
    Toronto
  • baychilla
    Options
    So i am doing ribs and wings today. Planning on doing the pork back ribs at 225 and wondering you're guys thoughts on putting the wings on with them ?? Would they end up ok ? To smokey if they are on with ribs ? And if I do cook them at 225 how long would I cook them for ?? Thanks Oh I am also smoking the bacon that has been curing for the last 8 days Today is a good day
    A local place with a pit run by an incompetent twit added wings to their menu.  They're done the same temp as the ribs and come out fine.  To "spice" things up the chef had the brainy idea to toss the wings with a bit of Tabasco before serving.  They're now one of the best things on the menu as its hard for their crew to screw them up.
    Near San Francisco in California
  • pantsypants
    Options
    Haha I think I can handle this then
    Toronto
  • Cymbaline65
    Options
    So Baychilla, I'm assuming that you're not a fan of the BBQ joint up the road from you? I don't know, kind of get that feeling...
    In the  Hinterlands between Cumming and Gainesville, GA
    Med BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe, Brinkman Dual Zone, Weber Genesis Gas Grill and portable gasser for boating
  • baychilla
    baychilla Posts: 387
    edited November 2013
    Options
    So Baychilla, I'm assuming that you're not a fan of the BBQ joint up the road from you? I don't know, kind of get that feeling...
    Heh, not at all.  It was a roadhouse-esque place that had a pit.  The chef that re-opened it (it'd been German place since the 30s) left for her places in Napa.  The chef that took over is a guy with more a passion for schmoozing the bar than watching the kitchen.  He's managed to lose/screw up the original rib/brisket/pulled pork recipes so badly you wonder if he has taste buds.  Further when all the staff was eating the coffee ice cream before the patrons could get it his solution was to pull it from the menu rather than discipline the staff.

To be fair we now have a dedicated BBQ place about the same distance in the opposite direction.  The food their for BBQ is much better but the service is beyond lacking.
    Near San Francisco in California
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Options
    So how did the wings turnout?
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • pantsypants
    Options
    After an hour and a half on the egg they were not getting cooked the way I wanted. The  outside was not getting the crunch that I was going for so i moved them into the oven for 30 mins and they ended up being phenomenal !!

sitting on the smokey grill and then crisping in the oven was great and they turned out perfect !!
    Oh and the ribs were not so bad either !!

Toronto
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    Options
    You should have let them go a little longer. I do wings @250 for a little more then two hours and they are crispy on the outside yet very tender and moist on the inside. I don't sauce them until they are cooked and I am serving them.
  • pantsypants
    Options
    I really didn't have time but next time I will for sure
    Toronto
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    Did a batch frozen @ 350, when they warmed I seasoned. Done in an hr crisp skin could not tell the difference btwn thawed or these.
    Seattle, WA