Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re so close to Thanksgiving that we can taste it and we’re ready to help you prepare the most delicious Thanksgiving feast you’ve ever cooked! Check out our Turkey Cheat Sheet for turkey tips, our Thanksgiving page for turkey recipes, and our Holiday Entertaining Publication for all other Thanksgiving needs to help you make this the best Thanksgiving yet! PS. Don’t forget about breakfast Thanksgiving morning either!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Thawing turkey

How soon do I need to move my 22 lb. turkey from the freezer to the fridge so I can cook it on Thanksgiving day?

• 24hrs for every 5lbs.
    LGBE August 2013

Louisville, KY
  • rholtrholt Posts: 375
  • +1 now
    XL   Walled Lake, MI

• dihtndihtn Posts: 194
    +2 now!!
  • +3 now!
  • On the Butterball site there is a calculator page that figures (refrigerator or cold water) thaw time, size required for number of people and cook time at 325°F.  All pretty handy to have available.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • Thanks, I put the bird in the fridge last night.
  • TheBrewerMooseTheBrewerMoose Posts: 33
    edited November 2013
    My 22 lb bird went from freezer to garage fridge 2 weeks ago. After a week it was still slightly frozen to the touch, pretty much left undisturbed and door to fridge kept closed. So today I pull it out and it's completely thawed. Is 2 weeks too long? It was a frozen pre-brined bird.
  • Actually I pulled the receipt and it was only 10 days so I'm not gonna worry about it