Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

roast pork

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
How do I get a good crackle on my roast pork? Whenever I do it (15 times) the crackle comes out chewy and not crunchy,,, I am desperate as my wife thinks that the pork tastes better in the normal oven....
Please Reply

Comments

• Paul Kelly,[p]I get far better crackling from my egg than the electric oven. [p]Score the skin and rub some salt into the slits. I then give it a spray with a little canola oil.[p]I put the pork in a V rack in a stainless steel roasting pan. Pre-heat the egg to 475 degrees dome temperature and cook the pork indirect. When the crackling puffs up (this usually takes about 30 to 45 minutes) drop the temperature to 375-400.[p]You'll know it's working from the fat sizzling as it hits the pan.[p]During your first cook, it would be an idea to check every 10 minutes or so to make sure the crackling doesn't burn (but don't look for the first 30 minutes). If you do this quickly and don't lift the dome high, minimal heat is lost.[p][p]
  • Score the skin and rub some salt into the slits. I then give it a spray with a little canola oil.[p]I put the pork in a V rack in a stainless steel roasting pan. Pre-heat the egg to 475 degrees dome temperature and cook the pork indirect. When the crackling puffs up (this usually takes about 30 to 45 minutes) drop the temperature to 375-400.[p]You'll know it's working from the fat sizzling as it hits the pan.[p]During your first cook, it would be an idea to check every 10 minutes or so to make sure the crackling doesn't burn (but don't look for the first 30 minutes). If you do this quickly and don't lift the dome high, minimal heat is lost Trying this today with a bone in centre cut loin. Attempting roasted potatoes for the first time too. Will let you know how it goes. Thanks for the advice.
    Bronxville, New York. XLBGE, MBGE