Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Hop on down to your nearest EGG dealer this week to pick up some Easter EGGcessories! Here are a few that may be useful for Easter, the V-rack, electric charcoal lighter and flexible skewers! Now that Spring is in the air, it's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

got my new extra large

Beer-n-EggsBeer-n-Eggs Posts: 36
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well I sold my large today and went and picked up the extra large. Man this thing is a mammoth. I'm gonna have to baptize it tonight with something. What could it be that's fairly quick yet yummy? I'm doing steaks tomorrow night so don't want that tonight?[p]Ideas?[p]Any tricks I should know about the extra large since I'm used to cooking on a large or should it be smooth sailing?[p]Thanks!
Buster

Comments

• bbqwizardbbqwizard Posts: 119
    Beer-n-Eggs,[p]Congrats on the new Egg! You could always grill up some yummy onion burgers, or Beer-n-Brats.[p]Have fun!
    phillip

• TheHulkTheHulk Posts: 157
    Beer-n-Eggs,[p]With the real estate you have for a grate, you could throw on a variety of things....[p]Good luck & invite the neighbors....
  • eggfamily.jpg
    <p />well, here she is, fired up and ready for meet. Tonight we'll be doing a pork tenderloin, some talapia and veggie pacs. Yummy!
  • Big MurthBig Murth Posts: 350
    Beer-n-Eggs,
    Impressive array there, per your photo. Curious that both Big(and Bigger) Eggs are in wheeled nests....but no folding side-tray tables? Due to lack of elbow room on your tree-shaded deck, or???
    Yup, I've seen the new Beast at my local Egg purveyor, yesterday when I picked up my replacement dome for my Large(long story)..and the New Maxi Egg looks pretty sweet. I always thought that my next BGE purchase might be a small or medium, but now I know I already own the "new" medium---just goes to show that---- what most of us know here in the land of the free---"there is no substitute for cubic inches"
    You go bro.
    Big Murth in New Mexico

• Big Murth,[p]Dude, I'm tellin ya....maybe it's me tryin to convince myself but it seems with the larger voume of the XL that temp is easier to regulate on my first cook. I love everything about it except for the weight. [p]The reason for no side tables is b/c of the sitting space on the sides of my stainless jenn-air plus porch railings, there's really no reason for me to invest in the sides. I'm actually thinking about building a cart for this jewel but making a hinged/liftable front in front of the egg so I can easily slide it out and take it places with my nest. I don't know. Might be a good winter project. No rush since I have the wheels. [p]Of course, it's mobility is limited by it's weight so the hinge idea may be a moot point as I may never remove it from the cart. If I do a cart, it will have an umbrella hole and if I catch umbrellas discounted end of season next year, that would be good. [p]Who knows what she will hold in her future but so far, I'm glad I made the jump larger. My in-laws came over tonight, and in some good redneck words they said...."damn that thing is swole". Well I guess that's a good thing cuz tomorrow she gets her first hog shoulder and deer shoulder. Ahhhh sooky sooky!!![p]I'll take pics of whatever goes on!

• dblRdblR Posts: 75
    Beer-n-Eggs,[p]Welcome to the XL club. 7-8lb BUTT!! it is what I did. You will not believe how it holds temp. You will alomst put in a whole bag of BGE lump; but you will be pleasantly surprised how little the XL uses. I love mine. One word of advice that Dr.BBQ gave me that is so true for T-rexed steaks; get you some long tongs. Big Boy is really 24" of 800* HOT!![p]Ralph
  • Beer-n-Eggs,
    My first thought looking at your pics was, "gee....hope that deck is engineered strong enough to hold all that weight, plus any 'guests'????

• CJ,[p]Yeah we've wondered that ourself since it's 14 ft off the ground.[p]Maybe I should rig a harnes to the roof on each egg in case the deck should give way, the eggs remain safely hanging.
  • I was thinking of getting an extra large.

I had a couple of questions:

1. How large is the actual cooking grate? (I've seen anywhere it listed as 22 inches and 24 inches. The reason why I'm asking is I was wondering if other standard grates - e.g. Weber 22 1/2 inch grates - would fit.)

2. Does it weigh over 250 pounds?

Thanks!