Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sides to go with BB ribs?

Options
Got my BB ribs prepped and in frig for tomorrow's cook. Don't want the usual cold slop..I mean cole slaw...baked beans or potato salad. Want to utilize multl eggs. Looking for ideas for sides done on egg. 

A recent post asked the question how often we multi-egg owners actually use them same time. I felt a little guilty when I thought about it since the answer for me was not very often at all.  Now I am on a mission to do make it more freq. That IS why I got mullt ones in the 1st place!

Please throw some ideas my way please!!! TIA
LBGE 4/2012, MBGE 6/2012 & Mini 11/2013
Rome, GA

Comments

• Gator_Fan
    Options
    Try some fresh veggies; Our favorite is mixing Zucchini, Yellow Squash, Onion, Mushrooms and Cherry Tomatoes. Toss them in olive oil and sprinkle with your favorite seasoning, throw them in a grilling pan and enjoy.image

John,

Sellersburg, Indiana

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    ABTs and MOINK balls
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • KennyLee
    KennyLee Posts: 806
    Options
    I often put a half dozen or so small red potatoes covered with olive oil and Dizzy Dust on the top tier or my swing rack while smoking BBs.  Also like bacon wrapped jalepenos.

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Wet wipes?

Seriously, Mac and cheese. You'll put your face right into your plate.
  • NibbleMeThis
    Options
    I like doing scalloped potatoes, bacon wrapped tater tots, Tyler Florence's Chile Relleno Rice, grilled romaine salad, or maybe some twice baked potatoes. 
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • NecessaryIndulg
    Options
    I always make four cheese macaroni with baby backs.
    (Now I'm craving both while sitting in an airport. . . )
    I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences.  
    You can also find me on FacebookInstagram, and Twitter.
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    Do some grilled sweet potato slices.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    edited November 2013
    Options

Here is recipe I love, Bill from Texas bbq rubs.

Use any rub on hand or none, just replace with salt n pepper if you like. I cut the recipe down when I make it.

BILL’S SURPRISE POTATOES

1 full size aluminum-serving pan – this will serve about 50 to 75 people

10 pounds of whole potatoes (I have used Idaho’s, russets, and others)

1 family size can (27oz) of cream of mushroom soup

1 family size can (27oz) of cream of chicken soup

2 cups of sour cream

½ cup of Texas BBQ Rub

¼ cup of paprika

3 cups of shredded cheese (use cheddar or a blend of Monterey jack and cheddar)

¼ cup of granulated garlic (use this to your flavor liking)

Alt. Ingredient – your choice of chopped meat (brisket, butt, sausage)

First cut the potatoes in half (this will speed up the cooking time) and I leave the skin on the potatoes.

In a large pot, boil the potatoes. Cooking time on the potatoes is about 30 to 45 minutes. When the potatoes are done, drain off the water and pour them into the serving pan.

While the potatoes are still hot, crumble the potatoes into pieces. Add both cans of soup, the sour cream, Texas BBQ Rub, and the granulated garlic and mix into the potatoes. Now add about ½ of the cheese and mix that into the potato mix. Spread this out in the pan and top with a large portion of cheese and then sprinkle with the paprika.

Cover with aluminum foil and you can heat this in the oven at 225 degrees for about 1 to 1 1/2 hours (till all the cheese melts) or I stick mine on the pit and melt the cheese on the pit.
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Mac and cheese on the egg is awesome- love the smokey addition to the flavor
    Greensboro, NC
  • krobertsmsn
    Options
    @Gator Fan-that's a beautiful pic... looks delish...

Mac and cheese has called me all evening and this a.m.

@smokyj-I looked online unsuccessfully the other day for Texas BBQ rub to do my brisket next weekend. Where do you get it?

The potato tots/and others sure are pulling at me too. These are some great ideas..I'm def bookmarking these recipes for use while off this week...thanks!

KEEP UM COMING!!
    Rome, GA
  • Village Idiot
    Options
    pinto banes with jalapeños.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• krobertsmsn
    krobertsmsn Posts: 655
    edited November 2013
    Options
    I'm guessing the mac and cheese can go for around 325-350 degrees for the 1 hr my ribs rest?? Or should I slow cook, say around 275-300 for 1.5 hrs? I would just like a hint of smoke flavor.
    Rome, GA
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    My family loves some BBQ baked beans done on the egg.  My wife does a pretty simple recipe using cans of baked beans jazzed up with bacon, onion, chili sauce. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• smokeyj
    smokeyj Posts: 340
    Options
    @Gator Fan-that's a beautiful pic... looks delish...

Mac and cheese has called me all evening and this a.m.

@smokyj-I looked online unsuccessfully the other day for Texas BBQ rub to do my brisket next weekend. Where do you get it?

The potato tots/and others sure are pulling at me too. These are some great ideas..I'm def bookmarking these recipes for use while off this week...thanks!

KEEP UM COMING!!

Here is the site - http://texasbbqrub.com/shopping.html
    I just bought some Grand champion and the new stuff they just released, it's called the right stuff. You may have to call or email to see if its available. The new stuff maybe my favorite. It has a nice buttery flavor. It has msg but they are working on a non msg version. I tried it last night on some ribs it was awesome. You can't go wrong with any of the rubs. Try a bag of each and see if you can get the new stuff.

• Village Idiot
    Options
    @smokeyj  I just got his new "Right Stuff" spice with my rub order.  I'm going to rotisserie a chicken on my Weber in the next few days and coat it with the spice.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• smokeyj
    smokeyj Posts: 340
    Options

@smokeyj  I just got his new "Right Stuff" spice with my rub order.  I'm going to rotisserie a chicken on my Weber in the next few days and coat it with the spice.

Sounds good. I couldn't stop eating the ribs last night, that buttery flavor is so good. I may experiment with some of that molly butter buds or molly mcbutter added in my grand champion rub. Post back what you think of the new rub please.
  • jtippers
    jtippers Posts: 512
    Options
    Wow... Awesome thread! Bookmarked!
    SBGE December 2012 •  XLBGE December 2013 •  Yoder YS640 July

• baychilla
    Options
    Mac N Cheese.  I special ordered baby backs with Mac N Cheese on my last Seabourn cruise.  I knew the ribs wouldnt actually be BBQd, but WOW.  The dry rub and sauce they made were great and I could've eaten myself into a heart attack with the Mac N Cheese they did.
    Near San Francisco in California
  • krobertsmsn
    krobertsmsn Posts: 655
    edited November 2013
    Options
    @smokyj and @Villageidiot..I emailed the co after this post today and asked when" the right stuff" would be avail. I was surprised that I got an email back today being Sunday...He said they are working on packaging and expect it to be avail online in 2 weeks.

FWIW-I did the BB ribs, spinach salad with pears, pecans and craisins, blue cheese crumbles and homemade honey vinegrette, mac and cheese and ABTs w/cream cheese, bacon bits and mixed in some roasted pineapple habenaro dip.  Still used one BGE tho. It just worked out that way.Oh well...next time
    Rome, GA