Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
With winter in full gear, we’re enjoying all the awesome photos of EGGs in the cold weather. Stay warm with some of our favorite Dutch oven recipes: Chicken & Dumplings, Chili Con Carne and BLT Soup.

The Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new location and check out the museum! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Reverse sear rib roast

EggpharmerEggpharmer Posts: 188
edited November 2013 in EggHead Forum
About 5 pounds. Made a paste of garlic, rosemary, Worcestershire sauce, beef base, salt, pepper, and olive oil. Going on indirect at 250 until 120 then will sear.

More pics to come!
·

Comments

• Just hit 120. Egg headed to about 500 now.
    ·
  • SmokeyPittSmokeyPitt Posts: 5,593
    That is gonna be goooooooood.  The rub looks awesome.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg wing. 
    2014 Wing King's Apprentice
    ·
  • Just seared, smells awesome!
    ·
  • lantzwrlantzwr Posts: 171
    edited November 2013
    Looks awesome.  My wife bought one of those today, but she had the butcher cut it into steaks.  I plan on doing a reverse sear on the steaks tomorrow night.
    RobLarge BGE, Merritt Island, (Space Coast of Florida)

Boiler UP
    ·
  • TerrebanditTerrebandit Posts: 1,240
    That looks wonderful.
    Dave - Austin, TX
    ·
  • Cut and plated. Delicious. Made a sauce with the drippings, red wine and beef broth. Photos make it look more rare than it really was.
    ·
  • lantzwrlantzwr Posts: 171
    Wow, perfect.
    RobLarge BGE, Merritt Island, (Space Coast of Florida)

Boiler UP
    ·
  • Looks very nice, congrats on a great cook, enjoy. 

For the past couple of years, I've had the butcher take the bones off, tie the roast into a more circular shape, makes for a very even cook and the bones make wonderful au jus. 
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
    ·
  • 4Runner4Runner Posts: 1,428
    edited November 2013
    Great looking. My wife would disagree but that is why she gets hamburger instead of prime rib. :)
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/
    ·
  • Wow! That looks great! How long was the sear?
    Simi Valley, California
    ·
  • @skiddymarker - the bones also make a wonderful snack for the cook! @4runner - your wife is nuts...hamburger over prime rib...really??? @socal_griller - about 90 seconds per side
    ·
  • EagleIIIEagleIII Posts: 119
    I will say, I love a good Tri-Tip. What I have done, is get the egg to about 300, reverse sear to 115, then pull your Tri Tip and cover with foil. Open the vent on the egg, get egg temp to 700 or so and put your Tips back on to sear. This will only take about 90 seconds a side at this point. When internal temp on your Tip measures 125 or 130, pull off your Tip and let rest for 5 minutes. It should be a perfect medium to medium rare.
    ·
  • R2Egg2QR2Egg2Q Posts: 1,652
    Looks great!! Nice job
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs
    Bay Area, CA
    ·
  • That looks great to me.  Not too underdone at all, for me.

Rib roasts during the holidays are always our favorite because I'll splurge for prime beef whereas during the summer I'd just get a choice rib roast.
    ·