Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Another Turkey Day Discussion

Read up on mad max and spatchcock...seems I can't go wrong either way. Have a 13 pound bird???what's the cooking time/team for each method?

Comments

• rholt
    rholt Posts: 392
    I would go spatch. 350. About 2-2.5 hours.
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    edited November 2013
    Went back and forth on this one myself. I'm going with a traditional turkey presentation and will just cook it to a target Internal temp. When it's done, it's done! I figure that the turkey can rest until everything else finishes up. If the turkey isn't good, nothing else really matters. I'll cook it at 350 or so.
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • Can someone repost the coffee rub everyone likes to use?
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    edited November 2013
    Coffee Rub (turkey, chicken, beef & pork) Equal part: Instant Expresso Ground coffee Equal part: Brown Sugar
    ½ part: Black Pepper
    ½ part: Kosher Salt
    ½ part: Garlic Powder
    ¾ part: Ancho Chili Powder
    Don't worry on exact, just close on measurement. I used to use turbinado sugar but we like with brown better. This is pulled from MollyShark, Hungry Man, & Richard In Fl then tweaked. I find the ancho chili powder is far less expensive in the bulk spice area than the bottled area ( have used both light or dark version). I make it starting with a half cup Instant Expresso Ground coffee and work from there as it seems to store well if sealed.
  • I am cooking a 22.5lb Turkey and will brine it for 24 hours then inject it and rub it own before it goes on the BGE stabilized at 350 degrees. Going for internal temp of 165 degrees in the breast so will let it hit about 155-160 then let it rest in a cooler where it will continue to cook to a nice juicy 165.
  • Hello fellow eggheads. I have not cooked a turkey on the BGE but since we are having a small gathering I thought I would give it a try. Just going to use the recipe that came with the plate setter. Here is my question to you with much more experience .... How much charcoal should I put in the egg. We will be cooking a 18 lb turkey on the large BGE. Recipe says cook at 350 for 12 to 15 minutes per pound. That would mean I need enough charcoal for 4.5 hours. Should I just load it up? Thanks for your help.
  • Clean it out all the way out making sure holes are not clogged.  Then, dump the whole bag in egg and fire it up.

• Aubie1
    Aubie1 Posts: 436
    Tom, just load the egg up. What ever is left can be used in the next grilling. Good luck!
    XL BGE and L BGE
  • A follow up question about charcoal - For a turkey cook as described in the post, should the lump be the larger pieces or just an array of sizes? This will be my first attempt at a long burn and I have heard different theories. Thanks for any information you are willing to share!
    Chris
    St. Louis, MO
    Unit 1: LBGE, cedar table Unit 2:Akorn
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Hello fellow eggheads. I have not cooked a turkey on the BGE but since we are having a small gathering I thought I would give it a try. Just going to use the recipe that came with the plate setter. Here is my question to you with much more experience .... How much charcoal should I put in the egg. We will be cooking a 18 lb turkey on the large BGE. Recipe says cook at 350 for 12 to 15 minutes per pound. That would mean I need enough charcoal for 4.5 hours. Should I just load it up? Thanks for your help.

Spatchcocked Turkey and Chicken on the Big Green Egg (you cut out the backbone and cook opened) I like a 11/12 lb bird. If I need lots of turkey I just cook a couple ( 1 & 1/2 hr cook app) Chicken 3 to 4.5lb bird or birds. Under an hour cook. Or, just add a package of legs extra. I do not brine the turkey or Chicken. If time I like to leave uncovered in the fridge overnight (no problem if no time) I cook "direct" @ 400 on a raised grill "skin side up" and never turn over. I will use a coffee rub. Use what you like. NOTE PLEASE (A LOT OF SMOKE IS NOT YOU FRIEND) I use about a single handfull of mixed chips: Cherry & Pecan. Cook to temp (not time) breast @ 160 and thigh @ 180. Coffee Rub (turkey, chicken, beef & pork) Equal part: Instant Expresso Ground coffee Equal part: Brown Sugar ½ part: Black Pepper ½ part: Kosher Salt ½ part: Garlic Powder ¾ part: Ancho Chili Powder Don't worry on exact, just close on measurement. I used to use turbinado sugar but we like with brown better. This is pulled from MollyShark, Hungry Man, & Richard In Fl then tweaked. I find the ancho chili powder is far less expensive in the bulk spice area than the bottled area ( have used both light or dark version). I make it starting with a half cup Instant Expresso Ground coffee and work from there as it seems to store well if sealed.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Pinkfacemark
    Pinkfacemark Posts: 70
    edited November 2013
    I am by no means an expert but just cooked my third successful turkey on my LBGE.  The cook I just did on saturday was the biggest turkey I have tried (22.5 lbs).  About 2 hours before it was finished I checked the temp and the front temps were significantly less and I started to get a little concerned.  So I picked up the v-rack with the turkey on it and turned 180 degs in the turkey pan, so it was facing the other way.  (USE GLOVES)  I think my pan was not exactly in the middle so the one side was not getting as much airflow.  Just some advice if anyone runs into the same issue. The Turkey was delicious, if you want some pics they are on instagram under my username. 
    Large BGE from Normal, IL 
  • I did spatchcock turkey's yesterday for our family Thanksgiving (2 turkeys). I did Mickey's coffee rub and did them direct at 350(ish) dome. Everyone loved them. Only thing different I would do is remove the skin. This is only personal preference as cutting the turkey with keeping the skin in tact was very difficult and therefore removed a bunch of flavor. Still loved it though, so did the rest of the family
  • ok 1st time cooking the 20 # Turkey on the LBGE brine and injected and after watching endless videos i still have a few questions = 
    a.temp 325 or 350
    b.is it 15 or 20 min a #
    c.do i need to cover completely with foil till the last hour or so

and last i've seen many setups i'm going with PS legs up but should the bird be completely on top of the roaster or inside on the V-Rack like this one i'm using?

• I've only had my large egg for 2 weeks, but I'm doing 2- 8lb turkey breasts and a 10lb ham for Thanksgiving. I see some cooking at 250-275 and some at 350. The ham looks like 18 min. per pound at 350, is this good for the breasts as well?