Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

A preview of what is to come

Options
I really liked Centex's tutorial on the amazing smoker, so I thought I would do a tutorial on making smoked deviled eggs. If a person likes eggs, guarantee they will like these, on the smoker now!

Comments

• Little Steven
    Options
    How long in the smoke Fletch?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Hokie_Smoker
    Options
    More info please. Looks very interesting.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Johnson, Navin R... Sounds like a typical bastard.

Belmont, NC

• hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
  • brianwdmn
    Options
    So hard boiled, then smoked? Why didn't I think of that.
    Marietta, East Cobb, GA
  • ChuckChampion
    Options
    I'm ready to see how this is done!
  • fletcherfam
    Options
    They are off the smoke, yes hard boiled first and then cold smoked. Cold smoked for 90 minutes. More pictures to come!
  • fletcherfam
    Options
    Peel shell before cold smoking ;)
  • Greeno55
    Greeno55 Posts: 635
    Options
    Type of wood?
    LBGE (2012), MiniMax (2014), and too many Eggcessories to list.  - Sudbury, Ontario
  • fletcherfam
    Options
    I prefer cherry myself, I use the amazn smoker so I use pellets. I was out of cherry so I used maple today.

Sorry for not getting the tutorial up yet, my middle one decided to take a nap in the living room so I can't really work on the eggs just yet
  • fletcherfam
    Options
    Ok well let's get on with the tutorial...

So start out with any eggs you like (we prefer the ones our chickens lay but they have slowed down for the winter so we used store bought cheapies)

-in an ideal world you would let the eggs sit on the counter for a couple of days to age. Older eggs peel much much easier. We let ours sit out over night.

Once ready hard boil your eggs. My wife does this part as I always screw it up, but I believe it is something like x amount of minutes hard boil with lid on, then x amount of minutes sit off hear but still covered, the cover in cool water, drain and add more cool water. Anyway, lots of ways to skin a car in hard vision an egg

-Once the eggs are cooled start your cold smoking machine (I use the Amaze-N Smoker as I find it very easy to use, see Centex's tutorial on it on this forum). I personally love cherry pellets as I find the smoke is mild, i would personally not recommend oak or something similar as I tried it and it is very strong for eggs, but again to each his own and this is just how i do it. I used maple for this batch as I am out of cherry for the time being.

-once my cold smoker is up and running I start work on peeling the eggs. I personally found it very easy just to slightly tap it on a counter then roll the shell on the counter to get the shell off, out of 19 eggs I only had one that could not peel.

-once peeling is done rinse the egg to ensure no shell is left on it (I hate when I bite into shell) I personally then pat dry the eggs with a paper towel.

-I then used a vegetable plate thingy mobobby (the technical name if course) that BGE makes just because I am too lazy today to clean my grill. Also I have had an issue where the Amaz-N Smoker generated too much heat from the burning end and blackened a couple of eggs, unthought this would prevent this and it did.

Put the eggs on with full open bottom and top vents for 90 minutes. I personally like to turn them half way through as the bottoms do get a nice slight brown color and unwanted the entire egg to look the same. In terms of taste this does nothing however.

-After 90 minutes pull the eggs and shut down your BGE.

-Now for the actual deviled egg portion I take a knife, cut the gg in half vertically and put the yolk in a seperate bowl. To the yolks I add mayonnaise (or we use veganaise if we have it), mustard and that is about it. This time I am going to try splitting the mayo with sour cream, and adding a little horseradish to it. I don't do exact measurements, I am more looking for consistency of the filling at this time. This take the filling and put it back in the egg halves. Easiest way, and prettiest for all us sissified city folk, is to take a ziplock bag, fill it with your filling, and cut a corner out of it, then gently squeeze the filling out.

-as a little added bonus I throw some paprika on tip and some Dizzy Dust, it adds some nice flavor and crunch to the egg.

VOILA!! Good luck not stuffing your face with these!

Feel free to ask questions, I have a mind like a sieve.

Peace out peeps!

JT