Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

ThermoWorks TW8060 vs Maverick ET-73

Options

Good day folks,

I am looking to get either the TW8060 or the ET-73. I've been successful cooking prime ribs, lamb, beef jerky and ribs without the aid of any of those remote/instant thermometers monitoring system. However as I want to be able to do longer cooks (e.g. pulled pork) and also remove the hassle of constantly checking the Egg temp, I think it is a great tool to have.

I have read many good reviews on the ET-73 and for the pricee; it is pretty sweet deal compare to the TW8060. Looks like the TermoWorks starting kit is ok but to gain full benefits from the unit, I should go with one of their 'upgrade' package. So what would you recommend?

I already have a Thermapen for instant temperature reading.

Cheers!

Minh 

Comments

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Unless I'm mistaken the Thermoworks model doesn't transmit the temp readings like the Maverick does.  So, you still have to go outside to check on it.  I'm sure the thermoworks will be much more accurate and higher quality, however the remote monitoring capability is really nice.   If you already have a thermopen you can use that to get an accurate temp measurement.  If you are cooking something like butts it really doesn't need to be super accurate anyway.  For something like a prime rib you want an accurate reading, but you can use a maverick to get in the ball park then check it with the thermopen. 

FYI- I would get the latest version if picking up a Maverick (ET-733).  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Tixunau
    Options

From my understanding is that I can buy a MTC Handheld Thermocouple Meters or get their Pro BBQ package. However it is price at $221 instead of their starting kit @ $129.

Price point, it does make more sense to buy the Maverick but i am just wondering if the TW8060 would be a good long term investment for multiple purposes. However at $221, it is somehow in the price range of a DigiQ...

• Hoov
    Hoov Posts: 264
    Options
    I believe the $221 price is to get the instant read probe/monitor too. Didn't you say you have a thermapen already? You could opt for the high temp package if so (though I'm sure the base package is more than sufficient). I don't own a tw8060, but it is likely what I will go with due to horror stories I've heard about the maverick.
    - Proud owner of a Large BGE
    - Norman, OK
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options

Is there a reason your looking at the ET-73 vs. the 732 or 733?

Thermoworks makes some cool......stuff, but for that kind of money, I can get you a temp controller + TWO Mavericks.

• Tixunau
    Options

As @smokeypitt pointed it I was going the Maverick route, I'll get the most recent 733.

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    The TW8060 is far and away a better quality unit with much tighter temp control and a much broader range. You are obviously paying for that quality in a unit that is professional grade. It is not wireless, but you can make it "wireless" with a baby monitor. Not exactly ideal or "clean" looking.

The Maverick is consumer grade and relatively cheap. The one and only advantage is that it's wireless. The probes are thermistors instead of thermocouples so their tolerances are much less. I have the Et-732 and have a meh-hate relationship with it. Sometimes it is within 10 degrees of the actual temp and sometimes it is 50 degrees off. I use it as a "ballpark" estimator at best, and check with my Thermapen to actually get the temp. I don't know if it is faulty or not but I am not investing anything more into something that was $40.

Most people on here seem to be very happy with it. I can only think of a handful that don't. 

I'd probably just step up to the Cyberq/Stoker before replacing the Maverick with a TW8060.
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options

I'm one of those very happy with the Maverick ET-732.

Had mine for almost two years and love it.

:D
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • pantsypants
    pantsypants Posts: 1,191
    Options
    I have a Maverick ET 732 and wondering if and why i would need a quick read ?

Toronto
  • Hoov
    edited November 2013
    Options
    An instant read is nice for smaller cuts of meat that the thick maverick probe wouldn't read quick enough in. Like steak, fish, chicken legs/ wings.
    - Norman, OK
  • Hoov
    Options
    And...for getting the temperature at several spots in the meat quickly.
    - Norman, OK
  • pantsypants
    pantsypants Posts: 1,191
    Options
    ahh got it
    that makes sense
    Toronto
  • SeeingSpots
    Options
    Yes, the remote read on the Maverick is nice.  The consistency is also amzing, mine always reads HHH or LLL.      >:P

I have been through three sets of probes in less than year, and two receiver/transmitter combos and it still sucks.  Now, they want me to return the until for testing....aint going to happen.

I hate Maverick, period.
    Flowery Branch, GA  LBGE
  • stlcharcoal
    edited November 2013
    Options
    Yes, the remote read on the Maverick is nice.  The consistency is also amzing, mine always reads HHH or LLL.      >:P

I have been through three sets of probes in less than year, and two receiver/transmitter combos and it still sucks.  Now, they want me to return the until for testing....aint going to happen.

I hate Maverick, period.

Why won't you return it for testing?  It's not like it's doing you any good right now.......what do you have to lose?  Give them a chance to fix the thing or ask for your money back.
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options

I hate Maverick, period.

Not so fast, my friend!

I had trouble with my ET-732 well after the warranty period (which is ridiculously short).  It wouldn't give me readings that were any where near accurate.  When I called, they asked me to send it in for "checkout".  I did so, and in about 2 weeks or so, I had a new one in my mail box!  The new one works like a champ!

Give it a try.

John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    Options

I hate Maverick, period.
    I'm on my third set of probes too, although its been 2 or 3 years now.  I also hate that I have to find the instruction sheet every time I want to program it, its not intuitive at all.  They're cheaply made.
    On the other hand, it'll wake me up if the fire goes out in the middle of the night, and I really need that feature.  I'll just keep limping along with the ET until Thermoworks releases a wireless/wifi model.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• KennyLee
    KennyLee Posts: 806
    edited November 2013
    Options
    I burned out a probe on my Maverick early on when I did a turbo brisket on a cheap smoker at the cabin.  I gave them a call and they sent me a new one for free.  Been wrapping the probes in foil ever since with no issues.  I'm very happy with it, especially for the money. 

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

• 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Options
    I have the MTC and the TW 8060 because sometimes need to be mobile and use some other grill and all the probes are interchangeable. In addition, I have the Type K adapter so I can use them on my Stoker.
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    I have used the et-73 for  a few years and like it.   The tw8060 does not transmit the temp readings right? Nor is it a controller? If i had to go out to the cooker to check the temp all the time,  I may as well just hang out there. For the price of the tw8060, I  would be more interested in a controller. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • laserdoc85
    Options
    Found the new maverick et 733 for 79.99 with free shipping. They also have new waterproof  probes built here in the USA that are suppose to be the answer to the bad probe syndrome that mavericks are prone to. Two for 25. Total is 105.00. I'm not real concern about the remote function . Am I better off for another 20 bucks to get the tw8060
    Jefferson .GA.  
    Been egging since 1985 on a medium egg
  • Hoov
    Options
    New probes? Can you post a link?
    - Norman, OK
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Once I replaced the original Maverick probes with the new high heat ones on Amazon I haven't had any issues. The only thing I don't like is the new probes leads are 6' long and a pain to deal with

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Mike_the_BBQ_Fanatic
    edited November 2013
    Options
    I have the bge version of the et 73...only been using it for about 6 weeks, but its been good...I burned up one probe but it was all my fault...

Mine has one design flaw in that you have to take off the clip and battery door to access the power switch on the transmitter...I hear that it was fixed in a later release...plus there was a mod that overcame it...still need to mod mine.

I also have a cyber q...but for overnight cooks I still use the maverick in conjunction to wake me up...because I cant get the alert funtion on the cyber q to work yet.

Here is the mod link...  again props @caliking

Making the neighbors jealous in Pleasant Hill, Ia one cook at a time...
  • laserdoc85
    Options
  • laserdoc85
    Options
    Woke up thinking about my question from last night
    If I get a digi-Q  and that comes with the food probe and the pit probe. Do I really need a TW8060 
    (Which really looks nice and well made) or the maverick ? I'm not concern with the remote features of the maverick. The digi-Q already sounds off when the meat is done and I plan on getting a thermapen.

Here is the list of which ones to get ??
    Maverick 733 with the better probes??
    TW8060 ??
    Digi-Q ??
    Thermapen ??
    Thermapen
    Jefferson .GA.  
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    If you plan to get a digi-Q and you are not concerned with the remote features of the maverick then I would skip both the T8060 and the Maverick and just get the DigiQ.  You could always add a maverick later if you decide you want something by your bed while you do an over-nighter.  

I would go for the thermapen and the digi-Q.  

One other option is to get a cyber-Q or Stoker which have remote monitoring capability through your smartphone...but they are much more $$.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• laserdoc85
    Options
    If you plan to get a digi-Q and you are not concerned with the remote features of the maverick then I would skip both the T8060 and the Maverick and just get the DigiQ.  You could always add a maverick later if you decide you want something by your bed while you do an over-nighter.  

I would go for the thermapen and the digi-Q.  

One other option is to get a cyber-Q or Stoker which have remote monitoring capability through your smartphone...but they are much more $$.
    That's what I thought but wanted to be sure.
    Therapen and the Q it is
    Jefferson .GA.  
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Options
    caliking said:
    I have used the et-73 for  a few years and like it.   The tw8060 does not transmit the temp readings right? Nor is it a controller? If i had to go out to the cooker to check the temp all the time,  I may as well just hang out there. For the price of the tw8060, I  would be more interested in a controller. 

The TW 8060 transmits temps via a wire. I have a Stoker for wireless. I find the TW8060 setup extremely convenient when I'm cooking at a location other than my place using an unfamiliar grill. Or, when I don't want to pull out all my Stoker stuff. No power required and it uses the same probes I already had. That is all I was trying to point out.
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    I just picked up a mav 732 from amazon. I would have bought the Thermoworks but needed the wireless technology Thought about the 733 but the additional features look like bling, at least too me.
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • SeeingSpots
    Options

I hate Maverick, period.

Why won't you return it for testing?  It's not like it's doing you any good right now.......what do you have to lose?  Give them a chance to fix the thing or ask for your money back.
    Time & Trouble, Shipping & Handling.
    Flowery Branch, GA  LBGE
  • stlcharcoal
    Options

I hate Maverick, period.

Time & Trouble, Shipping & Handling.

You took the time & trouble to type all of that out.......could of used that same amount of time here to report the problem or throw it in a box.   http://www.maverickhousewares.com/parts_and_service.htm 

As a fellow manufacturer and a business owner, it troubles us when we have an upset customer that will not even give us a chance to rectify the situation.  They'll take the passive aggressive route, getting on public forums to complain & leave negative reviews/feedback--but won't talk with us directly.  Totally unfair.

Send it back and give them a chance......or throw the thing away and stop complaining about it.  You are entitled to voice your opinion about the product, but not to inflict unfair punishment upon the manufacturer--which is what you are doing here.