Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Electric Smoker Question?

Options
I have a friend that has had a electric smoker for 3 years and has never used it and he decided to smoke a 8 pound Pork Butt and he has ask me how he should cook it, I told him to buy me a bag of lump and I would do it on my egg but he didn't buy that and is putting it on tomorrow night for a Sunday dinner. I told him to cook it at 250 and to count on 2 hrs a pound, does that sound about right? Any thoughts
Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE

Comments

• Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    More like 1 to 1.5 hrs per pound, I think. I cook mine to about 203 IT. A 9 pounder takes about 12-14 hrs at around 250 dome.
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • Mike_the_BBQ_Fanatic
    Options
    I used an electric before seeing the light...I did a 11 lb at 250...took about 20 hours to hit 203...and the stall was horrendus...didnt ftc...
    Making the neighbors jealous in Pleasant Hill, Ia one cook at a time...
  • Gogogordy
    Options
    Is it an adjustable temp style electric?  My Luhr Jenson won't even hit 250 degrees...
    It's a different animal but do-able, adding more slow, for more low.
    When I'm not Eggin', I'm scootin'   Eggin' and 'cueing from Temecula Ca; an hour from San Diego, an hour and five minutes from Palm Springs, and an hour and a half from Los Angeles (yeah, right. With THAT traffic?)
  • Grillmagic
    Grillmagic Posts: 1,600
    Options
    Gogogordy said:
    Is it an adjustable temp style electric?  My Luhr Jenson won't even hit 250 degrees...
    It's a different animal but do-able, adding more slow, for more low.

Hey Gordy, it is a adjustable temp electric smoker and he says it will go to 250. There's a lot of pressure on him to get close to the last one I did on BGE.
    Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE
  • twlangan
    twlangan Posts: 307
    Options
    If his unit is a cheap electric smoker like I had before getting my Egg, the only way he will get it to 250 is to cook in the middle of the Sahara on a HOT day, with NO wind or even a slight breeze (don't even fart within 100 yards of it), and have it wrapped in a blanket.  ;)
  • radamo
    radamo Posts: 373
    Options
    I had a Bradley before getting an EGG and it got to about 230 - 240.  Pork butts always depend on the piece but I would est. 1.5 to 2 hours a pound.  
    Long Island, NY