Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

dollar bill trick when replacing the gasket

Options
Ok,,when I close the lid with a bill on top of the gasket I cannot pull it out. I know then my seal is good. I have about a 6 inch section to the left of the handle that I can pull the bill out. Do I loosen the band and push down on the dome around this section or should I leave well enough alone since it is a small section about 6 inches
Jefferson .GA.  
Been egging since 1985 on a medium egg

Comments

• Little Steven
    Options
    You Americans are so cruel. Canadians don't have a dollar bill. We have Loonies and  Twonies and five dollar bills but there is no way we are wasting a fiver to check egg seals

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Letz4wheel
    Options
    LS please keep your Loonies and such to your self. We get that crap down here and it fouls up the system. Throws the little old McDonalds ladies into a tizzy!
    Southern Indiana
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Options
    Yes, loosen and try again. Don't sweat it though as you will be fine either way.
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    Personally I would not sweat 6" of not as tight. In time any leakage at that area will actually be filled with escaping creosote. OTOH if it really bugs you, just take a putty knife in that area and break the bond between the Rutland and the Permatex and spread more Permatex to build it up - just don't build it to high or the remainder won't set.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Options
    What's a gasket?

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• laserdoc85
    Options
    OK thanks, guess I will leave it alone and see if the creosote seals it up
    Jefferson .GA.  
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    besides that this thing is called a smoker so if it leaks for a while then so what! BTW I tried to send you a PM but guess you didn't read it, heed it or whatever! I just might know what I'm talking about after having sold 961 Rutland gaskets during the last 11 years as a non-profit service to fellow eggers.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • laserdoc85
    Options
    RRP said:
    besides that this thing is called a smoker so if it leaks for a while then so what! BTW I tried to send you a PM but guess you didn't read it, heed it or whatever! I just might know what I'm talking about after having sold 961 Rutland gaskets during the last 11 years as a non-profit service to fellow eggers.
    Nope never got a pm from you
    Jefferson .GA.