Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s almost football season, so we’re perfecting our favorite tailgating and homegating recipes! Whether you like hamburgers, wings, brats, ribs or something cooked with beer, we have everything you’ll need for the perfect tailgate party. We always like inviting friends to join our tailgates because the EGG is about community and having fun, so make sure if you’re inviting company you make extra - the food will be gone before you know it! Don't forget dessert, either!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

dollar bill trick when replacing the gasket

Ok,,when I close the lid with a bill on top of the gasket I cannot pull it out. I know then my seal is good. I have about a 6 inch section to the left of the handle that I can pull the bill out. Do I loosen the band and push down on the dome around this section or should I leave well enough alone since it is a small section about 6 inches
Jefferson .GA.  
Been egging since 1985 on a medium egg

Comments

• You Americans are so cruel. Canadians don't have a dollar bill. We have Loonies and  Twonies and five dollar bills but there is no way we are wasting a fiver to check egg seals

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• LS please keep your Loonies and such to your self. We get that crap down here and it fouls up the system. Throws the little old McDonalds ladies into a tizzy!
    Southern Indiana
  • 4Runner4Runner Posts: 2,093
    Yes, loosen and try again. Don't sweat it though as you will be fine either way.
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • RRPRRP Posts: 16,111
    Personally I would not sweat 6" of not as tight. In time any leakage at that area will actually be filled with escaping creosote. OTOH if it really bugs you, just take a putty knife in that area and break the bond between the Rutland and the Permatex and spread more Permatex to build it up - just don't build it to high or the remainder won't set.
    Ron
    Dunlap, IL
  • What's a gasket?
    Pasquali Luciano
    Buon appetito to all the BGE family
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE and lots of toys

• OK thanks, guess I will leave it alone and see if the creosote seals it up
    Jefferson .GA.  
  • RRPRRP Posts: 16,111
    OK thanks, guess I will leave it alone and see if the creosote seals it up
    besides that this thing is called a smoker so if it leaks for a while then so what! BTW I tried to send you a PM but guess you didn't read it, heed it or whatever! I just might know what I'm talking about after having sold 961 Rutland gaskets during the last 11 years as a non-profit service to fellow eggers.
    Ron
    Dunlap, IL
  • RRP said:
    OK thanks, guess I will leave it alone and see if the creosote seals it up
    besides that this thing is called a smoker so if it leaks for a while then so what! BTW I tried to send you a PM but guess you didn't read it, heed it or whatever! I just might know what I'm talking about after having sold 961 Rutland gaskets during the last 11 years as a non-profit service to fellow eggers.
    Nope never got a pm from you
    Jefferson .GA.