Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sous Vide Tri-tip

Options
Aquacop
Aquacop Posts: 481
edited November 2013 in EggHead Forum
Was wondering if anyone has used this method for the tri-tip and wouldn't mind sharing a recipe. I have a great cut that I wanna cook soon. 

Cheers 
LBGE 2013 Located in Savannah, Georgia

Comments

• jtippers
    jtippers Posts: 512
    Options
    I had a lot of luck with a recipe a couple of weeks ago... Here is the thread:

http://www.eggheadforum.com/discussion/1158614/tri-tip-success-w-pics#latest
    SBGE December 2012 •  XLBGE December 2013 •  Yoder YS640 July

• jtippers
    Options
    Oh... Duh. Never mind, you said sous vide. This was reverse seared. My bad... :\">

• Aquacop
    Options
    @jtippers Thanks anyway!
  • Aquacop
    Options
    @jtippers in case I don't get a good recipe for sous vide, what was the rub you used on the reverse sear?
  • jtippers
    Options

Santa Maria Dry Rub:

4 garlic cloves finely minced (almost puree)

1/4 cup packed light brown sugar

1 Tbsp Kosher Salt

2 tsp Cumin

2 tsp Smoked Paprika

2 tsp Chili Powder

2 tsp Black Pepper (freshly cracked)

3/4 tsp Cayenne

I mixed all of the above and rubbed evenly.

• NibbleMeThis
    Options
    I haven't done one but I bought a bag of 6 tri-tips at Costco.  I have done one raised direct and one reverse sear.  I am planning on doing one sous vide this Saturday.  Will let you know how it turns out. 
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • Little Steven
    Options
    I have a small bottom round in the sous vide from last night for Friday dinner. Tri tip would be awesome I think.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• allsid
    allsid Posts: 492
    Options
    I wonder about length of time on a try tip for it to be tender.  I am guessing a 130-135 based on preference, but it would be fun to make it so tender you can cut it with your mind-

Proud resident of Missoula, MT
    https://www.facebook.com/GrillingMontana
    http://grillingmontana.com
    https://instagram.com/grillingmontana

Check out my book on Kamado cooking called Exclusively Kamado:
    http://bit.ly/kamadobook

• Aquacop
    Options
    @allsid that's the big question, I'm not sure how long to leave it in the bath.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    I have done them and am not a fan. I like to put mine in at 108 for about an hour and a half then sear for a minute or 2 per side then indirect to 128 degrees. We cook lots of tri tips and to me they taste better with a little more time on the grill.
  • ChuckChampion
    Options
    @allsid that would be one tender tri tip.  This makes me want to get a costco card so I can try this cut of meat myself.  No one else in my area sells them.
  • allsid
    allsid Posts: 492
    Options
    @allsid that would be one tender tri tip.  This makes me want to get a costco card so I can try this cut of meat myself.  No one else in my area sells them.
    I am a big fan of costco.  Well worth the investment-  Not new news.
    Proud resident of Missoula, MT
    https://www.facebook.com/GrillingMontana
    http://grillingmontana.com
    https://instagram.com/grillingmontana

Check out my book on Kamado cooking called Exclusively Kamado:
    http://bit.ly/kamadobook

• Aquacop
    Options
    So I guess no one has tried Sous Vide with a Tri-tip, guess a simple rub and the grill is in order!

Cheers
  • Lit
    Options
    I have done them. Not a fan of tri tip or steaks in the sous vide. I should say not a fan of traditional steak cuts like rib eyes. Skirt steak and flank steak were really good but those stay in several days.
  • rcone
    rcone Posts: 219
    edited November 2013
    Options
    I did it last week, three hours at 127 and then a five minute dep fry. I would scale the frying time back 60 or 90 seconds. Though the results were outstanding.
    "Feed me, or feed me to something; I just want to be part of the food chain" Al Bundy

LBGE, SBGE, Carson Rotisserie, Blackstone Griddle  

Milwaukee, Wisconsin 
  • Lit
    Options
    Wow fried tri tip. Have to say that looks really good. Maybe cold smoke it prior to the sous vide? Might have to try this.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    we did a SV med rare chicken fried ribeye on here a while back. It was awesome. pretty strange to cut in to a CFS and have it be bright pink wall to wall
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    Options
    allsid said:
    I am a big fan of costco.  Well worth the investment-  Not new news.
    You should be able to get a free membership there for like a week if you ask.

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• rcone
    rcone Posts: 219
    Options
    Next time I am going to definitely marinate or do something other then a rub. It turned out to be an incredibly tender piece of meat.
    "Feed me, or feed me to something; I just want to be part of the food chain" Al Bundy

LBGE, SBGE, Carson Rotisserie, Blackstone Griddle  

Milwaukee, Wisconsin 
  • Aquacop
    Options
    @rcone I concur - learned about Tri tip on this forum and love it!
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    @rcone- deep fried steak...you got my attention!  That looks awesome.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• BREWnQ
    BREWnQ Posts: 219
    Options
    I'm sold.  Going to try it this weekend.  How long did you SV? How hot was the fryer?
    Brewer, BBQer, Softballer, RCer, Father, HomeTheaterer, and trouble maker.
    Orange, CA
  • billybon
    billybon Posts: 213
    Options
    I like to deep fry brisket. Start with a packer cut and trim off practically all of the fat and separate the two muscles. cold smoke the trimmed pieces before cooking SV for 3 days. I render the fat trimmings and use it to fry the SV'd brisket just before serving.
  • jtippers
    Options
    Wow... That sounds great too! What temp do you cook the brisket at in the sous vide bath?

• billybon
    billybon Posts: 213
    Options
    Last time SV was set at 137F
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    This is turning out to be a really interesting thread. Thanks for all of the ideas!

Lit said:
    I have done them. Not a fan of tri tip or steaks in the sous vide. I should say not a fan of traditional steak cuts like rib eyes. Skirt steak and flank steak were really good but those stay in several days.
    Could you share details about the skirt or flank steak?

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Deckhand
    Deckhand Posts: 318
    Options
    Sous Vide/sear is my favorite way to do tri-tip.  Overnight at 122° in the water oven (No, it won't make you sick) then 1-2 min. per side (depending on fire temp).  I have gone 72 hrs in the Sous Vide Supreme but the meat was mushy... 24 hrs. is OK, though.   Like Simply Marvelous "Peppered Cow" rub but you have to be careful if you sear with a hot fire... Anything except salt will burn and become bitter.
  • Lit
    Options
    caliking said:
    This is turning out to be a really interesting thread. Thanks for all of the ideas!

Lit said:
    Could you share details about the skirt or flank steak?
    I just season them with whatever rub I feel like then put them in the sous vide at 132. I try to go atleast 48 hours and have gone up to 72. I lightly reseason when I take them out then a quick sear and thats it. They come out so tender you can barely tell you are cutting them. When I am doing them for fajitas I have started puting the onions and peppers in the sous vide bags with the skirt steaks and then throwing them in a skillet while I sear the steaks.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,970
    edited November 2013
    Options
    Deckhand said:
    Sous Vide/sear is my favorite way to do tri-tip.  Overnight at 122° in the water oven (No, it won't make you sick) then 1-2 min. per side (depending on fire temp).  I have gone 72 hrs in the Sous Vide Supreme but the meat was mushy... 24 hrs. is OK, though.   Like Simply Marvelous "Peppered Cow" rub but you have to be careful if you sear with a hot fire... Anything except salt will burn and become bitter.
    Yes- it will absolutely make you sick. It may not have made you sick(yet)  but this is well outside the safety guidelines for SV cooking. You are playing with serious fire at those times and temps. If you are going over 4 hours, the minimum safe temp for beef is 132 (depending on the thickness and if you want it pasteurized to the core or just the outside). Pasteurization BEGINS at 130. If you are cooking anywhere below 130 for over 4 hours, you will eventually gamble and lose.  If you get the right bad guys on your meat, 122 overnight inside a moist bag is the perfect breeding ground for a very bad few days for you and your loved ones. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX