Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

TGIF- What's cookin this weekend?

bbqwizard
bbqwizard Posts: 119
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Mornin All! I put a fresh picnic on this morning. And by fresh i mean fresh. On Wed. night I went to my butcher and asked if he had any picnic's around with the skin still intact (this is because all he had in the case were skinless). He went to the back to be sure but there weren't any. So, he told me to come back in the morning (Thurs.) at around 10 and he would have fresh. I did, and when I got there he told me to come around to the cooler. When I got back there, I saw (i would say) eight hogs hanging. And, I got to choose which carcass I wanted it cut from:D Anyway, I thought that was cool. [p]I'm not sure what the rest of my foods will consist of this weekend. I hope you all have a fun smoke-filled weekend.[p]phillip

Comments

• Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    bbqwizard,
    Cool. I would like to see meat on the hook and just point to the cut I wanted like in the old days. Any sawdust on the floor? Na, they don't allow that anymore.
    Picking up two butts and an a dozen of the worlds best brat's today. You know what that means-pulled pork this weekend. Today, thinking about what wood to smoke with and how much of my Black Bear BBQ sauce to make up. I know I'm crazy but I enjoy every minute of it.
    Clay Smokin

• Clay Q,[p]Howdy Clay, I just searched the archive for this black bear bbq sauce and was asked if I meant to say black bean...LOL[p]Anyway, I could not find a recipe for it. Is this something you have posted before, Or do I ned to order a bottle from you?[p]E

• bbqwizard
    Clay Q,[p]There's nothng crazy about that in my book. I do it ALL the time and wouldn't trade a moment of it. [p]Now, about these brats......Sounds good! I use to get some at a place in Lake Geneva WI called "The Cheese Box". That and 5 year aged cheddar. Okay, not i want some:P[p]phillip

• bbqwizard,
    That is awesome Phillip! You have a great butcher. [p]I have been trying new methods of cooking briskets lately. Last weekend I did what I call a 4x4x4 method. I cooked a brisket at 400° F for 4 hours (internal temp 185) and let it rest for 4 hours. It was awesome, tender, juicy and flavorful! This weekend I am going to do some more testing. Nothing is more fun than experimenting, then eating the results! Hoo hoo hoo ha ha ha[p]BBQ Bob

• Gretl
    Gretl Posts: 670
    bbqwizard,
    Pulled pork for me also. Two 7-pound bone-in shoulders ready to go for Saturday. Ribs on Sunday, and some nice hot Italian sausages to add to some sauteed poblano peppers and onions to make some spicy pasta sauce for next week.
    Happy Egging...
    G.

• bbqwizard
    BBQ Bob Trudnak,[p]Now that's the ticket! I seem to be cooking a lot of pork lately. I've been testing a lot of various new seasoning tecniques and glaze combinations. [p]phillip

• dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    bbqwizard,
    As below two butts on. Talked to the wife and she said to quit worrying. Last time I did PP the temp dropped on me too. Doing some meatless ABTs for dinner and some with chopped PP Saturday, not sure for Saturday but I'm thinking pizzas and of course the ABT's.[p]

• jake42
    jake42 Posts: 932
    bbqwizard,
    Trying my hand at top sirloin steaks thanks to the forum advice. Also get to watch the Chiefs under the Friday Night Lights so gonna' do some wings for the game tonight. Price Chopper has briket on sale. I figure I'll light up the large around game time or a little later get it stabalized, put the brisket on and sleep off the game cocktails.

• EddieMac
    EddieMac Posts: 423
    Right now I'm getting ready to throw up some plywood on the western exposure of my home while we're waiting for Hurricane Wilma to make up her mind.......And at about 10 p.m. tonite I'm going to throw on 2 or 3 Butts for a Low-N-Slow.....no need to be hungry while waiting for a hurricane!!!! Forecasters say Wilma will likely be a Category 1 storm by the time she makes it over our way....if she ever does....and I'm thinking she will.....[p]So...that's what's cooking this weekend in Fort Pierce, Florida......[p]Big Ed

• BeerButtChicken002.jpg
    <p />Just put on a Beer Can Chicken to be used in a chicken pot pie for tonight. Chicken enjoying this beautiful New England fall morning before I closed the lid. Had our first frost this morning, brrr.[p]Will be cooking a pork butt overnight tonight and will try cooking a flat portion of brisket using Dr. BBQs "Shortcut Brisket Recipe". Anyone try this recipe yet? I don't believe I have ever had brisket before so I don't know what to expect. Mom and Dad weren't BBQers I guess, never exposed to it as a child.[p]I will also be making Brunswick stew with the leftover chicken, pork, and brisket for the first time using the BGE posted recipe. I guess this would be a great time to also try some baked apples since it's that time of year in MA when apples are awesome.
  • bbqwizard,[p]Pork sirloin tip roast tonight. I'm going to T-rex it after injecting it with beer or apple juice/vinigar combo. Pastrami overnight, beef jerky Sunday morning. Chicken pot pie Sunday dinner.[p]Ed
  • Hopefully, I am going to do a test run on a turkey for Thanksgiving. I have done turkey's on the Weber, but not the Egg (just got it this summer). Going to use the John Ash brine (thank you John, whoever you are!). Wish me luck!
  • Lawn Ranger
    Lawn Ranger Posts: 5,467
    tt.jpg
    <p />bbqwizard,
    I think I may go the meatloaf route while hoping that my Red Raiders aren't made into same.[p]Mike

• BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    bbqwizard,
    Gonna do a big ol' leg o' lamb ala Q-Babe for company. To be served with orzo, Egg-roasted beets and dessert TBA.[p]Good Eggin'[p]Ken

• I'll make some bratwurst for tonight, smoked duck for saturday night & burgers on sunday night.
    Brunswick stew sounds also very tempting, we'll see how i feel
    all i know it's WEEKEND :woohoo:
  • now that sounds good , i'll be over ;) .
  • FatDog
    FatDog Posts: 164
    bbqwizard,
    Saturday looks like a good time to have some friends over and do some pork ribs and Sunday is likely to be some beer butt game hens. I have discovered that using the small cans that "energy drinks" come in works very well for the small birds. I'll be doing about 6 of those in the large while I have a pot of Brunswick stew going on the small.[p]

• bbqwizard,
    Well, it's a nasty weekend here in Louisville, think I'll just go to McD's, or Captain D's.

• bbqwizard,[p]Beer butt chicken. 2 of 'em.[p]Roll Tide[p]
  • TideJoe,[p]Don't you mean War Eagle, Joe?[p]
  • bbqwizard,
    Something different: cheese and spinach canneloni, baked in the egg. With just the faintest whiff of smoke.

• ttbq
    ttbq Posts: 39
    bbqwizard,
    Just hit Costco on the way home - trying some tri-tip steaks for the first time tonight, may do an overnight butt tomorrow and finish off with some babyback action on Sunday.[p]Have a great weekend everybody.[p]Ted

• Marvin
    Marvin Posts: 515
    bbqwizard,
    Just finished slicing a double smoked ham. These aren't your standard hams. They are from "organic" raised pigs (small ones), and the hams (actually 2-4 lb pieces) are smoked at low temps for a long time, but they are not brined or cured. I put on a paste of Dijon mustard, tamarind paste, dark molasses and brown sugar for an hour or so and then resmoked them at 210-220 with hickory until the internal temp is 160. Very tasty!

• Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Eggecutioner,
    I'm workin on a sauce for hungry bears like myself. Needs tweeking and further eggsperimentation before it's ready to post recipe- I'll let you know, my friend.
    Hungry as a Black Bear,
    Clay

• Dos Huevos,[p]War Beagle.....[p]LOL

• TideJoe,[p]Nope. That goes for the team in athens or starkville...
  • Badger
    Badger Posts: 15
    ttbq,
    Enjoy those tri-tips, I did one last night and can't wait to eat the leftovers with my eggs tomorrow morning. Tonight was stuffed green peppers. BTW, I do my tri-tips at 300 for about 45 minutes, ends up wonderfully pink and rich - an alternative to searing that I usually employ with this cut of beef.[p]Ted Too

• bbqwizard, Saturday I am fixing up some special burgers.
    They are a mix of 1/3 ground sirloin, 1/3 ground chuck, and 1/3
    ground italian sausage. Also mixed in is small 1/4" diced ham, with
    fresh bacon bits and small 1/4" diced onion. Mix em all together and
    then into a nice patty bout 3/4" thick. I use soaked mesquite
    chips for these. They dont cook long enough for chunks.These will be served just about game time for the world series. GO SOX!!!

• DTM
    DTM Posts: 127
    Yo Clay Q,
    As child I sat on a stool behind the meat counter and watched my grandfather break down aged, heavy sides. At least four inches of sawdust on the floor as I recall. Prob less and not as I remember but it is a wonderful memory.
    Thx for the deja.....thing.
    Regards
    DTM