Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

ABT'S Question

I made my 1st batch last night and they were great but I made them in a tin pan ,not sure if that is the right approach how do you guys do them in pan or direct on the grill ?image
2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
Long Island N.Y.

Comments

• I do them raised indirect with a spaced drip pan.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    I do mine indirect using my foil covered PS inverted and then the ABTs resting on the grate. That way the smoke gets to them 360 degrees!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    I usually do them indirect as well.  

I have thought about trying them in a pan because it is certainly easier.  I would think they might not turn out as crispy because the grease can't drip away.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    raised indirect 350 drip pan

Garnerville, NY
  • I actually low & slow mine for about 2 hrs at 250 dome on the grate w/ a drip pan. They turn out great. I would think a pan would keep the bottom of the bacon from crisping as well since theyed be sitting in their own grease.
  • +3 raised, indirect, drip pan but 325 for me
    In the  Hinterlands between Cumming and Gainesville, GA
    Med BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe, Brinkman Dual Zone, Weber Genesis Gas Grill and portable gasser for boating
  • I did mine indirect as well but like the photo shows I did in a pan and yes they were swiming in the bacon fat about 1/2 way thru I took off egg and drained out the bacon fat but still I think next time I will go direct on the grill with the plate setter as I did before but no tin pan  
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Raised indirect for me as well with spaced drip pan.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    I have gone back and forth between raised direct and indirect (not in a pan).  Lately, I am in the indirect camp, placing the ABT's right on the grate.  Takes around 50-60 mins at about 350*F on the dome for the bacon to be cooked.  YMMV-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • I did mine indirect as well but like the photo shows I did in a pan and yes they were swiming in the bacon fat about 1/2 way thru I took off egg and drained out the bacon fat but still I think next time I will go direct on the grill with the plate setter as I did before but no tin pan  

Use the pan but put it on the platesetter on some spacers. It'll get pretty smoky if you don't

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Little Steven thank you I will do that like I said it was my1st go around with ABT'S I wasn't disappointed but I thought that they could come better going to try again direct on grill  with pan on plate setter 
    Long Island N.Y.
  • yogi84
    yogi84 Posts: 189
    I have done them both ways but i use a wire cooling rack so the grease drips away...
  • both ways work, give them both a shot and see what you think, they are delicious.
    Large, small, and a mini
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    I do mine raised direct about 375-400.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    I keep them whole and core them then stuff them and drape a piece of bacon over top. I use a pepper rack. Have done them raised direct at 375*, indirect at 250*, basically however I have it setup for the main course. They all turn out great, just keep them on til the bacon is crispy.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker