Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s almost football season, so we’re perfecting our favorite tailgating and homegating recipes! Whether you like hamburgers, wings, brats, ribs or something cooked with beer, we have everything you’ll need for the perfect tailgate party. We always like inviting friends to join our tailgates because the EGG is about community and having fun, so make sure if you’re inviting company you make extra - the food will be gone before you know it! Don't forget dessert, either!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Heritage Turkey - Advice/Recommendations welcome

I've been tasked with making the bird again this Thanksgiving.  (pro-tip: if you don't ever want to host Thanksgiving and/or be responsible for the bird, don't ever make turkey on the egg for anyone)

I've always had stellar results doing the basic Mad Max Turkey using regular store bought run-of-the-mill turkeys.

This year, I've decided to step it up a bit and have placed an order for a Heritage turkey.

I plan on doing an herb brine, but am unsure of any other steps that I should be taking that may be out of the norm.

Any advice/recommendations from my fellow eggheads would be greatly appreciated.

Happy Turkey Day.

BGE in the ATX

Comments

• EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 11,538
    You just stepped into my wheelhouse. Do Rulman's poultry brine for 24 hours. Rinse well and leave uncovered for 24 hours in the fridge.

Then, follow the mad max method for the cook. Use a little cherry wood for color. A little pecan for flavor, or apple if none available(just 1-2 chunks).

I get Narragansett turkeys(heritage) from a local farm and it is a million times better than the large breasted hybrids found at the grocer. I have done this the past 4 years and will never ever go back.
  • You just stepped into my wheelhouse. Do Rulman's poultry brine for 24 hours. Rinse well and leave uncovered for 24 hours in the fridge. Then, follow the mad max method for the cook. Use a little cherry wood for color. A little pecan for flavor, or apple if none available(just 1-2 chunks). I get Narragansett turkeys(heritage) from a local farm and it is a million times better than the large breasted hybrids found at the grocer. I have done this the past 4 years and will never ever go back.
    Thank you kindly sir.  I am definitely looking forward to trying this.
    BGE in the ATX
  • Thievery said:
    You just stepped into my wheelhouse. Do Rulman's poultry brine for 24 hours. Rinse well and leave uncovered for 24 hours in the fridge. Then, follow the mad max method for the cook. Use a little cherry wood for color. A little pecan for flavor, or apple if none available(just 1-2 chunks). I get Narragansett turkeys(heritage) from a local farm and it is a million times better than the large breasted hybrids found at the grocer. I have done this the past 4 years and will never ever go back.
    Thank you kindly sir.  I am definitely looking forward to trying this.
    You don't have to call @eggcelsior sir. He prefers Sahib, Master or Oracle

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 11,538
    I prefer Kazaam