Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Adjustable Rig Owners - Question

Options
I'm considering getting the adjustable rig for the holidays.  I've leaning toward the R&B combo along with an Extender combo and an added oval grid (the set up from the "bunch of chickens" video).  I've got no doubt this set up will kill when it comes to things like brisket and ribs or very large quantity cooks.  My question is about how it performs on less lavish cooks.  If I'm just doing a small amount of steak or fish or chicken skewers or something, the standard BGE grid works just fine.  Is there any added benefit to having the adjustable rig for those kinds of relatively simple cooks?  I'm assuming one advantage would be being able to cook veggies and sides at the same time (given the extra space).  But what do you all think?  Is it an improvement over the normal grid for a standard steak or chicken cook?
Southern California

Comments

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    edited November 2013
    Options
    It pulls out really easily. If you get the mini woo(?) with it and a medium grid you gam sear on the coals and roast high in the dome. Sorry it's the spider

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    Options
    Mine almost never leaves my LBGE , and I only cook for one person. FWIW

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    it's great. I use it on 95% of my cooks. It raises the grid for basic cooks like chicken and with a spider and small CI Grid you can reverse sear steaks right at the lump with ease. I have the exact setup you are talking about and I use it virtually every cook in some way.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,740
    Options
    just cooking high in the dome beats the standard grid at the standard hieght on most cooks, the only time i cook down low is for searing. most of my cooks are done direct, high in the dome
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    pizza cooks on the extender too. I use it for everything

• CANMAN1976
    CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,593
    Options
    As Nike says" just do it" Get it...it does everything well!!!!
    Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).
  • bicktrav
    bicktrav Posts: 640
    Options
    Awesome.  Does the spider come with the rig or does that have to be purchased in addition?
    Southern California
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    bicktrav said:
    Awesome.  Does the spider come with the rig or does that have to be purchased in addition?
    it's extra but only like $30 or something. Then go get a small cat iron from your egg shop. I just leave all that in under the rig.
  • Kruegs
    Kruegs Posts: 128
    Options
    Once I got mine I never used the platesetter or the traditional grid.  The extender was really nice to be able to get things really high in the dome!
    XL BGE; CyberQ Wifi; Adjustable Rig, Woo2 Green Bay, Wisconsin
  • KingtUT
    KingtUT Posts: 157
    Options
    My chicken wings turned out better the day I put them on the raised grid.  So easy and juicy.   Thighs the same way.  You wont regret the purchase if you make it.  Ive only had mine a few weeks and its just fun to use and it gives you so many options.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    bicktrav said:
    it's extra but only like $30 or something. Then go get a small cat iron from your egg shop. I just leave all that in under the rig.
    Cat Iron?

:D
  • plumbfir01
    plumbfir01 Posts: 725
    edited November 2013
    Options
    The one single thing I use more then the AR is charcoal....  glad i bought it
    Beaufort, SC
  • Little Steven
    Options

The charcoal? I daresay it would help you get way more use out of the egg.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• plumbfir01
    Options

The charcoal? I daresay it would help you get way more use out of the egg.
    Lol smarty pants
    Beaufort, SC
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    edited November 2013
    Options
    Extender with sliding d combo will probably be the next purchase. I need a 3rd level with the oval stone. You'll love the ar. Used about every cook.
    Dunedin, FL
  • gte1
    gte1 Posts: 379
    Options
    As said above, you will pretty much use it all the time.  I find that I have far greater control cooking raised that at the normal grid height.  Food cooks much more evenly and the only time you will char something up is when you want to.
    George
  • bicktrav
    bicktrav Posts: 640
    Options
    Awesome.  Thanks for all the help everyone.
    Southern California
  • daffy1909
    Options
    Does anyone have a pic of the adjustabl rig? :D
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    thanks to all for taking the time to answer questions about CGS products.  It's much appreciated.  I figure products reviews are best given by those who use the products than by the guy selling.  I am always happy to help or answer questions regarding particular set-ups or best fit scenarios.

t

www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Little Steven
    Options
    tjv said:
    thanks to all for taking the time to answer questions about CGS products.  It's much appreciated.  I figure products reviews are best given by those who use the products than by the guy selling.  I am always happy to help or answer questions regarding particular set-ups or best fit scenarios.

t

Congrats on getting the store open big guy

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• SickEyeDiaz
    Options
    They are nice. They open up a lot of possibilities. The spider is nice to have too.
    Here's just a couple examples of what you can do:

• jtippers
    jtippers Posts: 512
    Options
    Here is my plug... If my Large gets lit, it has the AR in it. Enjoy!
    SBGE December 2012 •  XLBGE December 2013 •  Yoder YS640 July

• txav8r
    txav8r Posts: 153
    Options
    Where is the stone in that rib and but pic jtippers?  With 3 levels, where do you put the stone? 

I like the R&B combo, along with the extender and additional oval grid.  The sliding D may be nice for a few cooks, but if your wanting to rotate grid position, you can't put the sliding D grid in the lower position...so two oval grids are good for that.  If you want to use the standard grid, it has to go on the bottom and the rig setting on top, because the diameter of the standard grid is too big to go higher in the dome.  But if you want a full circle without the oval, you will have to get a 13" dia grid as well.  I don't have that and don't see the need.  Doing chicken indirect, or CI DO cooks, the AR rig is much better for.  Plus, with the rig, you can pull the whole shooting match out, stone and all, to do a quick removal of the stone to do a reverse sear on something you cooked indirect if you like.  The larger oval stone with the R&B protects the egg from the overhang of ribs and the like much better than the PS.  I wasn't convinced I would like the AR after the first run with it, but I am seeing the benefit much more now having the extender with it too.  I don't like storing all that stuff in there however, and I still like the PS for DO cooks, but if you have a place to keep accessories, then it is no bother.
    Just far enough north of DFW to be "rural"...and close enough to be urban, depending on my mood.
  • jtippers
    jtippers Posts: 512
    edited November 2013
    Options
    It is sitting on the spider. Here is the thread I started showing my setup when it arrived from CGS:

Also, if you have questions, call them. They were really great at explaining the product and helping me get all the parts I was looking for. You will love the Rig!
    SBGE December 2012 •  XLBGE December 2013 •  Yoder YS640 July