Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turkey rub?

Hey Guys,.,,,,going to try my first turkey next week.....

what Rub do you guys recommend?.....I thought about the "Bad Barons Butt"????

Comments

• BBBR is way too salty for my taste.  I just slather the skin with butter and roast away, it has always been great.  I'm sure there is a Dizzy rub that will be recommended and will likely be excellent, but I prefer the subtle taste of the meat itself.  Poultry can easily be over powered by too strong rubs. 
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    @mickey has a coffee rub that is great. You can search for the recipe and find it.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275

Espresso-Cocoa Rub

Here's my recipe, sorta like Mickey's with a few more ingredients. We'll being using it on Turkey day.

1 Tbs. finely ground espresso coffee beans 
    1 Tbs. pure ancho chile powder 
    1 tsp. natural cocoa powder 
    1 tsp. granulated garlic 
    1/2 tsp. ground cumin 
    1/2 tsp. brown sugar 
    1/2 tsp. ground fennel seed 
    1/8 tsp. ground allspice 
    4 tsp. kosher salt 
    2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper 

Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    I like olive oil... And then liberal amounts of kosher salt, black pepper, and garlic salt
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Coffee Rub         (turkey, chicken, beef & pork)

Equal part: Instant Expresso Ground coffee

Equal part: Brown Sugar

½ part: Black Pepper

½ part: Kosher Salt

½ part: Garlic Powder

¾ part: Ancho Chili Powder

Don't worry on exact, just close on measurement. I used to use turbinado sugar but we like with brown better. This is pulled from  MollyShark, Hungry Man, & Richard In Fl then tweaked. I find the ancho chili powder is far less expensive in the bulk spice area than the bottled area ( have used both light or dark version). I make it starting with a half cup  Instant Expresso Ground coffee  and work from there as it seems to store well if sealed. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mickeys coffe rub tastes the best and it gives poultry an amazing color. Just do it.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    I think I'm just going with butter, kosher salt, and pepper this year. No rubs.
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • hummmm. is the Coffee rub spice?

leaning towards the Olive oil, salt , pepper, and garlic??

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Antifreeze... Great taste and glows in the dark.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • ok...I am a Green egg what to be......I have jsut a bullet smoker

you think I can get 2 turkeys on a bullet?
  • I've never tried coffee in any rub and am curious about the taste.  Does it just add color or does it actually impart a taste. 
    Fayetteville, Ga
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    henapple said:

Antifreeze... Great taste and glows in the dark.

Do you always poop with the lights off? Don't be ashamed, there's books for that.
  • BobsBGE said:

I've never tried coffee in any rub and am curious about the taste.  Does it just add color or does it actually impart a taste. 

Lots of taste but not like coffee. I experienced the same trepidation prior to trying it. It's nothing like you think.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    bells seasoning mixed with duck fat, frozen and shaved into slivers pushed up under the skin, then bells on top with room temp butter.

Recipe: Bell's Seasoning Copycat

©From the Kitchen of Deep South Dish
    Prep time: 5 min | Yield: About 1/2 cup

Ingredients
    • 4-1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
    • 4 teaspoon dried oregano
    • 3-3/4 teaspoon dried sage
    • 3-1/2 teaspoon ground dried ginger
    • 3 teaspoon dried marjoram
    • 2-3/4 teaspoon dried thyme
    • 3/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
    Instructions

Mix together and grind to fine powder using a coffee or spice grinder.

Bell's seasoning is great as a seasoning for meats and is excellent in meatloaf and burgers also, so you'll find lots of uses for this blend.

Makes about 1/2 cup

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    I've never tried coffee in any rub and am curious about the taste.  Does it just add color or does it actually impart a taste. 
    Lots of taste but not like coffee. I experienced the same trepidation prior to trying it. It's nothing like you think.
    I agree with Travis, do a test run, make a small batch and try on some chicken parts, steaks or pork chops. Whether you make mine or Mickey's, I think you'll enjoy the flavor.
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    I'm a huge fan of Mickey's coffee rub. But for poultry, I use Meathead's Simon and Garfunkel, I don't bother with the dried parsley. The key is to soak this in oil for a half hour of so before rubbing. 
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.