Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re so close to Thanksgiving that we can taste it and we’re ready to help you prepare the most delicious Thanksgiving feast you’ve ever cooked! Check out our Turkey Cheat Sheet for turkey tips, our Thanksgiving page for turkey recipes, and our Holiday Entertaining Publication for all other Thanksgiving needs to help you make this the best Thanksgiving yet! PS. Don’t forget about breakfast Thanksgiving morning either!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Turkey Mad Max style with stuffing?

Made a compromise with the wife, turkey on the egg, but she has to have stuffing inside. I was looking to do a 10 lb. or so. Wondering how to incorporate the stuffing. Will the stuffing cook all the way assuming 15 min ish per lb. Has anyone attempted this? Any comments or suggestions or receipes on stuffing would be appreciated.

• Richard FlRichard Fl Posts: 7,971
    I prefer to do the stuffing outside the bird as it has a BAD habit of absorbing tooo much smoke flavor.  The only eggception I make is when doing turducken and then I use no smoke.
  • This is what I do and it works well

First make a dark turkey stock (roasted backs and necks, wings and mirepoix) 
    Then fry sausage onions, celery, garlic and peppers 
    Herbs, pick 'em. I use thyme, rosemary, sage and parsley (didn't want to sound like Art Garfunkle by saying it the other way) 
    Chop the herbs and more garlic 
    Punch holes in an aluminum pan 
    Make some foil balls and place in another pan 
    Put some stock in the pan with the foil balls 
    Mix sausage, dry bread, veg and herbs in, moisten with some stock and clarified butter 
    Place a couple of turkey wings and necks on top 

Put the stuffing pan with the holes on the one with the stock and cover both pans with foil and bake for about three hours at 350* 
    Remove foil and cook till browned on top 

Caledon, ON

• fishlessmanfishlessman Posts: 17,990
    only way to keep the stuffing from becoming bitter