Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s almost football season, so we’re perfecting our favorite tailgating and homegating recipes! Whether you like hamburgers, wings, brats, ribs or something cooked with beer, we have everything you’ll need for the perfect tailgate party. We always like inviting friends to join our tailgates because the EGG is about community and having fun, so make sure if you’re inviting company you make extra - the food will be gone before you know it! Don't forget dessert, either!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Cold weather eggin

2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
Long Island N.Y.
image.jpg 1.9M

Comments

• Looks like it should work. I'm getting old and hate being cold!
    Nowhere Indiana
  • Love cold weather egging!!  Nothing like watching the neighbors jealously wonder what's coming off the cooker in this weather. 
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • @scottborasjr. I also love cold weather eggin but I like to be comfortable can't deal with the cold I'm gettin older now I would prefer to be cold rather then sweating my balls off
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • calikingcaliking Posts: 7,125
    Good idea.I've been thinking of buying an outdoor fireplace kind of thing or a chiminea - this might be better!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • hapsterhapster Posts: 7,164
    Love the egg on the cold. Can't wait to egg something during a snowstorm!
  • GK59GK59 Posts: 501
    High of 26* on Sunday here. Won't slow me down. More clothes ,more booze.

Smitty's Kid's BBQ

Bay City,MI

• jaydub58jaydub58 Posts: 1,767

We're gonna be in the high 30's-low 40's at cooking time tonight.  Not real cold, but brisk.

Got two fat turkey thighs (Thanksgiving preview) for the mini.   Yum!

:-c
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • robnybbqrobnybbq Posts: 1,815
    I hate the cold and it cuts into my egging and cigar enjoyment. I had a propane heater (stand up one like you see in restaurants) bu I broke and no more heater. Charles let me know how hat heater attachment works as I Need somehing to enjoy cigars over the winter.

Garnerville, NY
  • I have no choice but to egg in the cold...my kids play sports almost 24 / 7 when its nice out...if I didn't egg in the cold, I would only get 30-40 days in a year, and that friends is completely unacceptable.

Making the neighbors jealous in Pleasant Hill, Ia one cook at a time...
  • @robnybbq it works okay I mean I was sitting in a chair maybe 2 to 3 feet away and I was toasty but it really wasn't very cold maybe 35 degrees I just wanted to play with it and see how it worked I think I will be fine with it when it gets real cold
    Long Island N.Y.
  • DMWDMW Posts: 7,216
    I really like mine, and I have the single burner version. They are radiant heaters, so the heat is directional, keep that in mind. Just aim it to where you will be.
    My Facebook Place where I document my cooking
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - Hasty Bake Legacy - Black Stone Pizza Oven - Gasser - 30" Firepit w/SS Cooking Grid
  • EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 11,538
    Cold egging is the best. Especially Uncle Eddie style.

• SkiddymarkerSkiddymarker Posts: 7,186
    edited November 2013
    Very neat solution. And you can take the tank inside to warm it up. With my old gasser in Ontario, I had to warm the tanks and use a battery warmer to keep the propane flowing, otherwise everything was a low and slow. 

We are at 1ºC right now, my geraniums are really not happy. 
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
  • EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 11,538
    @skiddymarker, you should see my front yard. Pruning on Saturday morning, here I come.
  • KruegsKruegs Posts: 128

@caliking BGE makes a chimnea if you are leaning that direction...

http://appleton.craigslist.org/fod/4125556047.html

XL BGE; CyberQ Wifi; Adjustable Rig, Woo2 Green Bay, Wisconsin
  • hondabbqhondabbq Posts: 1,285
    That's cute.

Winnipeg, Manitoba.

Welcome to the wonderful world of Motley Brew.

• robnybbqrobnybbq Posts: 1,815
    Thanks - Adding that to the Xmas wish list.  Small list this year. 

Cyber-Q (Dream list)
    Cook Book (Serious BBQ for one)
    Heater (Above)

Garnerville, NY
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 14,665
    Kruegs said:

I'm in village's camp... But a $50 one... The rest on meat and beer.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • caliking said:
    Good idea.I've been thinking of buying an outdoor fireplace kind of thing or a chiminea - this might be better!

Friends don't let friends warm up with gas

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Little Steven correction friends don't let friends cook with Gas !!
    Long Island N.Y.
  • calikingcaliking Posts: 7,125
    I saw some chimineas (nonBGE) on sale recently for about $70, so might get one. SWMBO is more keen on an outdoor fire pit  though.
    henapple said:

I'm in village's camp... But a $50 one... The rest on meat and beer.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • @caliking - keep your mind on our Rockwood order. Your distractions worry me. :<)

Springram
    Spring, Texas
    LBGE and Mini
  • I was thinking about getting one of those tall outdoor heaters like restaurants use on their patios but I also have an awning so I really can't use both together.
    Knoxville, TN
  • twlangantwlangan Posts: 294
    I had 9 degrees above zero this morning when I lit my Egg to smoke my latest batch of bacon. My thoughts? "Finally some good grilling weather!".