Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Who’s ready for September? We’re ready as ever for football season! Check out our tailgating page for recipes that are great to bring to a tailgate, or cook at home if you’re entertaining friends during a game. Either way they’re sure to become a fan favorite! We couldn’t forget about Labor Day...we have recipes and cook out ideas to celebrate the long weekend no matter what you’re doing. And lastly, be sure to cook up a batch (or five) of bacon for National Bacon Day! We can’t wait to fall into cooler weather with you!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Smoked turkey to T-Day

I've smoked a turkey the last 3 thanksgivings and this year thinking about spatchcocking it. I brine and inject and use my favorite Cajun rub with apple chunks. I hear that spatchcocking shortens the cooking time. Is it all it's cracked up to be for turkey? I will do a 15lber. Love to hear some suggestions or comments? Thanks

Comments

• DMWDMW Posts: 7,270
    If you don't care about presenting the turkey whole, spatchcock it.
    My Facebook Place where I document my cooking
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - Hasty Bake Legacy - Black Stone Pizza Oven - Gasser - 30" Firepit w/SS Cooking Grid
  • This is the only way i cook turkey. You wont go wrong.
  • EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 11,570
    I don't because we carve at the table. Plus, I have not found any benefit to spatchcocking poultry besides the time savings. My unmolested birds come out just as moist but otherwise I do believe spatchcocking is a beneficial crutch since it allows everything to finish at once. I can accomplish the same thing with positioning. That's why I don't include it in my assessment.
  • Good stuff.  thanks for the comments.