Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Question on First Turkey Cook

Luvflt
Luvflt Posts: 63
edited November 2013 in EggHead Forum
:\">
Palm City, FL

Comments

• The answer is blue.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Luvflt
    :\">
    Palm City, FL
  • Well, when you put it like that..... The answer is 37.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • I don't think Travis paid attention to that last part. The answer is Jacques Cousteau 
    Killen, AL (The Shoals)
    XL, Small, Minimax, and Mini BGEs
  • Luvflt
    Sorry about the confusion but I was unable to get the forum to recognize my post. I had to use Firefox to make this work. Something must be amiss with IE. Here was my original post:

I did my first turkey (actually turkey breast) tonight. This was in preparation for a 21 lb. turkey I need to do for next week.
    Used apple wood for smoke, cooked indirect in rack sitting in drip pan raised (tin foil legs) above the grid. Cooked between 325
    and 350 degrees. In my opinion I think it turned out pretty good (sorry no pics timing was off and didn't pull it until after
    7 PM. Was in a hurry to eat and clean up...maybe next time). My questions is I pulled it when breast reached 160 using Thermapen
    then wrapped it in foil for maybe 10 min or so...was too hungry to wait any longer. Is the 160 degrees enough to eat or are you
    pulling it at 160 and resting it until it reaches a higher temp? The reason I ask is the meat was pink in some areas especially
    the thinner end of the breast near where the thigh would have been. The juice was clear so I am assuming the pink was the smoke
    ring from the apple wood chunks. I noticed the pink was also around just under the skin but the deep portion of the breast was
    done for sure. I guess I'm just checking to make sure I did it right and all I need to shoot for is 160 in the breast and 180
    in the thigh. I did use the CyberQ WiFi which held temp almost perfectly the entire time. I really didn't even open the lid until
    temps were around 150 just to double check.

The only thing I think I was off on was the timing to reach cooking temp. Started slow so as not to blow past target temp and it
    took almost 45 min. to reach target temp. I put the bird in anyway starting around 150 degrees as the smoke was going good and I
    figured if I am cooking to temp anyway it really wouldn't matter. Maybe that is why it added to my time to reach target temp.

Open to any comments, ideas, suggestions. Only have another week to get it right but so far not too bad for a beginner.

Palm City, FL
  • Why is Jameson so smooth? On my 5th or 6th and feeling a little hammered while watching Falcons vs Saints
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • Cooking a breast and a whole bird are two totally different animals in my opinion.  I hope you have a XL if you are doing a turkey that big.  If you have a CyberQ Wifi you have more then the tools to make the whole bird a successful cook. Keep reading the forum there are plenty of threads about doing turkey whether spatchcocked or traditional whole bird. 

@SmokinDAWG82 it's so smooth because it's not meant to be savored, it's meant to be consumed. 
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • Why is Jameson so smooth? On my 5th or 6th and feeling a little hammered while watching Falcons vs Saints
    I think the answer is elsewhere. What is the meaning of life? Leafs lost to Nashville. Life sucks

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Luvflt
    Yes I have XL BGE I know about the ice on the breast and legs towards rear etc I think I am just double checking on the temps and I wouldn't do spatchcock with this big sucker!!
    Palm City, FL
  • Yes, Angle the legs toward the rear and slide over halfway through the cook.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• The answer is blue.
    What is the airspeed of an unladen swallow?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• What, Do you mean African or European Swallow?

LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • I don't know

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Luvflt
    It is called Vno or maximum structural cruising speed. Depends on weight of bird. If swallow is laden Vno will be lower. This is the speed at which the wings will stall before any structural damage occurs. I can tell you it is faster than you or I can move without the aid of some other mechanical device.
    Palm City, FL
  • Luvflt said:
    Sorry about the confusion but I was unable to get the forum to recognize my post. I had to use Firefox to make this work. Something must be amiss with IE. Here was my original post:

I did my first turkey (actually turkey breast) tonight. This was in preparation for a 21 lb. turkey I need to do for next week.
    Used apple wood for smoke, cooked indirect in rack sitting in drip pan raised (tin foil legs) above the grid. Cooked between 325
    and 350 degrees. In my opinion I think it turned out pretty good (sorry no pics timing was off and didn't pull it until after
    7 PM. Was in a hurry to eat and clean up...maybe next time). My questions is I pulled it when breast reached 160 using Thermapen
    then wrapped it in foil for maybe 10 min or so...was too hungry to wait any longer. Is the 160 degrees enough to eat or are you
    pulling it at 160 and resting it until it reaches a higher temp? The reason I ask is the meat was pink in some areas especially
    the thinner end of the breast near where the thigh would have been. The juice was clear so I am assuming the pink was the smoke
    ring from the apple wood chunks. I noticed the pink was also around just under the skin but the deep portion of the breast was
    done for sure. I guess I'm just checking to make sure I did it right and all I need to shoot for is 160 in the breast and 180
    in the thigh. I did use the CyberQ WiFi which held temp almost perfectly the entire time. I really didn't even open the lid until
    temps were around 150 just to double check.

The only thing I think I was off on was the timing to reach cooking temp. Started slow so as not to blow past target temp and it
    took almost 45 min. to reach target temp. I put the bird in anyway starting around 150 degrees as the smoke was going good and I
    figured if I am cooking to temp anyway it really wouldn't matter. Maybe that is why it added to my time to reach target temp.

Open to any comments, ideas, suggestions. Only have another week to get it right but so far not too bad for a beginner.

You will always get a drop in temp when you put cold meat on. The hotter the ceramic the less time it will take to recover. I think you are better to give an extra few minutes on the warm up than put the cold mass on early.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• When you are a King you need to know these things...
    Chris
    St. Louis, MO
    Unit 1: LBGE, cedar table Unit 2:Akorn
  • But how do you know he's a king?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    You're all wrong. The answer is 42.