Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pepperoni and mushroom Pizza

Just thought I would post some pictures from last nights pizza cook. I cooked the pizza with the platesetter legs down, three green feet as spacers, and then the BGE pizza stone. Dome temp was at 650-700 for 30 minutes before putting on the first one. 

Pepperoni and mushroom is one of my favorite topping combos and this time I went with deli-sliced pepperonis, rather than packaged Hormel-brand pepperoni. It was a huge improvement in my opinion. Mostly because they didn't flood the pizza with grease! 

Here are the pics:

Fresh off the Egg:

Sliced up:

Underneath:

Thanks for reading!
- Proud owner of a Large BGE
- Norman, OK

Comments

• Sweet! Store-bought crust? I'm on point to do a bunch of pizzas for my daughter's birthday coming up. Probably going to cheat and buy the dough (Publix) just to make my life easier and the gaggle of little girls won't care...
    In the  Hinterlands between Cumming and Gainesville, GA
    Med BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe, Brinkman Dual Zone, Weber Genesis Gas Grill and portable gasser for boating
  • Hoov
    Hoov Posts: 264
    Nah, it's home-made. Went with 3.5 cups flour, 1 tsp salt, 1 tsp instant yeast, 1.5 cups water. It is a bit wet, but works well with high heat. I've never bought dough at the store before, but you may want to test it with your temperature/set up to make sure it will work out.
    - Norman, OK
  • jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    This looks practically perfect to me!  Just the right color crust and bottom.  Nice job!
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Nailed it good lookin pie
    Seattle, WA
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,432
    Agree, you nailed it!  Pepperoni/mushroom is probably my favorite combo too.  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• looks great...I cheat on crusts more often then not...we like em thin, Target stores sell a 2 pack of very thin crusts for $3.99...perfect imo...
    Making the neighbors jealous in Pleasant Hill, Ia one cook at a time...
  • texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Looks awesome!

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • Hoov
    Thanks for the kind words everyone. I posted the same pictures on a popular social media site and someone asked if there was mold on the bottom of the crust...hah. I guess some aren't used to the charred crust thing that you get when baking on a stone at high heat.
    - Norman, OK
  • I think it looks fantastic and I'm insanely jealous of the mushroom because my wife is allergic I don't get mushroom very often. 
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Those are some good lookin' pies. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Great looking pies. I could go for some of that for breakfat tomorrow. Just a tip on the Hormel pepperonis, if you don't like all the grease, nuke them for a bit and then dab off the grease then put on your pie. That being said, I bet the deli ones pack way more flavor.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Hoov
    Good idea on the pepperonis. I'll have to try that.
    - Norman, OK
  • LBC Dawg
    LBC Dawg Posts: 116
    that looks great. +1 on the deli sliced pepperoni. got some last couple times i did pizza and they were great. also got them to lop a block of whole milk mozzarella off and shredded myself instead of buying the pre-shredded stuff. was a lot better to me. 
  • Very nice! Now I'm hungry for pizza....
    Simi Valley, California
    LBGE, PBC, Annova, SMOBot
  • QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    Like the others said - Looks great!

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Looks like you nailed the elusive High-Temp-Wet-Dough-BGE-Pizza . . .  I am so jealous!

As you mentioned, the "Stone Heat" & "Dome Heat" needs to be a perfect match for your Dough.  I can whip out "very good" pizzas by picking up pre-made dough from a local pizza chain called DEWEYS PIZZA and baking at 500F . . . . but I am trying over and over for some homemade High-Temp-Wet-Dough-BGE-Pizza success like yours!  Currently, I got every kind of flour, a digital scale, and numerous failures (burnt bottom and pale top is typical) on my resume.  

It looks like you got it figured out, so could you share more details regarding your Dough?  For example, are you using AP flour, Bread flour or "00" flour?  KA mixer or food processor?  How long did you let it rise?  Also, how long was it on the pizza stone?  Great looking cook and thank you in advance.    
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • Hoov
    @NDG I think you will be quite underwhelmed when you hear about the flour and process I use, as you sound like you have done your homework on pizza.

I have also done my homework, but I haven't gotten around to purchasing a scale yet. So I use volume measurements. Look up Zippylip's stage 2 dough on this forum, that is essentially my process on a regular day. I even use the same cheap 25 lb sack of no-name Sam's club bread flour. However, for this particular cook, I wanted to eat today, so I left the dough in containers at room temperature for 1 hour, rather than over night. It worked out just fine with the short rise, much to my surprise. Also, I don't have a food processor or mixer, so I just knead by hand for about 8 minutes, or until sufficiently smooth I suppose. Don't have IR thermometer yet, so I'm not sure of the stone temp, but I will tell you my process:

1.) light lump filled to top of firebox (I'm not conservative on lump for pizza) with weed burner
    2.) when the fire is good an hot, and dome is reading 500-600, put in the ceramic pizza set up.
    3.) wait 20-30 minutes. Dome will settle in at 650-725.
    4.) launch pie and cook for 2 minutes, spin, cook 2more minutes. Usually done at 4 minutes, but I look in the top and check the toppings. Sometimes I look more so I can make sure the bottom is cooking ok.

Let me know if I missed any of your questions.

Best to you!
    - Norman, OK
  • NDG
    Great Stuff - it sounds like my issue is much more related to the cooking rather than the dough.  I let my stone get much hotter for longer . . . and never have done a "spin" while in the egg.  Your approach makes perfect sense since I am sure the stone has hot/cool spots.  I dont have an IR therm either, but your approach obviously works - so I cant wait to duplicate.  Thank you.
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • Hoov
    Good luck. I definitely don't get it right every time.
    - Norman, OK
  • NDG
    Just found the slideshow for Zippylip's stage 2 dough.  Looks perfect, cant believe I have never bumped into it before.  Also saw the shot on your singed hair from peeking at the ZA from the top - funny!

Columbus, OH

• Hoov
    Haha, yep! Be careful looking in the top when blue flames are shooting out or you will end up with frosted tips. When I'm being lazy with Zippylip's stage two recipe, I just add 3.5 cups of flour right at the beginning, autolyse, then knead and ball up the dough. Skipping the second rest and slowly adding the flour. I find 3.5 cups gives me sufficient hydration for high temps with 1.5 cups of water.
    - Norman, OK
  • flynnbob
    flynnbob Posts: 665
    Nice!!!
    Milton, GA.
  • I'll be right over, you nailed it
    Large, small, and a mini
  • NDG
    So I tried to recreate your pizza last night using @zippylip stage 2 dough.  I followed Zippys steps almost exactly, but I went with 50% caputo "00" flour and 50% king arthur bread flour.  It looked a little dry, compared to Zippys pictures, after the autolyse period (figured the h20 hungry "00" flour was the culprit) so I added more water to the mixer bowl during the 20 minute dough hook period.  In hindsight, I probably added too much water because the wet dough was near impossible to get off my peel and onto the stone!  I tried to work fast and avoid too much weight (just crushed tomato/mozz) but that thing wasnt moving.  Since my first pizza would not slide at all - I was forced to fold it over and make a calzone just to get it on my stone - such a bummer!  My second pie (finished pic below) was still super wet, but I was able to slide it off by using way too much flour on the peel (this made the crust a little sour as the excess flour burned on the hot stone).  

These issues are minor as my goal was a super wet dough to match my high heat cook.  My big problem I has was keeping my BGE hot enough, must have had an airflow issue or not enough coals, because my second pie went on at dome temp of 500 (I was shooting for 700+).  Anyway . . . I made some baby steps and I have a good idea what to change next time.  FAR from great - but figured I would share some pics . . .  one pic my dough before opening the dough ball (48 hours in fridge), one pic of my second pie dressed up, and one pic of a finished pie.  The finished pie took about 12 mins (i was shooting for a 6 minute pie) because of my heat problem.  Obviously, wet dough needs 650+ so my expectations were low and result was below average.  Overall I give this attempt a C- rating but I am excited to try the wet dough again assuming I can keep the egg over 700F!
    Columbus, OH