Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Who's Having Holiday Houseguests?

Fred19Flintstone
Fred19Flintstone Posts: 8,168
edited November 2013 in Off Topic
Most people have holiday houseguests over Christmas. Our holiday houseguest arrives this Saturday for 2.5 Weeks...my sainted MIL. Wilma has no idea she's coming and I'm excited for her. Me? I can hardly wait for the kitchen re-organization ritual that come with each visit. It will take Weeks to find everything. Looking on the bright side, playing cards will be nice.

Edit: A picture of family bliss.
Flint, Michigan

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Have 4 from out of town and 6 from the area and 2 of us. 12 in not bad, small dinner. Spatchcocked turkey and Naked Ham.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Having 6 plus the 2 of us, only 2 staying overnight though. Family is good, Food will be great
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • We will be having 26 for our family Christmas.  Pulled pork, pulled beef and turkey breast are the BGE contributions to dinner.  I would like to make a few other items but SWMBO said let some of others bring their favorite holiday dishes.
    Edina, MN

• Most people have holiday houseguests over Christmas. Our holiday houseguest arrives this Saturday for 2.5 Weeks...my sainted MIL. Wilma has no idea she's coming and I'm excited for her. Me? I can hardly wait for the kitchen re-organization ritual that come with each visit. It will take Weeks to find everything. Looking on the bright side, playing cards will be nice. Edit: A picture of family bliss. image

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Most people have holiday houseguests over Christmas. Our holiday houseguest arrives this Saturday for 2.5 Weeks...my sainted MIL. Wilma has no idea she's coming and I'm excited for her. Me? I can hardly wait for the kitchen re-organization ritual that come with each visit. It will take Weeks to find everything. Looking on the bright side, playing cards will be nice.

Edit: A picture of family bliss.

Pearl Slaghoople

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,736
    xmas here is always 1 day, thanksgiving is more laid back, starts wednesday with drinks and appetizers etc and finishes up sunday. been up at camp the last 10 years
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Pearl dyes her hair blonde these days and Elaine calls her Yellow Grandma. Last summer she showed up with gray hair and Elaine was shaken. The good people at Clairol restored order.
    Flint, Michigan
  • You are a good man Fred! A lot better man than I am. If my MIL came for 2 1/2 weeks I would have to check myself into the insane asylum. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    You are a good man Fred! A lot better man than I am. If my MIL came for 2 1/2 weeks I would have to check myself into the insane asylum. 

I'd move in with Little Steven
  • I can do 2.5 Weeks. Its the 6 Weeks in the summer thats hard. Booze only goes so far!
    Flint, Michigan
  • We are heading out of town and to visit FIL and eat at the local grubbery. It's actually pretty good but it's not Thanksgiving in my book. Upside is that Txsgvng dinner is not on my shoulders this year. Home for Christmas and it's just the family - most excellent!

In the  Hinterlands between Cumming and Gainesville, GA
    Med BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe, Brinkman Dual Zone, Weber Genesis Gas Grill and portable gasser for boating
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,646
    I have a great MIL. I may think that because in 20 years she has never stayed at my house.

I'll be feeding about 10-15 on Thanksgiving and about 25 on Christmas Eve. No sleepovers though.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Eggcelsior
    I can do 2.5 Weeks. Its the 6 Weeks in the summer thats hard. Booze only goes so far!
    You live in Flint. Cocaine is a hell of a drug.

• GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    edited November 2013
    We are leaving town for the holidays but we have cooked 2 turkey's, 5 turkey breasts, 2 quarts of turkey broth, 1 ham and a pot of chile and T day is a week away. ;;)
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • I'll stick to my usual beers & bourbon.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Im having a house full all the inlaws and maybe my brother and his tribe
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Doing our 13th Thanksgiving this year... Small group. My inlaws and mother.
  • GK59
    GK59 Posts: 501

Just the 3 of us for Thanksgiving. Of course I cook for 12. Lots of leftovers.

When the in-laws come over for Christmas they eat like it's their last meal before going to the chair.

Smitty's Kid's BBQ

Bay City,MI

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    I have 8 in laws coming and LEAVING for Thanksgiving. Christmas will be the same 8 plus 5 2 adults 3 hoodlums!!

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • I'm driving from central Texas to Florida (12 hours) on thanksgiving eve. I'm not happy about it.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • I have 8 in laws coming and LEAVING for Thanksgiving. Christmas will be the same 8 plus 5 2 adults 3 hoodlums!!
    WAIT A MINUTE!!!  You mean they come to your home and leave the same day???  Sheeeaaattt!!!  Christmas supper is at my brother's house this year, but we will do him the favor of leaving in the evening.
    Flint, Michigan
  • 2 children home from college for 4 days. Good times and wtf times
    XL   Walled Lake, MI

• Eggcelsior

I'm driving from central Texas to Florida (12 hours) on thanksgiving eve. I'm not happy about it.

Especially with the possible rain. I'll be headed from 1 hour north of DC to Myrtle Beach on Tuesday night. Good luck.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    A few family members over... Wish I had that old drunk uncle... I hate drinking alone. Bloody Marys while I "tend" the egg, good cigar and brace myself for the dysfunctional hell that is my family. Christmas eve is filet and lobster for the immediate family and mil. Christmas morning I cook a big breakfast and open house with finger foods for the visitors after we open gifts.

12 lb fresh turkey... 3 hrs. What's that, 8 cocktails.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Eggcelsior
    @henapple, any crazy chain letters?
  • I don't have near the dwelling to entertain when It's not nice enough to put some people outside so we will go to my parents house Thanksgiving eve, and my sister-in-law's Thanksgiving day.  I'll do a pork loin to take to my parents, still trying to infiltrate my sister-in-law's meal with anything more then a appetizer. 
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • I don't have near the dwelling to entertain when It's not nice enough to put some people outside so we will go to my parents house Thanksgiving eve, and my sister-in-law's Thanksgiving day.  I'll do a pork loin to take to my parents, still trying to infiltrate my sister-in-law's meal with anything more then a appetizer. 

IMO, doing a killer appetizer is memorable.  In years passed, we would go to my sister's for Thanksgiving.  We were allowed to bring beer, a pie and an appetizer.  Over the years, I made some appetizers that fell flat, but some had rave reviews.  One that had rave reviews was pulled pork egg rolls.

My sister has control issues and so I learned to take what she gave me and to be happy with it.

Flint, Michigan
  • flemster
    flemster Posts: 269
    Sister and the nephews are coming. BIL has to stay home for work. The boys love the EGG and for the 4 days they are here have already requested the classics: pulled pork, brisket, ribs... It will be a blast.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

Keywords: Gator, Nashvegas, LBGE, Looftlighter, Thermapen in Racing Green (faster than the red one!), PSWOO2, Spider with CI, IQ120
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457

I have 8 in laws coming and LEAVING for Thanksgiving. Christmas will be the same 8 plus 5 2 adults 3 hoodlums!!

WAIT A MINUTE!!!  You mean they come to your home and leave the same day???  Sheeeaaattt!!!  Christmas supper is at my brother's house this year, but we will do him the favor of leaving in the evening.

Yep!!! No overnighters at Casa de Matt.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    Just me stayin at home, turkey breast for me & a turkey leg or two for the cat's. Oh, and a shirt load of beer. \:D/

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.