Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Refurbished Egg

Options
I have have about half and Egg, the base and the fire box.  The base was replaced by BGE because of a crack.  I remember reading somewhere that someone
used some JB weld to fix their base.

My question is,

I would need a top, fire ring, and a spring assist band, and a nest.  

Do you think it would be worth it or should I just set it outside on garbage day and cry.

Thanks in advance,

Bob

Comments

• jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    You can buy all of the parts you need but I have no idea what it will cost.  I would call the Big Green Egg retail store in Tucker, GA and get the part number and the price.  You can find the number on the dealer locator.  
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • BobsBGE
    Options
    I rehabed a small older egg using JB weld on both the top and base.  Got some high temp spay paint from an auto parts store and painted it to look similar to an original green egg.  It came out pretty good and my son wanted an egg so he has it now.  The only real problem with using JB weld is it is only rated to about 500 degree F (I think--it's on the label/instructions).  My son uses it mainly for low and slow cooks so it's not an issue for him but it is a cheap fix if you can live with the limitations.
    Fayetteville, Ga
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,025
    edited November 2013
    Options
    If you use JB Weld on the base you will have to use it exclusively for low and slow as it will not hold with high heat. Others have mentioned some type of high heat fireplace mixture that might work for cracks. I wish I could remember the name brand but can't recall offhand.
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • skyhopsing
    Options
  • SmokinDAWG82
    Options
    It would make a nice flower pot
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • ChuckChampion
    Options
    +1 on the flowerpot idea