Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BGE in the Garage?

Options

Hi Everyone, the weather here in Michigan is raining and blowing pretty good and I was wondering if any of you cooked on your eggs in your garage. I have cooked on my gasser in the garage for years by just rolling it to the open doorway and cooking on it then rolling it back out of the way once its cooled.

Thanks,

Chuck

www.chuckkingcomedy.com

Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE

Comments

• bicktrav
    bicktrav Posts: 640
    Options
    I don't live in a cold weather environment like that, so I can't relate to the problem quite as much, but personally I would never egg in the garage. Even near an open doorway, burning charcoal amounts to a really good amount of carbon monoxide. Not a smart move in my opinion.
    Southern California
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Make sure you cook in a well ventilated area. Open the garage door as much as you can tolerate, and any garage windows if you have them. Slide your cooker towards the garage door.  Gassers don't emit carbon monoxide - burning charcoal does. CO is colorless and odorless - can make you and your family very very sick. And yes it can kill you too.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Not to mention what an errant spark can do.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    I'd be way too worried about CO to try. If you do, make sure you have a good CO detector. I've Egged in all kind of weather, even standing out with an umbrella to get it lit.
    Grillmagic Posts: 1,600
    Options

BIG THANKS! I never even considered the carbon monoxide danger. I have a 2 and 1/2 car garage with a 8ft high double over head garage door  plus a side entrance door that I would open, I think I am going to try and do it just on the out side of my garage were I can stand inside with the grill centered in the middle of the double over head door on the out side. I Maybe using the gasser or oven today. How are ABT's in the oven? I hope I haven't offended the ABT Gods...

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,336
    Options
    The BGE could not care about weather-the cook, another story!  But you only need to load it up and then give it the requisite supervisory adult beverage fueled oversight and you are "good to go".  Don't let the weather drive the BGE cook eggsperience-Just an opinion...
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    edited November 2013
    Options
    Chris Capell - creator of the Dizzy Pig line of rubs lost his home to fire by using his BGE in his garage. I would not run the risk for the sake of getting wet! A raincoat is cheaper than a home!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options

I live in Flint.  When it's raining, snowing or sleeting, I cook just inside the garage right next to the open bay door.  When it's not precipitating, I'm outside the garage in the driveway. I hope your cook goes well. 

Flint, Michigan
  • Grillmagic
    Options
    RRP said:
    Chris Capell - creator of the Dizzy Pig line of rubs lost his home to fire by using his BGE in his garage. I would not run the risk for the sake of getting wet! A raincoat is cheaper than a home!
    Thanks for that info, Wow! Did the house burn down in the process of cooking or after he shut it down?
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Thanks for that info, Wow! Did the house burn down in the process of cooking or after he shut it down?
    I don't recall, but maybe Little Steven can help here as his home also burnt about that same time and he and Chris talked on a regular basis - or maybe Chris himself will pop in.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • EggNorth
    EggNorth Posts: 1,535
    Options
    I've cooked in freezing rain, snow, rain, heavy wind, sub zero, etc outside. BGE just seems to laugh and go on it's way. I would imagine cooking inside would be an out for an insurance company if anything happens. Not to mention, wouldn't the ceilling get all black?
    Dave
    Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    Large (2010), Mini Max (2015), Large garden pot (2018)
  • Scottborasjr
    Options
    I don't really see it being a problem as long as you don't leave the egg unattended and do what @Fred19Flintstone, suggests. It's no different then any other time you use your Egg, if you are intelligent about it you should be fine.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    edited November 2013
    Options
    RRP said:
    I don't recall, but maybe Little Steven can help here as his home also burnt about that same time and he and Chris talked on a regular basis - or maybe Chris himself will pop in.
    Chris wasn't actually cooking in the garage as I remember. I think it was an ember that blew into his open garage and landed on newspapers that were in there. My fire was caused by using a gasser sideburner with a bag of open lump underneath. A spider or something fell into the bag and stared it. Regardless it is not a fun time and it cost me all the money I had in savings and 7 years and running to get the house in order. A lawsuit against the insurance company was settled out of court but I didn't get legals. $155,000.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• caliking
    Options
    What about an ez-up? Egg goes outside, you stay in the garage.

• grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    Co2 is lighter than air so it can end up in your basement depending on how yournhousemisnset up. I know when I run my pressure washer right outside them garage door my co2 detectors go off downstairs. Split level home with door to access lower level
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• Nsdexter
    Nsdexter Posts: 195
    Options
    I egged for years in ottawa and would never consider using it inside,
    HFX NS
  • CP92
    CP92 Posts: 321
    Options
    Do it all the time.  But that might be the reason I have a headache right now. :)

Seriously though, anything around 350-400ish I've done in side.  I leave the garage door open and haven't had an issue yet.
    Chris
    LBGE
    Hughesville, MD
  • Pinkfacemark
    Options
    I have used mine in a screened in porch, with the door open and a portable box fan blowing the smoke out.  I haven't lost that many brain cells...... yet. 
    Large BGE from Normal, IL 
  • caliking
    Options
    Chris wasn't actually cooking in the garage as I remember. I think it was an ember that blew into his open garage and landed on newspapers that were in there. My fire was caused by using a gasser sideburner with a bag of open lump underneath. A spider or something fell into the bag and stared it. Regardless it is not a fun time and it cost me all the money I had in savings and 7 years and running to get the house in order. A lawsuit against the insurance company was settled out of court but I didn't get legals. $155,000.
    Whoa. That's a sobering story. Of all things, I wouldn't have thought an insect could ignite a bag of lump like that.

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    caliking said:

Whoa. That's a sobering story. Of all things, I wouldn't have thought an insect could ignite a bag of lump like that.
    Actually spiders are arachnids.  I correct grammar in my spare time, too.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Got to be better than sticking your head in an oven. Real good Egg smells on the way out.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• caliking
    Options

caliking said:

Actually spiders are arachnids.  I correct grammar in my spare time, too.

Touche. More taxonomy than grammar though!

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    Yes, but no less annoying.
    Flint, Michigan
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Hell, I've been using a heat gun or mapp torch. I'll start collecting spiders.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Little Steven
    Options
    caliking said:
    It took several hours for the bag to burn open. When it did it toppled on the wooden deck and the natural gas line for the old gasser.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    CO is not something that should be taken lightly, I would maybe store the BBQ in the garage and roll it out for the cook. CO could kill you in less than 30 minutes depending on the PPM (parts per million).

I personally don't have frigid temperatures and very little rain, but my next house will have an open air area that has a covered section to bbq when it does rain.
  • Cymbaline65
    Options
    I would not do it. As an experiment, I would assume you have a CO2 detector in the house? Take it outside to the garage and see if the numbers change. Also, any kind of wood smoke could get ugly.
    In the  Hinterlands between Cumming and Gainesville, GA
    Med BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe, Brinkman Dual Zone, Weber Genesis Gas Grill and portable gasser for boating
  • otter
    otter Posts: 342
    Options
    Grill magic, where in Michigan are you?
    Pure Michigan
    Grand Rapids, Michigan  LBGE, SBGE
  • Grillmagic
    Options
    Otter I live in Dimondale (Lansing on the map)
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Buy a parakeet.. Or two
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN