Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s that time of year again-time to hop on out to your backyard for an EGG hunt. If you’re lucky, you’ll only have to search as far as your patio! Planning on cooking Easter Sunday? Check out our Easter Menu. If you’re looking for a sweet treat to enjoy with the whole family, try at least one of our sweet treats, if not both: Grilled Peeps & Carrot Cupcakes. Lastly, if you’re having company, our Pinterest page has lots of ideas for entertaining. We hope you have an EGGstra tasty holiday!

The Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new location and check out the museum! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

getting ready to do my first clean burn on my 13 year old//safety?

2»

Comments

• I scrapped off the top and bottom gaskets. They were toast, Next I will have to take coarse sand paper or a razor blade and try to get it white like in the videos. I will take acetone and a blade to it. I have the red hi temp RTV and a  Rutland stove .gasket. It says Grapho-Glas on the package.
    It gray in color and flat
    Jefferson .GA.  
    Been egging since 1985 on a medium egg
    ·
  • YEMTreyYEMTrey Posts: 2,096
    laserdoc, when I fried my gasket.  I used a pumice stone to clean the surface where the new gasket was going to go.  Worked like a charm.
    XL BGE and Mini Max in Cincinnati, Ohio
    "REMEMBER DUANE ALLMAN"
    ·
  • will go to ace tomorrow to get one
    Jefferson .GA.  
    ·
  • calikingcaliking Posts: 6,585
    If you are installing the Rutland gasket, the Naked Whiz site has good instructions. You may have already seen this: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/rutlandgasket/gasket.htm

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
    ·
  • bud812bud812 Posts: 1,329
    Rutland gasket only goes on the bottom not the top too.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

·
  • Use a 3m sanding wheel for you drill. Takes the gunk right off of the rim. I believe it tells that on the Whiz's site too
    Mark Annville, PA
    ·
  • AquacopAquacop Posts: 467
    Cant wait to see the final product, that was some serious seasoning after 13 years.
    LBGE 2013 Located in Savannah, Georgia
    ·
  • YEMTrey said:
    laserdoc, when I fried my gasket.  I used a pumice stone to clean the surface where the new gasket was going to go.  Worked like a charm.
    Where did you get the pumice stone?
    Jefferson .GA.  
    ·
  • RRPRRP Posts: 14,667
    Use a 3m sanding wheel for you drill. Takes the gunk right off of the rim. I believe it tells that on the Whiz's site too
    Yup...image
    Ron
    Dunlap, IL
    ·
  • Hungry JoeHungry Joe Posts: 1,102
    I know I am a little late on this but maybe will help the next guy. Scrape your gasket off while the egg is still around 250 degrees or as hot as you feel comfortable. I will come off almost clean using just a scraper and from personal experience it is a whole lot easier. 
    ·
  • I know I am a little late on this but maybe will help the next guy. Scrape your gasket off while the egg is still around 250 degrees or as hot as you feel comfortable. I will come off almost clean using just a scraper and from personal experience it is a whole lot easier. 
     Did that
    Jefferson .GA.  
    ·
  • 4Runner4Runner Posts: 1,480
    I take mine apart every now and then and scrub the insides really well. Good luck.
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
    ·
  • CookinbobCookinbob Posts: 1,436
    Anxious to see the inside once cleaned up. May need a second burn!
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
    ·
  • When I put the new gasket on today do I pull the slack out are push it together to bunch it up when Im sticking it to the rim. / Make it tight and flat on bunched up as I go around.
    I will have to work fast since Im using that red hi temp RTV as a stickum. I figure I need to lay down one bead a 1/4 of the way around and stick the gasket to it then proceed to the next section.
    Jefferson .GA.  
    ·
  • KruegsKruegs Posts: 124
    When I put on mine (not sure if we're talking about the same gasket) I did NOT take out the slack.  You have to bunch it up slightly as you go around while still making sure you have enough to get all the way around.  I think I only had about 4-6 inches left to cut off when I was done.
    XL BGE; CyberQ Wifi; Adjustable Rig, Woo2 Green Bay, Wisconsin
    ·
  • Since this is a medium I'm sure I will have enough if I stretch it out or Bunch it up. It is the Rutland gasket
    Jefferson .GA.  
    ·
  • Let us know how it goes today when u start installing the new gasket laserdoc.  I'm really looking forward to seeing your pics after its all done!!
    ·
  • bud812bud812 Posts: 1,329
    When I put the new gasket on today do I pull the slack out are push it together to bunch it up when Im sticking it to the rim. / Make it tight and flat on bunched up as I go around.
    I will have to work fast since Im using that red hi temp RTV as a stickum. I figure I need to lay down one bead a 1/4 of the way around and stick the gasket to it then proceed to the next section.
    The silicone RTV does not dry very fast at all, no need to rush.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

·
  • Ok here are pics of the egg all cleaned up. Well at least as far as Im going with it. It will be all black again.
     I scraped what I could off the inside with a putty knife In all actuality I guess it could use another burn since there is a bit of tar left at the bottom of the egg. All in all Im satisfied with the out come.
    Next stop the gasket
    Jefferson .GA.  
    ·
  • All clean and dressed up and ready to go!!
     Next stop for the egg will be a new table that Im finishing up
    Jefferson .GA.  
    ·
  • wow...night and day...
    Making the neighbors jealous in Pleasant Hill, Ia one cook at a time...
    ·
  • If you are putting a Rutland back on you only need the bottom.  
    Dan, Columbia,Mo.
    ·
  • ok here it is!!
    Looks like a grey martian landscape.
     Will clean later today or tomorrow and post more pics. I'm busy building a table for the egg
    A big ball of foil is in order.  I might even consider a second clean burn or a high temp pizza.  :-)
    Dan, Columbia,Mo.
    ·
  • jtippersjtippers Posts: 509
    Looks great!
    LBGE April 2011 • SBGE December 2012 •  XLBGE December 2013
    ·
  • Thanks to all that helped me do this. She turned into a new egg after all that black goo egg resin was burned off
    Jefferson .GA.  
    ·
  • jaydub58jaydub58 Posts: 1,425
    Depends on what replacement gasket you use.  If a Rutland, like from RRP, just put it on the base only, don't bother with the dome, just clean the lip of it real well.
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
    ·